Top Posters In This Topic

• notVirtuThe3rd

• inkstick

• Sailor Kenshin

• symphony

Thanks for links Virtu , watched alot of them , very informative :thumbup:

You're more than welcome.

And thank you so much for your comment!

I'm really glad you've enjoyed watching my videos. :)

Stay in touch,

VirtuThe3rd

Congratulations, Kenshin!

Both Sailor Zoom nib and EF nib are extremely smooth to write with.

I hope you'll enjoy writing with the new nibs.

Thanks for informing me. :)

I love them! I had no idea an extra-fine nib could feel so smooth and expressive. The Zoom is amazing, too.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I love them! I had no idea an extra-fine nib could feel so smooth and expressive. The Zoom is amazing, too.

Thanks, Kenshin. I'm really glad to hear that. You know common characteristics of Japanese fountain pens are their smoothness! Especially, the Sailor company may not produce the unique looking pens in their standard line, but they sure do make some great quality pens. The 1911 and Professional Gear ( or Sapporo ) are both made with the precision that you would expect in a fine writing instrument. : )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvqTTEBM8po

Thanks for the new video, Virtu. That was a fascinating comparison and I could indeed hear the difference between the Zoom and the Naginata-Togi B.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Thanks for the new video, Virtu. That was a fascinating comparison and I could indeed hear the difference between the Zoom and the Naginata-Togi B.

Thank you so much for the comment, Kenshin! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Virtu,

I have never seen such nice and talented person like you. My respect and regards to all japanese artisans.

Hi Virtu,

I have never seen such nice and talented person like you. My respect and regards to all japanese artisans.

It's with much pleasure you've enjoyed watching my videos

about Japanese fountain pens!

Thank you so much for your hearty comment on my topic.

You must be a kind person. :)

Keep in touch,

VirtuThe3rd

Dear Virtu,

You have seen so many pen artisans and companies than any one of us. Which is your favourite pen or pen brand?

Hello Virtu

I've really enjoyed your videos on the various Sailor nibs. So informative, and really nice to watch.

I think I must have had a moment of financial insanity, as I now own a Sailor 1911 with a Naginata Togi nib. I really love it. What I've found with it is that you can certainly hear it, as you write, and it gives an initial impression of being a little scratchy, or toothy. But I did a quick test, and put some music on as I was writing. The music meant that I could no longer hear the nib. I was surprised to discover that once I could no longer hear the nib write, it was, in reality, and in my case, really super-smooth. Having done that, I no longer hear the nib, or if I do, I find it reassuring that I'm in control, yet the nib is still smooth. I love it

I do find it amazingly easy to control. It naturally falls into it's "normal" writing position, if you just pick it up, and write with it without thinking, just as any nib would. Mine is a medium-fine, and it writes like a western medium. But then, it's also easy to make it do lots of other stuff. I think I can get about 6 different line widths out of it smoothly, especially if include using it in a low, oblique position, when it becomes like a paint brush :)

I just love that nib. I knew when I bought it that, as it wasn't a straight factory production nib, but had been made to a large extent by hand, each Naginata Togi nib was unique. I did find that, in order to make it entirely to my liking, I did have to do some really minor tweaking.

It's my favourite nib, but I haven't been able to compare it with the Zoom nib, as I don't own one. As it's so much cheaper to own a pen with a zoom nib, it would be great if I knew if it was as easy to control as the Togi, and also had a sort of "default" normal writing line, so that you could just pick it up without much thought, and get the same reliable line each time, unless you wanted to try something fancy. It would also be nice to know if the Zoom has the semi-flex that you can get out of the Togi.

My apologies again for coming into this thread so late, and many thanks for your great videos

Martin

Dear Virtu,

You have seen so many pen artisans and companies than any one of us. Which is your favourite pen or pen brand?

Good question! :)

I've ever tried many brands of a fountain pen in the world (incl: Montblanc, Pelikan, SHEAFFER, Waterman, and so on...). Honestly speaking, I felt Sailor is the best of all brands to write with because of its awesome smoothness and non-interindividual differences!

Furthermore, Sailor is better than any other Japanese brands in terms of after-purchase servicing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0RyKtAsIKM

Hello Virtu

I've really enjoyed your videos on the various Sailor nibs. So informative, and really nice to watch.

I think I must have had a moment of financial insanity, as I now own a Sailor 1911 with a Naginata Togi nib. I really love it. What I've found with it is that you can certainly hear it, as you write, and it gives an initial impression of being a little scratchy, or toothy. But I did a quick test, and put some music on as I was writing. The music meant that I could no longer hear the nib. I was surprised to discover that once I could no longer hear the nib write, it was, in reality, and in my case, really super-smooth. Having done that, I no longer hear the nib, or if I do, I find it reassuring that I'm in control, yet the nib is still smooth. I love it

I do find it amazingly easy to control. It naturally falls into it's "normal" writing position, if you just pick it up, and write with it without thinking, just as any nib would. Mine is a medium-fine, and it writes like a western medium. But then, it's also easy to make it do lots of other stuff. I think I can get about 6 different line widths out of it smoothly, especially if include using it in a low, oblique position, when it becomes like a paint brush :)

I just love that nib. I knew when I bought it that, as it wasn't a straight factory production nib, but had been made to a large extent by hand, each Naginata Togi nib was unique. I did find that, in order to make it entirely to my liking, I did have to do some really minor tweaking.

It's my favourite nib, but I haven't been able to compare it with the Zoom nib, as I don't own one. As it's so much cheaper to own a pen with a zoom nib, it would be great if I knew if it was as easy to control as the Togi, and also had a sort of "default" normal writing line, so that you could just pick it up without much thought, and get the same reliable line each time, unless you wanted to try something fancy. It would also be nice to know if the Zoom has the semi-flex that you can get out of the Togi.

My apologies again for coming into this thread so late, and many thanks for your great videos

Martin

Thanks, Martin! :)

Naginata-togi is one of the most unique and interesting nibs, I do feel as well.

It provides variable line width depending on the angle of the pen to the paper

- the lower the angle, the broader the line.

It sounds a bit scratchy but feels really wet and smooth!!

Mr. Nagahara and his son are awesome nibmeisters.

The other day, I went to Izumo Taisha Grand Shrine. The name of "Izumo" is supposably well known as the Platinum Izumo or Izumo-tamenuri or Izumo-tagayasan. Understandably, "Izumo" comes from Izumo Taisha Grand Shrine.

http://www.platinum-pen.co.jp/products/fountain/e_fountain_izumo.html

At first, the fountain pen Izumo was expected to be released and made declaration in the name of "Izumo Taisha". But the Platinum's application was dismissed the trademark registration by law. Because of this fact, the fountain pen "Izumo Taisha" was changed the designation of "Izumo".

Just for your information :)
From Japan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzJ0ZapRmG0

Edited by VirtuThe3rd

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. Thank you so much for the information about Izumo. Your videos are always beautiful, please don't stop posting them! :cloud9:

Hi. Thank you so much for the information about Izumo. Your videos are always beautiful, please don't stop posting them! :cloud9:

Thanks! Glad you've enjoyed my videos.

I'll try to do so. :)

A very touching video--thanks for uploading the clip. This is perhaps why the Japanese call the fountain pen, manenbitsu--the pen indeed outlasts the man in mortal years.

AAA

Interesting read and thanks for the testimonials Virtu :thumbup: The sailor after sales service in Japan might be awesome but in Europe I don't know. I have had to deal with MB, Pelikan, Montegrappa and Omas after sales service and in all honesty I always have had an outstanding after sales service. My only problem with Sailor is that they mostly make pens with convertors that cost a lot of money. Otherwise their craftsmanship is very high. I also like Danitrio which has a very high craftsmanship and at default of making piston fillers makes eye droppers. The only sailor I want is the realo that was based on the king of pen which was built in 500 examples and which had a real piston filler.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

A very touching video--thanks for uploading the clip. This is perhaps why the Japanese call the fountain pen, manenbitsu--the pen indeed outlasts the man in mortal years.

Thank you very much for your watching my videos! : )

That's right.

In Japan, the fountainpens are called "mannenhitsu" because

they can be used almost permanently.

Mannen means semipermanent.

Hitsu means pen.