Pilot Vs Platinum Vs Sailor

cnjackson

Dear All,

I've been considering trying a pen by one of these brands, and I wanted to ask a quick question.

Reading through FPN, I notice periodic comments and reservations about the "feel" of the plastic for these brands. For example it seems that a few people have felt that Platinum's plastic bodies have a less solid feel.

I wonder if some of you could compare the feel of the plastic for these pens (maybe the Platinum 3776, Sailor 1911 Full size, and the Pilot 823)?

Thanks very much!

Chris

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cnjackson

• Dillo

• brunico

• WaskiSquirrel

I understand exactly what you mean. The feel of a pen is important and, as a recent buyer of two Platinum pens and a long term user of a Pilot Bamboo, I can write about the difference between these plastics.

I have no experience of Sailor pens. The platinum a were bought because I thought from my reading that the Platinums would be better.

First, the Bamboo: it is a big, 5.75" capped, 6.75 posted and, at 35g, heavy. All measurements are mine. The black plastic is shiny, but not very shiny and the walls are thick. This gives it a very solid feel, much like the (metal) Capless.

By contrast, Pelikan and Montblanc pens feel thin and light. The Platinums, similarly, fell light and thin-walled. The black plastic is more shiny than the Bamboo and has a somehow warmer feel to it. Frankly, I didn't like the look of the black Platinum 3776 Century, but I bought it solely for its nib - this looks fantastic and writes even better. I bought the Ultra Extra Fine. I am now a great fan of Platinum. I took delivery of a Chartre Blue with Extra Fine nib yesterday and it looks fabulous. I've tried taking photos of the colour, but I can't do it justice. If you have ever seen light coming through Bristol Blue glass ( or, I'm sure, Chartre Cathederal's stained glass) you'll know the colour it is.

In summary, the Platinums are lighter than my only plastic Pilot, but are beautiful writers and excellent value for money. Hope this helps, good luck with choosing.

Edited by AAN

I am not impressed by the plastic on the Sailors. It is injection molded and feels a bit cheap. Then again, I wouldn't consider 1911s to be "expensive" pens...

Edited by humsin

The pen I write with, is the pen I use to sign my name.

They all use nicely finished—well polished and with to visible or palpable mould lines except on the threaded parts—AS injection moulded resins. The plastic seems to be thicker than that of the Pelikans I have, the thinner than the machined acrylics on some Italian and small production pens like Edisons and Bexleys. It's quite sturdy, I've dropped them on hardwood, tile and painted concrete floors—I am a klutz—without any visible damage. Not a 'luxury' material but a very good one from a practical design point of view though I would actually prefer a textured polypropylene which is even less 'luxe' but even more practical, it's what they make garbage bins out of and would be almost indestructible in regular use for a fountain pen as well as affording a superior grip. I really like industrial materials;)

My take is:

1. Pilot

2. Sailor

3. Platinum

I find Pilot's plastic to be solid and sturdy. Sailor and Platinum's plastic bodies are feather light. But, all being said, I have not experienced any cracking of the plastic bodies of those 3 Japanese brands. To Japanese fountain pen makers, fountain pens are to be used for lifetime and more. So, regardless of the feel of the plastic relative to each other, I am certain they produce those plastic pens which meets quality standards for lifetime usage.

Edited by Pen2009

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

I am not impressed by the plastic on the Sailors. It is injection molded and feels a bit cheap. Then again, I wouldn't consider 1911s to be "expensive" pens...

Indeed. My Pilot Parallel has really nasty-looking plastic. Then again, I wouldn't consider it to be an expensive pen...

;)

I don't know the Sailor brand, but I own a Platinum 3776 (Shoji) and a Pilot Custom 823. The Pilot has a heavier plastic that has a better finish. I'll admit that I like the color on the Platinum: the pale blue is nice.

The Pilot is a far better writer. I have a lot of trouble getting the Platinum to flow freely, and I have to be careful of the angle at which I hold the pen. The Platinum also has a bit of a squeak to it that the Pilot does not have.

In short, the Pilot feels like a much higher quality pen for many reasons, including the plastic.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Hi,

I have been very happy with my Sailor and Pilot pens in general. The plastic used for the Sailor Professional Gear and Pilot Custom series feels quite solid. They are injection moulded as are many other pens, but they feel nice in the hand and are very durable for daily use.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

To me, and this is just me...Having both Pilots and Platinums from the same range, I would bet all three are made in the same factory using the same materials. A Sailor 1911, Platinum 3776, and a Pilot Custom 74 are, to me the same basic pen. They use they same black plastic, appear to be injection molded, same furniture, only the names and nibs are different. I just call'em likes I see'em.

Edited by Edwaroth

Thanks, everyone, for your responses on this. With a few exceptions, those of you who responded did not seem particularly concerned about the feel of these pens. I'm glad to know that!

I have to admit that certain models really appeal to me from all three companies--but perhaps especially the Sailor 1911 full size and the Pilot 823. So I'll set to pondering again!

Any further thoughts on the feel of these pens will be terrific!

Chris

I only have experience with Sailor,.....their 1911-M & Sapporo line made of PMMA resin, plus a couple of machined acrylic Mozaiques.

Their plastic seems sturdy, well finished & mold marks only appear on the threaded portion of the barrels.

On the Mozaiques, the threaded part next to the section is a molded PMMA plastic component, separated from the machined barrel by a trim ring.

At one point I got interested in a 1911-M demonstrator, but was surprised (& disappointed) that on these pens, the mold marks extend right down onto the grip section.

You could feel distinct ridges on the grip when you held the pen in writing position.

Not very precise.

This detracted from an otherwise well built pen & I decided to take a pass on the Sailor demos.

As others have said, Japanese pens are generally trouble free & are made to last a lifetime. With reasonable care, my Sailors should be around for a while.

(It's more than what I can say for myself.)

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

For the sake of creditility, I have owned or have in my current rotation three Sailor Sapporos, a small Sailor 1911, a full-sized Sailor 1911, three Pilot Custom 74s, a Pilot Custom 742FA, three (Pilot) Namiki Falcons, a Platinum #3776 MU, a Platinum Century Black in Black FF, and a Platinum Century B in Chartres Blue. Dang, that's a lot of pens!

On my desk is a black Century, a 742, and a full-sized 1911. The 1911 feels a wee bit heavier but that could be caused by the rhodium furnishings. The Century weighs the least of the three. The 1911 feels more substantial by a tiny margin. Comparing the capped pens, 742 is longer and uncapped, the Century is the shortest. The barrel material isn't identical amongst the pens but it is thinner than the western pens on my desk, several Levenger True Writers, a Pelikan M215 Rings, and a Retro 51 Scriptmaster. The resin Namiki Falcon body does not feel like the 742. The latter has a smoother texture and more substance.

I like aspects of all of them so it's hard to say one is better than another especially since quality is good with all of them. The nib is what would sway my decision since they are tools rather than collectibles for me.

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

Once again, thank you, everyone for sharing your observations.

People seem to like the Pilot 823 a great deal--it is starting to sing to me!

Chris

I am a Sailor fountain pen geek, however, I think Pilot Custom 823 gives me

the best feeling in my writing. Sailor 1911 full size comes next. :)

Sailor 1911 Large

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce2sisliEas

Thanks, Virtu--I've enjoyed your many recent posts, including the video you provided of the 1911 Large. You said that the 823 gives you the best writing feeling--and then the Sailor comes next: could you elaborate on this?

Thank you!

C

I only have experience with Sailor,.....their 1911-M & Sapporo line made of PMMA resin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poly%28methyl_methacrylate%29

• PMMA is used in the lenses of exterior lights of automobiles.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poly%28methyl_methacrylate%29#cite_note-21][/url]
  • The spectator protection in ice hockey rinks is made from PMMA.
  • Historically, PMMA was an important improvement in the design of aircraft windows, making possible such iconic designs as the bombardier's transparent nose compartment in the Boeing B-17 Flying Forteress.