Noodler's Ahab Pen Getting Rid Of Smell

troy7777

I love the Noodler's Ahab pen. I've had it for a couple of weeks and enjoyed using it very much. But the smell is quite annoying. Some people might like the smell, but not me. I've read somewhere that the smell disappears after a while. But is there a way to make it go away faster? I've tried washing it a few times; smell still persist. Thanks.

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Catpaws

• GTOZack

• grainweevil

• metalhead

Just received my first Ahab and thought our toddler had vomited somewhere in the room. It's awful. Any help would be appreciated!

<p>Hors d'oeuvres must be obeyed at all times.</p>

The easiest way to get rid of it is to air it, preferably in an open area. Leave it for a few days and the smell will be noticeably less.

It never goes away completely. There is always a lingering smell.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure if I am causing any huge faux pas here, but I sealed mine with Renaissance wax, after I had it breathing for a couple of weeks. the smell is still there but MUCH less noticeable. I figured it couldn't hurt. :)

If I had a pen that smelt of sick I would quite simply send it back because frankly to sell something like that is both disgusting and disrespectful to customers. In much the same way that if a tub of Emulsion had gone off I would never put it on a clients walls as when it reaches that stage the water in it goes stagnant and it's no good because it stinks.

Still if you don't want to send it back first give it a wipe over with a fragranced non bleaching anti bacterial wipe then give it a wipe over with a slice of lemon.

(No liabilty accepted for pen damage these are techniques for other things)

Edited by DavidDecorator

the heck?

'The Yo-Yo maneuver is very difficult to explain. It was first perfected by the well-known Chinese fighter pilot Yo-Yo Noritake. He also found it difficult to explain, being quite devoid of English.

So we left it at that. He showed us the maneuver after a sort. B*****d stole my kill.'

-Squadron Leader K. G. Holland, RAF. WWII China.

Burying it in baking soda seems a popular suggestion for a cure.* Personally it doesn't bother me. I have a Wality 58SL that writes like Torvill and Dean skating Bolero in '84†, but smells infinitely worse than any Noodler's I've tried. Wouldn't dream of giving it the elbow just because of its dubious personal hygiene. There are worse things in life; I could have been born in an era where "gong farmer" was a career option.‡

Cheers, Al°

*Google is thou friend. Other search engines are available.

†Google or other search engines are also your guide in understanding this (If you're not from the British Isles)

‡Ah, go on, guess where to look for the answer. Best not to be eating when you look though...

°In a footnote mood today

sure the smell is bad but imagine of that stains your hands you eat with it and everything,

'The Yo-Yo maneuver is very difficult to explain. It was first perfected by the well-known Chinese fighter pilot Yo-Yo Noritake. He also found it difficult to explain, being quite devoid of English.

So we left it at that. He showed us the maneuver after a sort. B*****d stole my kill.'

-Squadron Leader K. G. Holland, RAF. WWII China.

I find the whole issue of the Ahab smelling very interesting. For the most part because mine never smelled. Not even a little. I feel like I missed out on something. I don't feel I missed enough of something to actually WANT my pen to smell though. Lol

• 2 months later...

I too thought one of my kids had vomited when first opening and filling my new Creeper with ink. Soon realised it was the pen and couldn't believe that a pen would smell so awful. I gave it a good wash with liquid soap. The smell is also fading naturally after a week or so.

Edited by tbones

Well it'll teach me to say it doesn't bother me (see earlier post); I've just had a smelly pen experience of Olympic standard - five Oliver Exam piston fillers (very Nib Creaper-a-like), encased in a plastic box, several layers of bubble wrap, sealed in a plastic envelope, then shipped from India to the UK. Lucky recipient (me) gets to open the box after two weeks sealed up like this. Wowsers. My eyes watered. Highly recommended for anyone who feels like they've missed out on the olfactory aspect of pen ownership.

Cheers, Al

Though my Ahab didn't reek, there was a noticeable smell when I brought it close to my nose--and it's not the camphor smell of those vintage pens.

I did some research and found that many vegetal resins are cured with UV light. Also, apparently resin stinks until it's fully cured. And so I've been leaving my Ahab near indirect sunlight (I don't have a black light), and I think the smell has diminished considerably. I don't know if this is an actual solution, but you may want to give it a try--so long as it's not direct sunlight.

Edited by jrguerra

I wash my Ahab's with mild diluted detergent.

They then go through an ultrasonic cleaner (simply because I'm a freak when it comes to cleaning pens), then I dry it in indirect sunlight.

I find indirect sunlight tends to help.

Direct sunlight, I imagine, would be stronger, but I wouldn't want to try it.

Vintage Wet Noodles and flexible nib pens of all kinds!

Click to view current stock on FPN, or visit:

http://bit.ly/wetnoodlepens

• 3 months later...

I've just received a Burmese Ruby Red Ahab and the smell of the pen sitting on the shelf behind me is so strong it is turning my stomach :( Somehow I don't think I will be keeping this pen around.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png Aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem (Remember when life's path is steep to keep your mind even)http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

• 2 weeks later...

Haha, glad I'm not the only one who thought there was something incredibly wrong when I opened my Ahab...and yet, after well over six months of use and open air, it still stinks.

It's a "feature."

Burying it in baking soda seems a popular suggestion for a cure.* Personally it doesn't bother me. I have a Wality 58SL that writes like Torvill and Dean skating Bolero in '84†, but smells infinitely worse than any Noodler's I've tried. Wouldn't dream of giving it the elbow just because of its dubious personal hygiene. There are worse things in life; I could have been born in an era where "gong farmer" was a career option.‡

Cheers, Al°

*Google is (1)thou friend. Other search engines are available.

†Google or other search engines are also your guide in understanding this (If you're not from the British Isles)

‡Ah, go on, guess where to look for the answer. Best not to be eating when you look though...

°In a footnote mood today

(1) Google is THY(2) friend.

(2) In a language geek mood today :P

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

• 9 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I have an observation and wondered if anyone else noticed the same thing. I have a few Noodler's pens and certain colors smell stronger than others. I have light blue transparent Ahab and it is almost sweet and it's mellow. Pretty much the same for the others except the clear demonstrator. That one reeks like bad heated cheese. 

Noodler's pens are made by Kanwrite in India, and they use Cellulose Acetate Butyrate (CAB) for transparent/translucent pens. CAB is chemically treated wood pulp using butyric acid, which renders it tough, translucent and non-absorbent. But, it also smells terrible because of the butyric acid used. It has the characteristic smell of rotten eggs/meat and human vomit, its butyric acid that gives all of the above their odour. Some of the converters they use are also made from CAB, however the housing blocks the smell coming out, you may only notice it when you are filling the pen up. So yes, avoid the demos, for the rest of the models you shouldn't need a gas mask for an accessory.

I ALMOST got rid of the stench in my Ahab by burying it in coffee grounds for a month.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.