Favourite Diamine Ink Colour?

PenCityAus

Diamine Inks are my favorite line of inks!

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag22/augustfamily1/Ink%20Reviews/DiamineInks_zps14905c58.jpg

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scribble Monboddo

• The Good Captain

• warblerick

• PenCityAus

The Music Set is one of the best things I've bought this year. (Pens aside.) Vivaldi's the real standout for my preferences, but Chopin, Schubert, Handel and Bach are all right up there with my very favourite inks. (I was keener on Wagner before I got the flu earlier in the year - I was using it while I was coughing up stuff that was a similar colour, and kind of went off it a bit...I'm sure I'll warm to it again soon.)

Outside the Music Set, I *love* and use a lot of Ancient Copper, Grey and China Blue (probably my favourite blue). I've never had a stinker from Diamine; I even like Golden Brown, which some people seem to have a particular dislike for!

I would say Mediterranean Blue is currently my favorite, but my workhorse is Green/Black.

Having said that, I have a lot of Diamine samples and 30ml bottles waiting to be used. I'm looking at you, Ancient Copper, Aqua Lagoon and Claret.

Someone mentioned that Sargasso Sea caused hard starts in their pens. Anyone else have this problem? Also, someone else mentioned Diamine inks as a whole had difficulty with fading. Again, anyone else see this? I only have a few Diamine inks and I'm looking at expanding my collection of inks. I really like them, but before I buy more, I'd like to know about any possible problems. Thanks!

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

Someone mentioned that Sargasso Sea caused hard starts in their pens. Anyone else have this problem? Also, someone else mentioned Diamine inks as a whole had difficulty with fading. Again, anyone else see this? I only have a few Diamine inks and I'm looking at expanding my collection of inks. I really like them, but before I buy more, I'd like to know about any possible problems. Thanks!

My only problem with Diamine inks is not being able to have enough of them. End of story.

They are great, plentiful, economic and most important of all - over here.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Presidential Blue, all time favorite, but I don't use it because it is not WR.

One boring blue, one boring black 1mm thickness at most....

Then there are Fountain Pens with gorgeous permanent inks..

Presidential Blue, all time favorite, but I don't use it because it is not WR.

It's not too bad, actually. I normally soak my tests for about half-an-hour.

fpn_1351710884__blues_soak_tests_0009.jp

fpn_1351710901__blues_soak_tests_0010.jp

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I'm not even approaching halfway through all the Diamine inks but the ones I have are consistent, smooth and colourful. There is far too much fuss made about water resistant inks. 99.5% of the time they are just not necessary, so why put yourself and your pen through the trials and tribulations that can follow when using WR ink?

I love Diamine Ancient Copper - occasionally you will get some crystallisation on the nib in storage, in common with many inks with a red tint, but this wipes off.

My black is Onyx Black

My blue is Majestic, Sapphire, Radiant (Mr Pen) or Deep Dark Blue (Cult pens)

My red is Poppy or Syrah

Browns Oxblood or Ancient Copper

Purple is Majestic

.................. and I don't do orange or green.

Pens and paper everywhere, yet all our hearts did sink,

Pens and paper everywhere, but not a drop of ink.

"Cursive writing does not mean what I think it does"

After 20-30 minutes of drying, soaking in the water overnight, it was gone like 80-90 %. Still readable but hardly, like below inks you've provided. Thank you.

It's not too bad, actually. I normally soak my tests for about half-an-hour.

One boring blue, one boring black 1mm thickness at most....

Then there are Fountain Pens with gorgeous permanent inks..

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite Diamine ink : the one I am using at the moment (whichever that may be). All are good, some I like better than others. Currently I am using Marine (again), a color I keep coming back to, with great shading.

I'm having terrible smearing problems with some (fully dried) Diamine inks on medium to high quality paper. The offenders are Onyx Black, Sargasso Sea, and Imperial Purple. Others work perfectly fine (e.g. Mediterranean Blue, Matador, Meadow, Emerald). How do I avoid this with future purchases? Is there some kind of overview that tells one how badly it will smudge? Should I be wary of highly saturated Diamine inks in general?

I only have two at present (not counting samples) - Sherwood Green and Blue Black

The Sherwood Green is dark enough to be professional, but colorful enough to be playful. And if I need something more formal, then I use the Blue Black. Have both in a pen currently.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I think that Ancient Copper has taken up a permanent residence in a graphite Lamy Al-Start with F nib. That is my go-to pen at work for taking notes, and I absolutely love it.

I think Red Dragon will also remain my go-to for edits. I'm color-blind, so most reds don't do much for me. Either they're indistinguishable from black (to my eyes), or appear very light, making marks hard for me to catch. Red Dragon pops to my eyes while remaining easy to read. It is perfect for me.

I'm also a big fan of Oxblood. I want to get a carbon-fiber Monteverde from Goulet because it suits me well—fountain pens evoke attorneys (which I am), and the carbon fiber evokes the stealth fighters (I worked on the F-35 program as an engineer)—and I think that Oxblood will live in it when the time comes.

I also love Majestic Blue for signatures, but I really want to get a nice pen with a huge nib to use it. I currently have it in a Lamy Al-Star with a B nib, but I'd like a B stub (not italic, but true stub) or something even bigger for that ink.

Girls say they want a guy with serious ink, but then pretend to be bored when I show off all my fancy fountain pens. ~ Jason Gelles

Mine is Pumpkin. It's the only Diamine ink I've ever ordered in bulk. I use it for grading, and my students love it. The vibrancy and unique colour make it fun to write with, plus is really stands out from the typing and writing of the work being graded.

Sargasso Sea does silt up nibs, but is usually fixed with a quick rinse under the tap, and it's the only Diamine ink I have which suffers from this glitch.

• 6 months later...

For me its easy to choose since, currently I have only three Diamine ink, and so far I really love the Imperial Purple. But sonly will buy a bunch of new ones... so that can be change in the future.