The Incredible Jinhao X750

Penne Stilografiche

I noticed they started to make Jinhao's with 14k nibs. Does anyone know if these one's are good pens?

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

—Oscar Wilde

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EBUCKTHORN

• Penne Stilografiche

• kemuri

• Tinta Verde

I bought the pen off eBay here:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ANP53-Golden-Checked-DRAGON-18KGP-Fountain-Pen-JINHAO-/180758276998?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a16086b86

However, I've never been able to get the ink to flow immediately. It seems like I have to unscrew it and work with the ink tube to get it flowing again.

Is there a trick to making this kind of pen work? I want to remove the cap and just write.

Thanks

Steve

I had the same issue. I followed SBREBrown's method of giving nibs like this (on the dry, hard-start side of things) more volume and flow--and it worked awesome. Jinhao nibs tend to be drier than my preference, but they are easy to modify. Are you familiar with his youtube channel?

I got the matte black one and just am really astounded at the value on this pen. I've gotten a couple Chinese pens before and hated them, but this one is just excellent! The only fault is that it writes a little dry.

I just bought the silver one and if that one writes well, I'll probably pick up a few more! I wish there was a blue one though...

My cap fits beautifully, seats firmly with a gentle snap. Much nicer than some of my other push-pull caps.

I let my daughter use it (contaminating the next generation with fountain pen lust...). She was using it unposted, and put it down for a minute... and of course, it rolled off the table... and OF COURSE it landed square on the nib; mangled the tines. I had a Goulet 1.1mm italic nib onhand, so I took a chance and put it in... what a difference! This has become my main pen. It feeds better, it starts every time. I love this thing!

My only complaint is that the barrel-to-section threads are a pretty sloppy fit, but it locks down nicely with just a little grunt when the threads bottom out. It just feels out-of-place in an otherwise superb pen.

Edited by kharrisma

I have an X450, and it's a thirsty pen. I wrote a letter to a friend, and it used most of a Diamine (short) cartridge - I guess I'd better stick with the convertor and bottle. Does anyone else find this with Jinhao?

Honnestly i don't want to buy chinese pens,just for the principe. So no Jinhao,no cross for me as good as they are

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

I had two of these 750s, and both suffered from ink starvation - nibs were fine, no problem there. I hacked the feeds, but nothing worked.

Life is too short to use junk, so I threw them away.

Shame. Next time, send them to me, or someone else experienced with those feeds. Could have saved you a couple of decent pens.

They make nice journaling stubs, as well, once ground down a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the pen off eBay here:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ANP53-Golden-Checked-DRAGON-18KGP-Fountain-Pen-JINHAO-/180758276998?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a16086b86

However, I've never been able to get the ink to flow immediately. It seems like I have to unscrew it and work with the ink tube to get it flowing again.

Is there a trick to making this kind of pen work? I want to remove the cap and just write.

Thanks

Steve

I have always found that if you washout the convertor with a mix of dishwash detergent and a little Amonia a couple of times that should stop it skipping/try it you have nothing to lose

Many people hates the WEIGHT of Jinhao pens like X450 and X750... Good news!!! There are a pen made in other factory, that uses the same nib + feed, but with a plastic made body + cap... The brand/model is Beijing JinXing 28B (or Goldstar 28B). The same quality and half a ton lighter...

Look at my horse, my horse is amazing!!!

Honnestly i don't want to buy chinese pens,just for the principe. So no Jinhao,no cross for me as good as they are

I love people who have strong principle.

I love people who have strong principle.

This is not "strong principle"... This is PRECONCEPTION...

Look at my horse, my horse is amazing!!!

• 11 months later...

Attention Steven Hu Yes there is a trick in getting some of the Jinhao's to work ,just flush the convertor out with a very small drop of wash-up liquid or ammonia keep flushing out at regular intervals and I would be very surprised if you don't end up with a pen you really love every day,I always have about 30 Jinhao's or Baoer's in my collection but keep on giving them to tradesmen etc ,I think they are the best present you could give, especially to Doctors they even help them to write correctly.

Attention Steven Hu Yes there is a trick in getting some of the Jinhao's to work ,just flush the convertor out with a very small drop of wash-up liquid or ammonia keep flushing out at regular intervals and I would be very surprised if you don't end up with a pen you really love every day,I always have about 30 Jinhao's or Baoer's in my collection but keep on giving them to tradesmen etc ,I think they are the best present you could give, especially to Doctors they even help them to write correctly.

That's what I've found too. If they're cleaned properly before use there is never a problem.

Interested in your reasoning behind this ?

My x750 arrived yesterday. I got the stainless/chrome finish. It shipped with what I've come to think of as a standard Jinhao nib - very smooth, wet, medium point. This is the first Jinhao I've gotten where the nib was not a two-tone nib. It still says gold plated :)

I didn't bother with a flushing or cleaning regimen before trying it out. It worked just fine from the start. This seems to be hit or miss with Jinhao.

The weight and balance are beautiful. Not as heavy as the 159, but at 38g it's heavy enough not to feel cheap. I like a heavy pen, so I think it feels best posted. The section is cylindrical-ish (doesn't have the little gripping indents of the x450), and is covered in a plastic that is just rough enough to be grippy without being annoyingly abrasive. The obnoxious section is why I only purchased 1 x450. This is muuuuuch better. I'd love it if the section was 1-2 mm wider, but at 10.2 - 11.8mm it's as big as can be hoped without going to something intentionally outsized.

I like a finer nib, so I promptly tried regrinding the stock nib down to a fine point. The result at this point is still rougher than I want to write with, so I've swapped a Goulet F nib in and it's writing just fine. I'd like to point out that this was my first time trying to regrind a nib, and the one that shipped with this pen didn't promptly crumble into dust on my whetstone. It's pretty solid.

Anyway, I like it. I may or may not have just ordered several other styles of x750 from the evil bay.

I didn't bother with a flushing or cleaning regimen before trying it out. It worked just fine from the start. This seems to be hit or miss with Jinhao.

And that's the reason why

I too have discovered these great pens - available from amazon uk for £2.99 inc postage from China! I have a marbled red x750, an x250, and have just order 3 black x750's to give away to those who love my red one. Best value fp's by a long way!

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd392/martsmith46/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150114_123347.jpg

Edited by mart46

Waiting on two: a stainless steel x750 and a "ANJ71" red tiger.

Obviously ... since I'm reading this ... the wait is killing me.

Maybe today. C'mon, China!

and thanks for that video link!

-TV