Midori Traveler's Notebook

Colors

How many people have the traveler's notebook and what size and do you like it? What kind of paper do you use with it.

I have three Traveler's: two regular size and one Passport size. I use them interchangeably, depending on what I am in the mood for carrying. I mostly use them for sketching, but also for work meeting notes, journaling, lists, everything. I have made a rigid insert that fits around all my paper refills. The insert gives me a rigid base for sketching (when I am working on my lap) and a place for the pen holder, so the pen rides semi-inside the notebook and inside of the elastic.

I really like the Traveler's. They have some kind of a mystical aura that makes them feel quite great in your hand.

Of all the Midori-supplied refills, I use only the Kraft refill. The paper has a crinkly charm when used with wet media (such as watercolors or gouache) and the paper color is good.

All the rest of my refills I make myself, using the sketching papers that I am used to. It is SUPER easy to sew up a Midori-sized refill from any paper that you have around, since you don't have to include a cover. I never have to lament the quality of the paper I use.

A few possibly useful Midori links:

-- Traveler's photo pool on Flickr (see how folks 'round the world use their Traveler's)

-- Review (and comparison with the Pelle) by GourmetPens

-- my Midori page is here

Very nice; thanks for sharing! Since you only use the craft paper; how do you like it for writing with fountain pens? Does the brown color of the paper affect the ink color?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AlejoPlay

• BillZ

• maryannemoll

• KrazyIvan

I have the Pelle small journal. Paper is iffy. I have read that the Midori refills will fit with no alteration. I was all poised to order until I read that in all of the various manifestations of configuration the pages are perforated! How easy is it for pages to come out accidentally. I carry some Moleskine cahiers for perforated pages. I would like my travel journal to be permanent. For that reason,I am hesitant to buy. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Only the sketch paper refill (nr 012) is perforated: all the others (kraft, lined, grid, blank, extra thin) are not.

Hope that helps! :)

That helps a lot! When I looked at various vendors sites all od the types seemed perforated. Now I feel as though I an try one or two out.

I can only talk about the regular size though; as someone mentioned upthread, the passport size has several perforated refills (I've only used the regular size TN).

Rats! Should have read closer. I've got some passport sized refills on the way from Bryan G. Should be here by Friday. Oh well,I might find a use for them.

Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz

Thank you to everybody who contributed to this post! I have been wanting to get

a notebook for business/work, and this thread just decided for me.

I have noticed something weird with Midori paper. I think it must be sensitive to the oils on my skin. With a wetter pen or an italic/stub, I will hit a random patch where the ink feathers like crazy and then it's totally fine with a crisp line.

I've been personally migrating towards Western EF/Japanese F nibs lately so it's not too bad with those, but I have a LAMY with 1.1 nib and Herbin Orange Indien that gives me the most wonderful shading on Herbin paper, but I worry that I may hit one of those weird patches. I ordered some Banditapples from That Den of All Temptations, Goulet Pens, and I will see how they compare.

Question, I have the sketchbook refill for drawing and it really great. Has anyone tested the blank regular Midori refills or Banditapples with pencil? I'm wondering if it'll make a more affordable option for a portable sketchbook.

I've been on the fence about getting this notebook and finally succumbed. I hate you guys!

I ordered the brown and. Should be a cool notebook. Thanks.

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

I've been on the fence about getting this notebook and finally succumbed. I hate you guys!

I ordered the brown and. Should be a cool notebook. Thanks.

I love mine. It's great as a daily carry/journal/sketchbook. I don't know what it is about it, but it just makes me very happy.

UPDATE/Review

The passport refills fromBryan showed today. Thanks for the great service.

The pages are perforated as I feared. But you have to make a real effort to remove them so I may still try to use them as a permanent-record journal after all. As far as

FP friendliness goes,the paper is very good. I would recommend F or EF nibs though. The tried a couple of M nibs(Aurora Ipsilon and Platinum 3776) and the ink took a real long

time to dry. No bleed-through,though.Not good for a journal/notekeeper that you will write in and put away quickly. The paper is a lot thinner than the Pelle which makes the refill thinner overall. I couldn't write in the Pelle with an M nib either as it feathered terribly. I'll find a use for all of these little books eventually. Hope this helps with decisions.

Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz

Very nice; thanks for sharing! Since you only use the craft paper; how do you like it for writing with fountain pens? Does the brown color of the paper affect the ink color?

The Kraft paper insert is okay for writing with fountain pens. Not outstandingly great. It's a little crinkly and slick. But as I said, I use mine mostly for sketching. And, yes, of course using the Kraft paper changes the color of inks a little bit.

It's comical to read and see folks discuss the quality of the paper in the Midori replacement inserts. Thinness! Bleedthrough! Show-through! Sensitivity to oils! So on and so forth. It is so ridiculously easy to make an insert for the Midori that, once you do, you'll chuckle at all the paper commenters too.

You need some folded pieces of 8" x 8" nice paper (Southworth 100% Cotton paper is nice or Fabriano Tiziano if you like toned papers), a few binder clips to hold the stack rigid while you use a thumbtack (to pierce the spine) and a needle and thread. To sew it all up. Absurdly easy. Directions are here.

Try it. You'll feel so e-m-p-o-w-e-r-e-d.

Edited by ObserveClosely

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Kraft paper insert is okay for writing with fountain pens. Not outstandingly great. It's a little crinkly and slick. But as I said, I use mine mostly for sketching. And, yes, of course using the Kraft paper changes the color of inks a little bit.

It's comical to read and see folks discuss the quality of the paper in the Midori replacement inserts. Thinness! Bleedthrough! Show-through! Sensitivity to oils! So on and so forth. It is so ridiculously easy to make an insert for the Midori that, once you do, you'll chuckle at all the paper commenters too.

You need some folded pieces of 8" x 8" nice paper (Southworth 100% Cotton paper is nice or Fabriano Tiziano if you like toned papers), a few binder clips to hold the stack rigid while you use a thumbtack (to pierce the spine) and a needle and thread. To sew it all up. Absurdly easy. Directions are here.

Try it. You'll feel so e-m-p-o-w-e-r-e-d.

Well, yes, but I love grids or lines and so then I'd have to print them out and cut the pages and make the inserts. I prefer the convenience of buying an insert. :)

Everyone here, along with Brian Goulet, are enablers!

I have wanted one of these for an awfully long time. Brian's video put me right on the edge of ordering one. Reading the above posts, along with every other FPN post on TN, I just could not take it anymore.

Just ordered a regular size in brown from Goulet!

Now the anticipation of the mail delivery.

My daughter is getting her MFA next month. She is scandalized by my desire to spend money on her, doesn't want a pen, thank you, her Levenger True Writer and Cross Signature are enough. Four days ago, when I called to tell her I got my air ticket for her graduation, she told me she thought a small journal for travelling would be a fine present from me, as I have gotten her plenty of Rhodia journals, and others, in letter size.

That is how I have come here. I've read everything on FPN, and many links, more than once.

I eagerly await the arrival of her new black Passport size TN (couldn't find brown in stock)from Maido, and a bunch of stuff to go inside. Unlike me, she fills journals at a rapid rate.

I think I will slip a Slimfold with some flex in there as well, and if I pick a grubby looking one, maybe she will be ok with it.

Yesterday she called me very excitedly, she got a grant for summer travel to her mother's homeland, Nicaragua, and plans on using it to go very far from civilization. Corn Island, where we had travelled together a few years ago.

I hope someday she will be comfortable with my desire to do nice things for her. I have learned that gifts must meet the desires of the recipient, not the gifter. I am optimistic she will find the Passport handy. And I think I found some brass icons for the elastic in the depths of desk drawers, that have interesting histories, and she may find cool.

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness

Your daughter seems so adorable! Congratulations on being able to raise such a good girl. I'm also excited for your daughter, for all the travels she will be making, and the inspiration she will be getting from them. Stories like these are the essence behind all traveler's notebooks and journals throughout time. :happyberet:

I started a Banditapple refill today in my Midori. The paper is different, but I think I like it better than the Midori insert so far. It's a bit thicker and I like the texture more.