Best Correction Method For Fp's

Snowie

So what is the best correction tape or fluid for fountain pens? I've tried standard bic tape but it doesn't seem to work all that well with the ink. Is there anything that does work or is the standard of crossing things out and carrying on the best? :embarrassed_smile:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Plume145

• RonLyke

• Snowie

• ImagineItReal

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I was in high-school, pretty much everyone wrote with fountain pens. As teenagers, we were obviously unable to keep our writing clear and mistake free and therefore had to correct regularly. Most of us used Waterman cartridges and had these amazing ink erasers that would make the ink disappear. We would then use the "other end" of the eraser marker (you can't rewrite something in ink, it won't show) for corrections.

I am rather certain that this will not work for all inks but there are some that are very "eraser friendly". Personally, I never liked this magic marker very much simply because the corrective end writes a marker line, not a fountain pen line. Furthermore, the colors aren't always spot on and the marker feathers strongly unless you wait for the "magic erasing ink" to dry out. Still, it seems more neat than crossing out words or, even worse, scribbling an awful dark spot of ink in the middle of the page.

Kind regards,

Dimitry

Edited by Dimitry V.

"La charité du sage le pousse parfois à paraitre ému, fâché ou réjoui afin de ne pas blesser son entourage
par la froideur et la lucidité de sa vraie nature."

http://i45.tinypic.com/ekoyc.jpg

I remember the BP pens that had "erasers" on them, but they never worked very well. Do the ones you linked only erase washable blue ink, or some special formulation of ink?

When I was in grade school we wrote with fountain pens in composition books. We were taught to draw one single straight horizontal line through the errant word, and write the corrected word next to it. :happyberet:

Learning from the past does not mean living in the past.

I still try and follow the single line-through way to cross out the incorrect word/s. It doesn't always work like that though and I might (often!) use more than one, or two, or three. If you see what I mean. Then there's the frantic scribbling over the offending error and a hastily scrawled expletive next to it or an apology. And that doesn't always happen just in my notebooks either.

On the matter of erasers; Rotring used to make special 'plastic' ones designed for removing their Rapidograph ink from drawing film, and to an extent, tracing paper. That was in the 70s so whether they are still available or would remove ordinary fountain pen ink from paper is another matter. I've probably still got one somewhere so I might try to find it and give it a go. One day.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

When I was in grade school we wrote with fountain pens in composition books. We were taught to draw one single straight horizontal line through the errant word, and write the corrected word next to it. :happyberet:

Us We were, too. And we were expected to cross out using a ruler, holding it upside down to avoid smudging.

I still just cross out (though not with a ruler!) and continue. If it gets too littered with crossings-out, I start afresh. So yes, sometimes my friends receive birthday cards with crossings-out.

Edited by impossiblebird

We used "ink eradicator", which might have been some type of bleach. Smelled like bleach. Small bottle; cap had a glass poker that dipped into the liquid. We "painted" eradicator over the mistake...waited until it dried...then wrote over.

I doubt that the old 1960's eradicator is still being made, however.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

In some of the ink reviews I have seen solvent tests, you could test what works on the inks you like and see which ones you can write over when dry. There are containers out there that would work as a dispenser also.

Writing and typing with the help of cats

• 1 month later...

So what is the best correction tape or fluid for fountain pens? I've tried standard bic tape but it doesn't seem to work all that well with the ink. Is there anything that does work or is the standard of crossing things out and carrying on the best? :embarrassed_smile:

I like the look of a few scribbled out words here and there in my notebooks, but I don't like it when I'm writing letters. I usually try to camouflage it by incorporating the error into my writing, but if I have to scratch it out, I usually cross a line through, glue a piece of the same paper on top of the error, and write over.

"Liquid Paper" brand makes "Pen and Ink Correction Fluid" that might work for you.

I'd be curious to try this, just to see how the pen would write over the dried fluid.

We used "ink eradicator", which might have been some type of bleach. Smelled like bleach. Small bottle; cap had a glass poker that dipped into the liquid. We "painted" eradicator over the mistake...waited until it dried...then wrote over.

I've heard a diluted bleach mixture can clean some stained plastic barrels, so this might work. It sounds like a home project, and you'd have to find some kind of stylus or poker as welch mentioned.

Hi,

One can switch to a Washable ink, most of which can be erased with an eradicator pen such as the Pelikan Pirat or Lamy ink-x.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Error correction ---

Personally, I have never written an error. On Antiques Roadshow, however, I saw a letter by

Edward, King of England. He drew a horizontal line through the error, and continued writing.

The technique would be good enough for me.

Rameses II would have the scribe thrown to the crocodiles, and continue with the writing.

This technique would be good, as well.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Error correction ---

Personally, I have never written an error. On Antiques Roadshow, however, I saw a letter by

Edward, King of England. He drew a horizontal line through the error, and continued writing.

The technique would be good enough for me.

Rameses II would have the scribe thrown to the crocodiles, and continue with the writing.

This technique would be good, as well.

:roflmho:

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif

On the matter of erasers; Rotring used to make special 'plastic' ones designed for removing their Rapidograph ink from drawing film, and to an extent, tracing paper. That was in the 70s so whether they are still available or would remove ordinary fountain pen ink from paper is another matter. I've probably still got one somewhere so I might try to find it and give it a go. One day.

Does anyone remember the retractable glass fibre 'pens' for erasing drawing ink from drawing film? Gave you very itchy fingers if you weren't careful.

At school I had the little double-ended ink erasing marker that others described (eg Dimitry). The pro is it works on paper that's not bright-white, the con is that it only erases washable blue ink. Kind of the opposite of correction tape or fluid, which covers up and therefore works on every ink but only bright white paper :P So, given I prefer cream or ivory paper to white and that after using Royal Blue ink for years throughout primary and secondary school, I am now thoroughly sick of it, I'm stuck with crossing out :P

I'm not sure about those, but I know there's the blue side of those classic blue-and-red rubber erasers (the scrubbier side). It's supposed to remove ink, but really what it does is scrape off a layer of paper, so you can't do it many times over or anything. And as I recall, more than half the time it doesn't even remove all the ink either.

I don't know much about tracing paper and drawing film, but I believe they have a few characteristics that make them more resilient to that kind of scrubbing action than regular papers. So it may be that something that worked on those wouldn't work on paper anyway. Would be nice though :-/

oooh, that sounds pretty cool, smelly or not. I like the potential for this to work with all kinds of inks and on a range of papers - solutions like corrector tape and whiteout only work with bright-white paper, and I prefer cream :P

I've heard a diluted bleach mixture can clean some stained plastic barrels, so this might work. It sounds like a home project, and you'd have to find some kind of stylus or poker as welch mentioned.

I think you could use a bottle with an eyedropper, except without sucking up the fluid into the eyedropper tube. And I think I've seen little vials with a sort of little 'paddle' attached to the cap for storing and dispensing substances with the texture of a gel.

I'm not affiliated with ANY of the brands/retailers/shops/ebay sellers/whatever I mention or recommend. If that ever changes, I will let you know :)

Looking for a cheap Pilot VP/Capless - willing to put up with lots of cosmetic damage.

When I attended school in France, I remember using the Reynolds stylo effaceur that had a white end that dissolved blue washable fountain pen ink and a blue marker on the other side that more or less matched the color that would let you write over the surface that had been erased.

Do love the crocodile method, very appealing. :hmm1:

Whether you think you can or think you can't - you're right. - Henry Ford

When I attended school in France, I remember using the Reynolds stylo effaceur that had a white end that dissolved blue washable fountain pen ink and a blue marker on the other side that more or less matched the color that would let you write over the surface that had been erased.

Do love the crocodile method, very appealing. :hmm1:

omg yeah, Reynolds!! That's the one I mean too, same one with the white-and-blue diagonal stripes you linked to :-) Don't think I ever had another brand! Wow, what a blast from the past, hehe

Always hated that it only worked with Boring Blue...badly wanted to use other colors but was stuck with it for all assessed work because teachers did not like crossings-out and white out does not work with FPs!

I'm not affiliated with ANY of the brands/retailers/shops/ebay sellers/whatever I mention or recommend. If that ever changes, I will let you know :)

Looking for a cheap Pilot VP/Capless - willing to put up with lots of cosmetic damage.

• 2 years later...

So what is the best correction tape or fluid for fountain pens? I've tried standard bic tape but it doesn't seem to work all that well with the ink. Is there anything that does work or is the standard of crossing things out and carrying on the best? embarrassed_smile.gif

I found by accident that the Papermate Liquid Paper DryLine Grip correction tape works the best with fountain pens. I have a form of disgrafia that makes certain mistakes routine for me, so I need the correction tape, lest my page be covered with scratch outs. It's the only one I know of that lays down flat and hard enough to write on immediately after application. It also works with my hyperfine pens better than any other tape I've used.

I don't know if there are other versions of this one, but I know that the model that works with my fine nib Pilot Prera, and works well, is the green and white version that looks like a fish, number 660415. Amazon sells them for something like $3.

Edited by Aquaria

I just make my mistakes into little pictures.

Be Happy, work at it. Namaste