Replacement For Sheaffer Peacock Blue?

2GreyCats

Recently a friend gave her entire stash of pens/inks. This stash included a number of NOS and partly evaporated cartridges, and some of them were Skrip peacock blue.

I've added water to them and they write fine, but my supply is not infinite. What ink would make the best 'ringer' of Sheaffer peacock?

"What the space program needs is more English majors." -- Michael Collins, Gemini 10/Apollo 11

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cedargirl

• amberleadavis

• Harlequin

• ac12

I can't say too much as I've never been overly fond of Peacock blue, but how about J. Herbin Bleu Pervenche, it seems to have that same "brightness" to it. Of course, I am just guessing on that, going from what I recall Peacock Blue looked like.

I used to love Sheaffer's Peacock Blue. I used mine up long ago.

I tried various turquoises as a replacement but they weren't the same. I have been wondering lately whether Diamine Havasu Turquoise was a better match, but I haven't bought any to try.

Tenet insanabile multos scribendi cacoethes.

Many are possessed by the incurable urge to write.

Juvenal

Modern Sheaffer Turquoise is pretty close to Peacock Blue but it's not a dead ringer. (I believe I'm down to maybe 8 or 10 cartridges of Peacock Blue myself.) I'm quite pleased with Omas Turquoise but can't recall without a test how close it is to Peacock Blue.

I loved Peacock Blue for years but I tried Noodler's Navajo Turquoise and like that one even better. It shades so nicely.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

I loved Peacock Blue for years but I tried Noodler's Navajo Turquoise and like that one even better. It shades so nicely.

I think you might be right. I just compared the too online and the Navajo looks more like Peacock Blue than the Havasu. They both shade. I might have a closer look at Navajo T.

Tenet insanabile multos scribendi cacoethes.

Many are possessed by the incurable urge to write.

Juvenal

A mixture of equal parts Watermans South Seas Blue and Noodler's Navajo Turquoise is supposed to be so close it's nearly impossible to tell them apart other than that the mixture is probably a bit more water resistant. Peacock is washable, completely.

Watermans has changed the names of their inks recently, and I don't know what the new name is for the correct ink.

I used lots of Peacock back in my younger days, but now find it too bright.

Peter

Waterman South Seas Blue is now Waterman Inspired Blue; Florida Blue is now Serenity Blue; Blue Black is now Mysterious Blue.

Sailor Yama dori?

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

Just recently we swabbed a line from a new old stock full un-opened bottle of Sheaffer Peacock Blue which showed no signs of any evaporation whatsoever. Also a line from a brand new bottle of Sheaffer Turquoise. Tough to tell which was which, such a close match.

Sam

I grew up on Peacock Blue and indulge in Ku-Jaku now. Pricey, but performs in every pen I try it in and rinses well.

Peacock Blue is a great color and I covet my bottle. Here is a doodle from fellow FPNer, Sailor Kenshin.

http://sheismylawyer.com/INK/attachments/2012-06-12_06_small.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Also, PB looks very different depending on nib and paper.

http://sheismylawyer.com/INK/attachments/163-original.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the info guys

I may be able to see "peacock blue" again.

I just took a look at online samples of Visconti turquoise, Ku-jaku and Sheaffer Turquoise.

Wow. I can't imagine a whole page of either turquoise, turquoise is a bright ink.

But as I found out and the sample above shows, the brightness/darkness of the ink on the paper depends on how dry/wet the pen lays down the ink.

I guess my eyes were different in grade school (besides my vision was better back then).

It might be fun to get a bottle of turquoise and see how it looks, and to drift back to the "old days."

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

• 1 month later...

I finally got my bottle of Sheaffers Turquoise and inked up a pen.

I was happy and disappointed.

I was glad to find an ink that looks like the old peacock blue, but it did not meet my expectations.

But, I was probably expecting too much. Time and taste changes and I was expecting to like it again. But my taste in colors has changed over time and I now prefer richer deeper colors. So while the turquoise is indeed nice, it just does not "ring the bell" for me like it used to. :wacko: Fooey

So it will be a special use ink, rather than a regular use ink.

I also found that as expected it wants a wet pen and at least a M nib.

If the ink line is too narrow or dry, the color washes out against the white paper.

Thanks for the lead guys, if I had not tried it, I would have been wishing forever without knowing.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I grew up on Peacock Blue and indulge in Ku-Jaku now. Pricey, but performs in every pen I try it in and rinses well.

I have also put this ink in my Pelikan M200 and love it such a beautiful colour.

I think you might be right. I just compared the too online and the Navajo looks more like Peacock Blue than the Havasu. They both shade. I might have a closer look at Navajo T.

Navajo Turquoise is FANTASTIC stuff :D Even if it's not a match for the ink you're looking for, it's worth a buy!