How To Remove The Clip From The Cap Of A Mont Blanc Generation? *photos Attached*

jewish.simon

I have numerous Mont Blancs that I buy off eBay at great prices (just bought a BP Rubber / Platinum Starwalker for $140 and a Westside 4810 Wallet + notepad for $38!).

A few weeks ago I bought a Mont Blanc Platinum RB Generation that had an engraving of a man's name on the cap for $30. Last night, I found a replacement cap for it and was thrilled! The thing is, the replacement requires me to transfer my own clip and star dome cap. Here is the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370745963062?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

But I do not know how to remove the clip and star cap. I attached photos of the inner chamber of the cap. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

post-96373-0-04218100-1359903074.jpg

post-96373-0-90186200-1359903080.jpg

Edited by jewish.simon

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jewish.simon

• Dillo

• Paul Raposo

• Rowbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi jewish.simon :W2FPN:

I've never disassembled a Generation, but from what I remember about the pencil I used to own, there should be a screw inside the cap. You unscrew this--making sure not to lose the plastic washer that fits between the screw and cap--and the star cap and clip can be removed. Assemble your new cap, star and clip by putting the screw back in, making sure not to over tighten.

Hope this helps.

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write.

--William Makepeace Thackeray

Visit my blog to see the pens I have for sale

Paul's Pens

I have the same pen. The inner cap is free to rotate and has about 3mm of axial movement - quite a loose fit in fact. I have never taken mine apart though.

I have read about 'inner cap pullers' that grip (by various means) the inside of the plastic 'inner cap' so that they can be pulled out by brute force - a force that will act against the cap rim. These tools are expensive and may also damage the inner cap. I have also read that a thread-cutting 'tap' can be used - 8mm or 5/16 seems to be popular, though this would not screw into an inner cap that is free to rotate.

Have you considered major surgery to remove the unwanted, engraved, not-so-precious resin from around its inner cap - this would destroy the old cap but leave the inner cap, star and clip undamaged (if done carefully). You can then see how all the parts should fit together. Can you see an undercut in the new cap that a 'barb' on the inner cap would catch onto when it is pushed in? I am only guessing that this is how it is retained. Close up photos of the new cap, from both ends, might help.

Best of luck.

You don't know what you need until you realise you haven't got it.

I have asked this question myself in the past and always get the " it unscrews " advice when clearly, looking up into the cap, there is no screw up there. Happened on a 162 resin cap I wanted the pocket clip off.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Hi,

The cap of the Generation is not really made to come apart. I believe the inner cap is snap-fit into something inside of the outer cap. It is also possible that the top star unscrews. I've never done it on the MB Generation I used to own. You could also break the old cap in order to transfer the parts and figure out how it fits together.

ברוך הבא!

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

It is also possible that the top star unscrews.

Dillon

Yeah, that's how it was explained to me. Use something grippy to unscrew the star. Quite possibly could be wrong, though. Too bad it's not as easy as the Meisterstuck caps.

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write.

--William Makepeace Thackeray

Visit my blog to see the pens I have for sale

Paul's Pens

Thanks guys for your help! I haven't purchase the replacement cap yet because I do not know if this is a job I can do myself. Would you suggest I use some needle nose pliers to turn the inside cap?

I have the same pen. The inner cap is free to rotate and has about 3mm of axial movement - quite a loose fit in fact. I have never taken mine apart though.

I have read about 'inner cap pullers' that grip (by various means) the inside of the plastic 'inner cap' so that they can be pulled out by brute force - a force that will act against the cap rim. These tools are expensive and may also damage the inner cap. I have also read that a thread-cutting 'tap' can be used - 8mm or 5/16 seems to be popular, though this would not screw into an inner cap that is free to rotate.

Have you considered major surgery to remove the unwanted, engraved, not-so-precious resin from around its inner cap - this would destroy the old cap but leave the inner cap, star and clip undamaged (if done carefully). You can then see how all the parts should fit together. Can you see an undercut in the new cap that a 'barb' on the inner cap would catch onto when it is pushed in? I am only guessing that this is how it is retained. Close up photos of the new cap, from both ends, might help.

Best of luck.

Thanks for your help! I haven't purchase the replacement cap yet because I do not know if this is a job I can do myself. Would you suggest I use some needle nose pliers to turn the inside cap?

The inner cap will just rotate. It is not threaded so will not come out just by twisting it. If you (gently) push a pencil or chopstick or suchlike into the cap so that it jams into the inner, you will be able to demonstrate this to yourself. I can see no way to remove it without risking damage or distortion to it other than by deliberately destroying the resin around it. I think there is a shelf inside the cap that prevents it from falling out, but does not stop it from being pushed in. The inner looks to be made of a fairly flexible plastic. It seems there is also a weak spring behind it that pushes it onto the pen so as to maintain the seal (the inner cap seals to the pen so that the refill does not dry out so quickly). I'm not sure if the fountain pen inner has this spring - the one I have might be stuck in with dried ink because it does not move.

I cannot unscrew the star by gripping it, and even if I could I would not be able to retrieve the screw (if that is what is holding it on) and it would not help much in getting the inner out.

Wait until you have your new cap and then you will be able to see what the internal features are and how they are preventing you from doing this job.

Or just ask Speerbob if he has an inner cap as well or even if he wants to do the job. He is a member of FPN.

You don't know what you need until you realise you haven't got it.

Hi,

I would avoid needle nose pliers at all costs for this. Many MB pens like this have a spring loaded inner cap, so it is more complex to deal with. In older models you have to grip the star or ring with rubber. I think you should see if the plastic star unscrews.

בהצלחה!

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

• 7 months later...
  • 10 years later...
On 2/3/2013 at 11:34 PM, Dillo said:

Hi,

I would avoid needle nose pliers at all costs for this. Many MB pens like this have a spring loaded inner cap, so it is more complex to deal with. In older models you have to grip the star or ring with rubber. I think you should see if the plastic star unscrews.

בהצלחה!

Dillon

Thanks, rubber helps with the grip to unscrew the plastic star.