Nib.. Squeak?

daTomoT

Well, this is new! My Swan's Semi Flex fine nib seems to squeak as it moves across the page. Not so much that it's cring-worthy, but then I'm quite happy to give a nice backscratch to the blackboard. Has anybody experienced this before?

Please check out my blog, datbookreviews, for all Fiction and Fantasy book reviews!

Now with Increasing Fountain Pen Related Posts!

Pelikan M200, Hero 608, Parker IM, Serwex 162, Manuscript Calligraphy Pen, Lamy Vista, Guanleming 956, Mabie Todd 200/60, Noodler's Konrad. Grail Pen: Yard-O-Led Viceroy Victorian.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• daTomoT

• framebaer

• Bo Bo Olson

• pelman

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I have a couple nibs that squeaks on occasion...depending on the paper and ink.

Some folks get bent out of shape, I don't in 'singing' swords or razors stop singing after a bit, so I expect the nib to do so also, if it didn't already.

You pay lots extra for a singing straight edge razor...not to many can make one. France is the last place. I grew a beard instead of buying a singing razor. After all I had to finance my pen habit.

There are also a couple of sword-smiths that can do that today. But the problem is you keep showing folks your sword sings....soon it don't. :headsmack:

Want to see my sword that use to be able to sing....leads to disbelief...and broadsword duels at sunrise. B)

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

See the following from Richardspens.com

singing-- A squeaking or squealing sound that some nibs make as they write. Singing is a harmonic vibration that occurs when friction between the nib’s tip and the paper causes the nib to “stick” and release repeatedly at the resonant frequency of the nib. When a nib that sings is stroked very rapidly across the paper, as in signing with a flourish, the vibration can be sufficiently energetic to atomize the ink, creating an aerosol spray that peppers the paper with tiny droplets. When this happens, the stroke itself usually becomes very broad and fuzzy in appearance, as shown below. See also clicking, talking.

Used with permission from Richard Binder.

Edited by framebaer

Sensitive Pen Restoration doesn't cost extra.

Find me on Facebook at MONOMOY VINTAGE PEN

Aha! Thanks for all of your help. It's another word to add to my list of fountain pen jargon. Singing nibs I say. Wonderful.

Please check out my blog, datbookreviews, for all Fiction and Fantasy book reviews!

Now with Increasing Fountain Pen Related Posts!

Pelikan M200, Hero 608, Parker IM, Serwex 162, Manuscript Calligraphy Pen, Lamy Vista, Guanleming 956, Mabie Todd 200/60, Noodler's Konrad. Grail Pen: Yard-O-Led Viceroy Victorian.

+ 1 on the "harmonic vibration" explanation.

I had the same problem with my Cross Apogee. I fixed it by removing/modifying the vibration pattern. I did it by slightly "roughing" the nib with a 8000 grit paper. I know that one could hardly classify that as "roughing" the nib, but the "singing" stopped. I did the same to another (Chinese made) nib, and it also worked.

I only have two pens - an Aurora Optima and others.