Help Needed With Hard To Find Ballpoint Refill Or Alternative

Abbortjern

I have an older ballpoint pen (small size, about 10cm long) that has a "Schneider No. 73" refill in it. This refill has dried out and is not

working. Does anyone know where I can buy replacement refills? I searched everywhere online but could not find anything, appearantly this refill has been discontinued by Schneider. Is there an equivalent refill size available that could work for this ballpoint?

The length of the refill is about 82mm long (3.25 inches) with a fairly thin writing tip. It has the ridge about halfway from the tip to stop the spring.

I already thought about using a cheap plastic refill from a disposable pen and cut it down to size. However, none of the disposable ballpoint refills that I have tried are thin enough in the writing tip to fit through the barrel opening of my pen. Are there smaller disposable ballpoints to be had?

Any help/suggestions is greatly appreciated. TIA.

Edited by Abbortjern

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Abbortjern

• chiaroscuro

• sirksael

• pcravis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is there an ISO code on your current refill?

Help? Why am I buying so many fountain pens?

can u please take a picture of that dried refill comapare to a parker refill, to see the real size, maybe someone help u.

Edited by usk15

Ballpoint? What's a ballpoint?

Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

Talk to Fountain Pen Hospital about the mini ballpoint refills they sell for the mini Visconti ballpoints. They don't have a ridge for springs since the Visconti doesn't use springs, but the length may be right and you can always add something if you need a ridge.

I don't know the refill you mention, but you might try the Fisher Universal refill. It is a metal ballpoint refill designed to be easily broken at different lengths to fit different pens. It is on theirweb site and they have it in black, blue, and red.

Good luck!

Adam

Dayton, OH

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings.

-- Prov 25:2

See below for a photo of the refill taken next to a standard Parker Gel refill. There is no ISO #, but there is this "DIN" code written on it: "DIN 16544 A1". As far as the Visconti mini Ballpoint refills; aren't those the same as the "D1" refills? I already looked at those, and they are too short (just 67mm).

Yeah, I know it is "just a ballpoint"; but this pen happens to be solid 14k gold and in mint condition. It would be a shame not to be able to use it again....Thanks again for all your help!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/abbortjern/Refill_zps5fc50069.jpg

Ok, based on your DIN number it seems to be still available from the Schneider website:

http://www.schneiderpen.de/en/products/refilling.html

From the Drop down "ISO number", select ISO 12757-2 A2, the refill "Express 75" will be shown which looks like it matches your refill.

Looks like it is available for example at cultpens: http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/Schneider_Express_75.html

Help? Why am I buying so many fountain pens?

This seems like exactly what I'm looking for for the Kaweco 619 ballpoints that come in V16 sets. They look similar to Starminen A2, Schmidt 70011/70012 and Yafa 48891/48892, but shorter (the dried out one I have is exactly 93mm long).

Gidania on ebay sells them (link here) but he hasn't emailed me yet with shipping charges. If I get them, I'll let you know.

You can adapt different types. One of my Linc Axo rollerballs with biro type ink I have converted to a Gel pen with a Linc Safron Max refill cut to the right length. It's a bit longer because being narrower it goes into a recess that the wider rollerball refill doesn'tpost-98597-0-52942700-1365116277.jpg

Edited by Stephen2020
/http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/858372_558495127508117_649985064_o.jpg

Ok, based on your DIN number it seems to be still available from the Schneider website:

http://www.schneiderpen.de/en/products/refilling.html

From the Drop down "ISO number", select ISO 12757-2 A2, the refill "Express 75" will be shown which looks like it matches your refill.

Looks like it is available for example at cultpens: http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/Schneider_Express_75.html

According to this site (great seller, btw [no affiliation]), those are 107mm long

Well, I ordered the Express 75 (a seller on eBay were selling 4 for $7, not bad). If they are indeed 107mm, they will be roughly 2cm too long....

Assuming they are the same width, can I cut off 2cm off the end and satuer it somehow?

Well, I ordered the Express 75 (a seller on eBay were selling 4 for $7, not bad). If they are indeed 107mm, they will be roughly 2cm too long....

Assuming they are the same width, can I cut off 2cm off the end and satuer it somehow?

Maybe it'll work, or try this:

This seems like exactly what I'm looking for for the Kaweco 619 ballpoints that come in V16 sets. They look similar to Starminen A2, Schmidt 70011/70012 and Yafa 48891/48892, but shorter (the dried out one I have is exactly 93mm long).

Gidania on ebay sells them (link here) but he hasn't emailed me yet with shipping charges. If I get them, I'll let you know.

pretty close seems like exactly what I'm looking for for the Kaweco 619 ballpoints that come in V16 sets. They look similar to Starminen A2, Schmidt 70011/70012 and Yafa 48891/48892, but shorter (the dried out one I have is exactly 93mm long).

Chiaroscuro, let me know if those refills work for you. Your old refill was pretty close in size to mine.

Edited by Abbortjern

pretty close seems like exactly what I'm looking for for the Kaweco 619 ballpoints that come in V16 sets. They look similar to Starminen A2, Schmidt 70011/70012 and Yafa 48891/48892, but shorter (the dried out one I have is exactly 93mm long).

Chiaroscuro, let me know if those refills work for you. Your old refill was pretty close in size to mine.

Sure. Let's move along (this is an FP forum after all, :)

Also you can dissamble a cross century refill, remove the plastic cap on the top, and with a pliers make some presion to create the stop, it's a bit long but.. so cut them, I use in a lot of old ballpoints.

regards

post-65110-0-93223700-1365131100.jpg

Also you can dissamble a cross century refill, remove the plastic cap on the top, and with a pliers make some presion to create the stop, it's a bit long but.. so cut them, I use in a lot of old ballpoints.

regards

That looks perfect (and easy). Thanks!

• 2 years later...

Kaweco 619 Refill

Just for the record, I've just changed the Refill in my Kaweco 619 Ballpen (which often comes in sets with Kaweco v12 and v16 Piston-Fillers) They're the 50's and 60's forerunner (but smaller) of the modern Kaweco Sport.

The original refill says ' Kaweco OMEGA -714, DIN 16554' and I've just verniered it at 93.0mm.

A suitable replacement refill is Schneider Express 75 M (ISO 12757-2-A2) which will need to be cut-down to 93mm length.

These are steel refills and I used a Dremel tool with cutter disc, but maybe it could be done with a fine-toothed Junior Hacksaw or with a fine Needle File; afterwards deburr the cut with emery paper. Push the small sponge-like padding out of the end of the offcut with a matchstick and gently push it into the end of your cut-down refill (just roll it between thumb and forefinger, it inserts easily and loosely. It just sts in the end as a sort of filter. Ball-point pen ink is essentially printers ink and very viscous, cutting down the refill will not cause it to leak.

Suitable refills for cutting-down available here (no affiliation)

https://www.cultpens.com/i/q/SN10165/schneider-express-75-pen-refill-medium

All done !

Edited by onotopen