Safari Hard Starting

cameron331

Hello -

I'm new here so I apologize if this is in the wrong place or if this has been answered already. I just got my first pen a few weeks ago, a Charcoal Safari with a fine nib. The problem is if the pen sits for even just a couple minutes, it won't write until I scribble for 5-10 seconds, sometimes longer. It's usually completely dry when I start writing. I am using the converter, and have had problems with both Lamy Black and now the Diamine Midnight I am trying. Turning the converter a half turn or so makes no difference. I have flushed the pen out with water several times and am still having this problem. Once it starts it seems to flow pretty well, maybe a tad dry, but maybe thats just the fine line. I have had better flow with the medium nib. I also must admit I haven't bought any paper yet, so I've been writing on cheap notebook paper, and I've been using a paper towel for drying.

Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

Edited by cameron331

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cameron331

• SteveE

• soum

• keymanhattan

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I only have one Lamy - an Al Star, which is the aluminum version of the Safari. When I got it (new), it was dry and a hard starter. I had to adjust the nib slit (open it a bit) in order to get good enough ink flow to write well and start dependably. These pens are great learning tools, because if you try to adjust it and damage the nib, replacements are available for just a few dollars.

I won't attempt to cover nib adjustment here -- too long a topic that has been expertly covered all over the boards and the net. Search around, try it, come on back to discuss your results and ask questions.

W2FPN.gif

I've had that problem with my Lamy Vista, an an Al Star - though not as acute as a hard start after a few minutes. Mine would refuse to write after leaving them overnight. In both cases, the problem resolved after flushing the section and below the nib with dilute dish detergent and moving to wetter inks.

Which ink are you using currently?

EDIT: I noticed that you mentioned the inks you're using. Lamy black has been quite trouble-free for me.

Edited by soum

Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

When I bought the last one I used the Lamy T10 cartridge for some weeks, than the converter with different ink. No issue at all.

I only have one Lamy - an Al Star, which is the aluminum version of the Safari. When I got it (new), it was dry and a hard starter. I had to adjust the nib slit (open it a bit) in order to get good enough ink flow to write well and start dependably. These pens are great learning tools, because if you try to adjust it and damage the nib, replacements are available for just a few dollars.

I won't attempt to cover nib adjustment here -- too long a topic that has been expertly covered all over the boards and the net. Search around, try it, come on back to discuss your results and ask questions.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it out tomorrow and post again.