Show Us Your Black Pens

tomgartin

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/Deccan%20Masterpiece/IMG_2652.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/Deccan%20Masterpiece/IMG_2648.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/Deccan%20Masterpiece/IMG_2651.jpg

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tomgartin

• hari317

• esterbex

• kpyeoman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I started collecting, black pens were all I had - love them for their simplicity and elegance.

Here is bunch of Matador pens

Okay, Thanks for sharing that. Now I'm drooling. drool.gif

How do the Matadors write??

Matador pens are top writers. I highly recommend these pens for their build quality and superb nibs. The large Matador (998) with the fancy clip has a nice smooth semi-flex F nib. The petite is a Matador Gnome with a semi-flex OB nib while the medium sized 976 has semi-flex B steel nib. They can be had for a reasonable price on eBay.

Fabulous pen! Was it a custom designed pen?

Nope, not custom design. But might as well have been :)

Nakaya page link

Don't stare at the price. This is a tool that can, if treated properly, serve you for life. Sure other pens can do that too. But, on top of the functionality, this is a work of art that will provide you with just as much pleasure staring at it as using it :thumbup:

Thanks for the link. It on now on my list of "Pens" to get. Actually there is one listed on classifieds if anyone is interested.

A shot for a past Pentrace PSF with black pens as the topic:

Wahl faceted Bantam; Williamson-something (sorry, can't retrieve the detail from my brain); DeFon; Waterman 55V; Esterbrook Relief; Parker Vacuum Filler; Waterman 94; Pelikan/ Tiffany Atlas.

http://gergyor.com/images/black_pens.jpg

Regards, greg

Nice pens. The DeFon has piqued my interest. Does it have a twist filler?

I don't think I've seen one in this thread yet so I thought I would post a picture of my latest pen purchase straight from the Philly Pen Show!

Probably Sheaffer's most iconic and elegant pen, the Balance.

This particular Balance is a first year example from 1929 in the standard size.

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae149/thefancyman/DSCF2419_zpse9c1245a.jpg

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

I can get behind this one. I think I might own more blue pens than black pens... but I really think there is no denying the classic look. The first one is a Retro 51 Hex-O-Matic pencil... not a fountain pen, but the idea is the same...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Ooq5EcrsDQg/UPTB6Ag-jeI/AAAAAAAAB2g/e0vOKNVYvC0/s1600/IMG_0316+(1024x513).jpg

Florida Blue, looking at that Balance, it's easy to see why it was such a success. Very nice. Congrats on your find at the pen show.

sirach, that's quite a nice collection, and the Retro 51 pencil isn't a bad addition to it. Thanks for sharing.

- - -

Currently trying to sell a Pelikan M400 White Tortoise. PM if you're interested. :)

georges, I'm really looking forward to it :puddle:

I posted a pic of my collection,but I got no reply from you

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

And here is mine, in high resolution. This one is a keeper for years to come: the CONID Bulkfiller Black. There also is a fact sheet. - JG

http://users.telenet.be/jgysenbergs/data/conidblackempty.jpg

Edited by jgysenbergs

The light you see at the end of the tunnel is that of a fast approaching train.

When I started collecting, black pens were all I had - love them for their simplicity and elegance.

Here is bunch of Matador pens

Okay, Thanks for sharing that. Now I'm drooling. drool.gif

How do the Matadors write??

Matador pens are top writers. I highly recommend these pens for their build quality and superb nibs. The large Matador (998) with the fancy clip has a nice smooth semi-flex F nib. The petite is a Matador Gnome with a semi-flex OB nib while the medium sized 976 has semi-flex B steel nib. They can be had for a reasonable price on eBay.

Fabulous pen! Was it a custom designed pen?

Nope, not custom design. But might as well have been :)

Nakaya page link

Don't stare at the price. This is a tool that can, if treated properly, serve you for life. Sure other pens can do that too. But, on top of the functionality, this is a work of art that will provide you with just as much pleasure staring at it as using it :thumbup:

Thanks for the link. It on now on my list of "Pens" to get. Actually there is one listed on classifieds if anyone is interested.

A shot for a past Pentrace PSF with black pens as the topic:

Wahl faceted Bantam; Williamson-something (sorry, can't retrieve the detail from my brain); DeFon; Waterman 55V; Esterbrook Relief; Parker Vacuum Filler; Waterman 94; Pelikan/ Tiffany Atlas.

Regards, greg

Nice pens. The DeFon has piqued my interest. Does it have a twist filler?

The DeFon has a weird filler, almost a cross between a vacuum-filler and a pneumatic filler. Victor Chen restored it for me a few years ago. IIRC, he said it was very uncommon, and essentially impossible to restore to like-new filling.

The pen is the only one I've run across. Picked it up because it was made in Los Angeles, and I'm not familiar with many CA-based pen companies.

Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

georges, I'm really looking forward to it :puddle:

I posted a pic of my collection,but I got no reply from you

It must be either that I was lost for words or else I simply got distracted (something my wife assures me is my strongest personality trait). I can tell that you've spent a lot of time putting that collection together, and I appreciate your sharing such a superb example with us. vbg.gif

- - -

Currently trying to sell a Pelikan M400 White Tortoise. PM if you're interested. :)

IMG_0212_800.jpg

Pelikan M150

Sheaffer Intensity

Jinhao X750

Parker Reflex

Parker Super 21

Optimat 161

Johann Faber Apollo 43

I also prefer black, here are what's currently inked:

Birds: Falcon, Swan, Pelikan

Human: Odysseus

Nature: Two Mountains

post-63793-0-92869400-1358284988.jpg

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing

IMG_0212_800.jpg

Pelikan M150

Sheaffer Intensity

Jinhao X750

Parker Reflex

Parker Super 21

Optimat 161

Johann Faber Apollo 43

That black Intensity looks sharp! How do you like it?

I also prefer black, here are what's currently inked:

Birds: Falcon, Swan, Pelikan

Human: Odysseus

Nature: Two Mountains

I never really thought about the taxonomy of pen names, but now I'm going to see it everywhere. wacko.gif

- - -

That black Intensity looks sharp! How do you like it?

It is a heavy pen, at 39 g. Well made.

But I don't actually use it very often. I enjoy the looks, but not the ergonomy, too slim and heavy for me. It was a present, that's why I have it.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/Hei%20Long%20Jiang/IMG_3425.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/Hei%20Long%20Jiang/IMG_3419.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/Hei%20Long%20Jiang/IMG_3421.jpg

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Nice pens, everyone! I'm actually surprised this thread hasn't been more popular -- there must be more black pen lovers out there.

This topic has been broached before....but the old thread must be in storage as I cannot find it now. :mellow:

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

i love the black pens too even if i just got a MB146 in this color.They're always nice and classy.The prove that people still love them it's that pen manufacturers are still doing them

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.