Is It Only Me Who Doesn't See The Appeal In A Lamy Safari?

Blazing

Hello,

I know I've only had one fountain pen so far in the Lamy Safari, but after a while of using it I've recognised some issues in the Lamy Safari and I for one do not understand the appeal to it.

The nib itself feels very scratchy at times and constantly false starts for me. When the ink has been used for a while, I need to unscrew the barrel to twist the converter so that it pushes the ink down as the ink will either not come out at all or produce very little amounts of dry ink.

That leads me to another point. I use this pen every day and it's supposed to be a school pen. This means that I have to ink it a lot with my bottle and converter. I find that the ink sometimes bubbles at the top of the converter so I need to flush it out again and keep trying until the ink actually goes to the top for a full tank.

Anyone agree? Disagree? Explain why.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blazing

• CharlieTurtle

• lovemy51

• chad.trent

I have a Safari, a Vista, and an Al-Star (same pen basically). All have F nibs. I have not noticed the problems you describe.

What size nib do you have? What ink are you using? When you say "When the ink has been used for a while" how long is "a while"?

I have a Safari, a Vista, and an Al-Star (same pen basically). All have F nibs. I have not noticed the problems you describe.

What size nib do you have? What ink are you using? When you say "When the ink has been used for a while" how long is "a while"?

Once about 1/3 has been used up from the converter over 2-3 days. That is "a while".

I use M nib with Lamy Blue ink.

Actually, after re-reading your last paragraph and seeing you mention bubbling in the converter, I wonder if maybe your converter is leaking where it joins the section. That would likely account for the problems you are having.

Do you have another converter you can try? Or maybe a cartridge just to see if the problem is the converter or the nib?

Edited by chad.trent

Actually, after re-reading your last paragraph and seeing you mention bubbling in the converter, I wonder if maybe your converter is leaking where it joins the section. That would likely account for the problems you are having.

Do you have another converter you can try? Or maybe a cartridge just to see if the problem is the converter or the nib?

No leaking. I've seen others with the same problem.

The Safari is one of the gateway fountain pens. It's purpose is to hook unwary writers into the world of fountain pen obsession. Consider yourself hooked. Now save up some money and buy another, nicer fountain pen (search FPN for student pen related posts. You'll see suggestions ranging from TWSBI 580 to Lamy 2000 to vintage Sheaffers and whatnot)

Sounds to me with 'scratchy' you either have a nib whose tines are uneven, and if you have a loupe of 10-12 or 15 X that you do need to see if the tines or aligned.....

or in that you are a one fountain pen user that you are holding it like a ball point pen before the big knuckle of your index finger.. That is a common problem for new fountain pen users.

Put the pen behind the index knuckle, at 45 degrees, at the start of the web of your thumb at 40 degrees or in the pit of the web of your thumb at 35 degrees.

So it does the same thing with a cartridge???????

In converters are often trouble makers...that you have "seen" that problem in other Safari's has nothing to say about the shape of the converters. Could be the other or others also have 'bad' converters.

There are many threads about bad converters.

And tricks to get them to work.

I have mostly piston pens so don't have many converters, and the two I have work fine, even the one in my Safari. Whoops...no wonder I don't have a problem...I have a cartridge in it. :D

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

The convertors is my Safari and Al-Star both work fine. However the one in my Parker... -.-

You can spot a writer a mile off, they're the ones meandering in the wrong direction muttering to themselves and almost walking into every second lamppost.

Was it like this from when it was new or has it only started doing it recently?

When was the last time you flushed the pen and gave the nib section a good soak in some water?

Have you noticed a lack of ink flow at all, or is it constant?

Have you removed the Converter and reseated it (made made sure the little clips are correctly seated) to make sure there is no issue there?

How long have you had the pen?

How much pressure do you use when writing?

Honestly, it's too hard to tell what is wrong with the details you have given. I have 5 Lamy Safari's/AL Stars all up, and all with a M nib, and all are super smooth and lay down nice wet lines. No issues with the converters (and I use converters in all 4) or anything, and they are used very extensively. It is possible you got a dud nib or your feed is clogged, but can't tell from what you have said.

Edited by msolok

<p>Currently collection:<strong>Lamy Safari's</strong> x5, <strong>Lamy Al Star's</strong> x3, <strong>Lamy Studio's </strong>x2, A <strong>Lamy 2000</strong>, <strong>Kaweco Sports/AL Sports</strong> x7, <strong>Noodlers pens (Konrad and Ahab)</strong> x10, <strong>Noodlers Konrad Ebonite</strong> x2, <strong>Hero 616</strong> x10, <strong>Reform 1745</strong> x10, <strong>Sailor 1911m</strong> x2, <strong>Sailor 1911 Realo</strong> x3, <strong>Sailor Pro Gear Realo</strong> x2, <strong>Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black</strong>, <strong>Sailor 1911 Sterling Silver</strong>, <strong>Visconti Opera Club Cherry Juice</strong> (M <span>Dreamtouch</span> Nib), <strong>Visconti Opera Elements </strong>x3 (Amber and Black with M <span>Dreamtouch</span> Nib, Blue with M Gold Nib), <strong>Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Maxi</strong>, <strong>Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age</strong>, <strong>Montblanc 146 Le Grande</strong>... Plus I am sure I have forgotten some.

Hello,That leads me to another point. I use this pen every day and it's supposed to be a school pen. This means that I have to ink it a lot with my bottle and converter. I find that the ink sometimes bubbles at the top of the converter so I need to flush it out again and keep trying until the ink actually goes to the top for a full tank.

How fast do you turn the converter knob thingie? I used to get bubbles in my Lamy Studio's tank until I learned to turn it slowly.

Low cost, many barrel colors and easily acquired. They are a good starter pen, I have a couple, one is kind of scratchy but it doesn't give me any other troubles. Sorry for the issues you are having, I'm sure the many great people on here can help.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4f_4pakI/AAAAAAAAA14/_d-MITGtqvY/s320/InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg

LOL! Well there you go. The issue is your pen has been damaged.

<p>Currently collection:<strong>Lamy Safari's</strong> x5, <strong>Lamy Al Star's</strong> x3, <strong>Lamy Studio's </strong>x2, A <strong>Lamy 2000</strong>, <strong>Kaweco Sports/AL Sports</strong> x7, <strong>Noodlers pens (Konrad and Ahab)</strong> x10, <strong>Noodlers Konrad Ebonite</strong> x2, <strong>Hero 616</strong> x10, <strong>Reform 1745</strong> x10, <strong>Sailor 1911m</strong> x2, <strong>Sailor 1911 Realo</strong> x3, <strong>Sailor Pro Gear Realo</strong> x2, <strong>Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black</strong>, <strong>Sailor 1911 Sterling Silver</strong>, <strong>Visconti Opera Club Cherry Juice</strong> (M <span>Dreamtouch</span> Nib), <strong>Visconti Opera Elements </strong>x3 (Amber and Black with M <span>Dreamtouch</span> Nib, Blue with M Gold Nib), <strong>Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Maxi</strong>, <strong>Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age</strong>, <strong>Montblanc 146 Le Grande</strong>... Plus I am sure I have forgotten some.

Well, I have no desire to own a Safari. Perhaps because so many say I should and I am defiant. I would like to try a 2000 as it is something of an icon being the same design since 1966? Got to be some there there.

They're really comfortable to write with. Not much to look at but mine writes well and is very convenient.

I have to say out of all the Lamys and I have several of their pen types for daily carry and work (Dialogue 2,Dialogue 3, 2 multi pens, and their multi-highlighter...) the Safari doesn't do anything for me.

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing." Albert Einstein

Hello,

I find that the ink sometimes bubbles at the top of the converter so I need to flush it out again and keep trying until the ink actually goes to the top for a full tank.

Anyone agree? Disagree? Explain why.

Bubbling ink can only be caused by two things: you're pullling in the ink too quickly and reducing the pressure to near vacuum or you have a leak. Or, maybe, you're raising the nib above the surface of the ink. Okay, three things.

The Safari is a cool pen, inexpenisve, an excellent writer and it uses the sae nibs as many of the Lamy pens. If Lamy nibs were scratchy, no one would use them and the contrary is where we are at: Lamy nibs rule. Can you talk to merchant? Offer to pay half for a new, replacement nib?

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

I bought several Safari's to use at work, thinking I wouldn't be too upset if they were 'borrowed'. However, I just couldn't get used to the shape of the section. I found them really uncomfortable to write with. After a while, my handwriting started to suffer, and my hand and forearm began to ache. I sold them on Classified and replaced them with Pilot 78Gs.

Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Philippians 4.8