Contest: Why Should You Have This Antique Seal?

WayTooManyHobbies

Greetings, everyone.

Just in case this thread lasts a while, today is 7 April 2013. The contest being described will be over by 14 April 2013.

I recently won an antique seal on Ebay, and have decided that it is far too nice to sit here and do nothing. Accordingly, I'd like to send it to someone who will use and appreciate it, and thought a contest might be interesting.

The seal has a brown wood handle with an oval brass head, and seems quite well made. It has obviously seen quite a bit of use, and the imprint is a bit worn but still readable. The initials are O.R.N.

So, here are the rules. Please describe why a seal with the letters O.R.N. would mean something special to you. It can be in the form of a story, a letter, a picture, a drawing, or a poem. I will choose the top 3 posts, and then create a second listing to allow voting by the community for the winner. Your entry must be posted by 7 PM EST on Thursday, 11 April. I will post the second listing on Friday, and voting will close by 7 PM EST on Sunday, 14 April.

This contest is open to residents of the United States only, unless the winner wishes to cover shipping cost to their location. Sorry, folks, if that cuts you out.

Here are some pictures of the prize. Good luck!

fpn_1365348297__seal-ebay.jpg

fpn_1365281199__orn_sealjpg.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WayTooManyHobbies

• Flounder

• Paddler

• Scrawler

I'm out of the running, but if I had this seal, I would end all my correspondence with it. "Omnes Responsum Nescio" (I don't have all the answers).

OOH -- I like this. Even if you're not in the running, I personally think you should win (that's a very cool sounding motto).

Me, I'm not in the running either, because if I were I wouldn't have a clue as to how to try to win....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

<bump> ...just to keep the thread towards the top.

Flounder, that's a great one. I assume shipping and duty to Scotland would be prohibitive, though.

Ruth, please don't be discouraged from entering. The contest is getting less interest than I expected, so winning may be really easy.

Do we post our entries here, or via pm?

The RavenLunatic

Semper insanit omnes tempore.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.pnghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Do we post our entries here, or via pm?

Here, I think.

Given that Flounder is not in the running, can I simply steal Flounder's answer? It's not like I can top it anyhow. :)

Given that Flounder is not in the running, can I simply steal Flounder's answer? It's not like I can top it anyhow. :)

You're right, of course, but I'm afraid you have to be original to be in the running.

wish i could think of something. that's a really awesome Seal

Signature left blank per new rules...

Very cool seal . I am an avid bird watcher, I would use the seal as an abbreviation the word Ornithology.

God is my Strength.

Brad http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

I would just use it knowing that because it bears no connection with anything about my name or life, people would be totally confused. When they ask me what it means or why I used it, I would just say: "It is not something that can be explained to you." I think it's good that people are reminded that they don't have everything figured out.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

I would just say: "It is not something that can be explained to you." I think it's good that people are reminded that they don't have everything figured out.

This made me laugh out loud! :roflmho:

I imagine that you would look over the top of your glasses and be very serious when delivering the line.

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

I already have a seal that I use *points at avatar* so am not entering, but this is really lovely, and a neat contest idea.

I'm sure you can come up with something - there are only a couple of entries so far.

On behalf of Cognaticrotty I would like to offer

orientali regis notes

(The Eastern King's Advisor)

or

Orientali regis notatio

(The Eastern King's notations)

Take your pick, he will understand

Edited by Scrawler

On behalf of Cognaticrotty I would like to offer

orientali regis notes

(The Eastern King's Advisor)

Brilliant! If anyone would like to "gift" an entry, please feel free!

Office of the Royal Nuncio

In the days before widespread access to the Internet, many colleges and communities had forums similar to this one, called the "Freenet". I joined one of these and developed the persona of the Lord High Scribe to His Awe-Inspiring and Refulgent Druish Majesty. My missives were all couched in archaic English. This seal could be a badge of this exalted office.

Edited by Paddler

Can a calculator understand a cash register?