Show Everyone Your Pens!

ZachWasniak

@JonSzanto

What are those images in your photo backgrounds? I like them.

Many of the things I use for backgrounds are simple Google image searches. For the Sheaffer Flat-top pen, I simply searched for "flattop" and found the great barber image. For the geometric looking ones, I wasn't something along those lines and I think I searched on "avantgarde mechanical design" or something like that. I just think of things, search, download, maybe do a little image editing and then print on my printer and use for the photo. My next post, however, is a paper sample from a craft store...

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• betweenthelens

• georges zaslavsky

• JonSzanto

With two pens many, many decades apart, I wish you a Happy 2019, full of color and variety!

CfvnQh5h.jpg

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

With two pens many, many decades apart,

That's a beautiful Platinum #3776 celluloid pen you got. Is that the PTB-35000S#67 ('Century' version, with the 'Slip and Seal mechanism') or the earlier PTB-30000S#67 (without the inner cap)?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

That's a beautiful Platinum #3776 celluloid pen you got. Is that the PTB-35000S#67 ('Century' version, with the 'Slip and Seal mechanism') or the earlier PTB-30000S#67 (without the inner cap)?

Thanks - I have no idea of model#, but this is the earlier version with fixed inner cap. The sweet part is that it has a music nib!

~ Benjamin Franklin

but this is the earlier version with fixed inner cap. The sweet part is that it has a music nib!

I must confess I didn't realise the PTB-30000S has an inner cap at all, until you prompted me just now to look at the one (in brown tortoise) I received from Amazon recently. Mine has an F nib. If it was a Music nib, I'd probably have thrown it against a brick wall in frustration – even though the only Music nib I've tried thus far on a Japanese fountain pen is on a Pilot Custom 74. (I don't mind Stub nibs if they are narrow.)

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Mine has an F nib. If it was a Music nib, I'd probably have thrown it against a brick wall in frustration

I can't help you there. One of the things I love about fountain pens is the near endless variety of nib styles, resulting in the myriad of line widths and the scripts and writing that flow from them. You could say I'm very inclusive in my tastes.

~ Benjamin Franklin

• 2 weeks later...

Nice! The material of the pen at the bottom is especially striking

Thanks! I agree. That resin is Conway-Steward Coral Green. Conway-Stewart went out of business, but this material is available for custom pens.

David

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's my canvas...

post-130197-0-84284700-1552319234_thumb.jpg

And then I got carried away...

post-130197-0-71619500-1552321553_thumb.jpg

post-130197-0-78871200-1552321020_thumb.jpg

post-130197-0-88170600-1552321032_thumb.jpg

post-130197-0-00408700-1552321046_thumb.jpg

With special attention to the box, (which is much better than the new Esterbrook boxes. That's one for you, Farmboy.)

NOTE: The Red M2 is NOS from 1959. The Blue SJ is jus' a regular 'ole Double Jeweled one from 1948-1952.

EDITS: Formatting adjustments.

Edited by AL01

Here's my canvas...

attachicon.gif IMG_0283-min.JPG

And then I got carried away...

attachicon.gif IMG_0287-min.JPG

attachicon.gif IMG_0288-min.JPG

attachicon.gif IMG_0293-min.JPG

attachicon.gif IMG_0314-min.JPG

With special attention to the box, (which is much better than the new Esterbrook boxes. That's one for you, Farmboy.)

NOTE: The Red M2 is NOS from 1959. The Blue SJ is jus' a regular 'ole Double Jeweled one from 1948-1952.

EDITS: Formatting adjustments.

I love your style, and the font choice. The colors in the photographs and this font go together perfectly.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

The font choice was by accident!

What a happy accident...

(I'll use Courier New from now on.)

:D

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s664/ZachWasniak/IMAG0219_zps03f11f80.jpg It's a slow and impatient start, but I'm getting there!

I have this case. I sanded the inserts and painted them so that they’re not rough on my pens. I don’t use it anymore, it’s tucked away in a closet

Allan