Best Italic Pen?

mberman14

Thanks! That's extremely helpful. I have asked the questions you suggest and await their response.

I depends on which 21K Sailor nib John @ nibs.com wants to start with.

If he starts with say an "MS" nib that has an abundance of tipping material (about 1.15 mm), he can give you a grind from about 1.1 mm down to about .05 mm for an edged-nib (be it a stub, cursive or sharp italic).

For my size of writing, my inks & papers & the line-spacings I prefer to use,.... I like my italics to be in the 0.7mm (+ or - 0.1 mm.)range.

The line that these italics will lay down still depends on the style of the tip, the ink & the paper you personally use.

It helps to send any technician a sample of your handwriting, even if it is written with a standard ball-tipped nib.

Some technicians use the physical size of the finished tip to arrive at an italic size (width), others use the average width of the line made by the inked nib, for their nib sizing.

You mentioned "Sailor italic broad". Sailor's standard Broad nib is only 0.6 mm wide, at best & may not be an ideal candidate for a re-grind to an italic.

A Sailor Zoom "Z" nib gives you a bit more tipping (about 0.7 mm max.) to work with, but their two-tined Music "MS" nib gives you the greatest choice of possible tip sizes.

This has just been my experience.

ed: for content

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mberman14

• mirosc

• tinta

• Bo Bo Olson

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

"Best" is of course relative. It seems from your question that cost is not much of a factor. Do you want it to do actual calligraphy italic nib, or just be able to do some writing with an italic nib to give you the thick/thin line variation?

If it's the latter, I would recommend a Platinum 3776 with the music nib. I have one. My nib has been beautiful right out of the box; it writes smoothly & wet. It doesn't give the sharpest lines of a true italic, but writes beautifully with significant line variation. I also have a Pelikan with an italic nib customized by Richard Binder this too writes well but is a cursive italic not a true calligraphic italic nib. Pelikan now makes a stock italic nib; I havn't tried one of these but used an old one many years ago; that old one wrote well. Maybe someone here can weigh in on the new Pelikan italic nibs. But among the cursive italics I own, by far the Platinum music nib is the best.

I keep hoping that Nathan Tardiff proprietor of Noodler's will come out with his music nib pen soon.

If what you're looking for is a fountain pen with a true italic nib for calligraphy practice there are several. The Rotring Art Pen is pretty good. I have several in, 1.1, 2.3 & a 2.7 (which I think is no longer made). These pens work nicely right out of the box. They are liked by many, among others, Herman Zapf, the famous German calligrapher & creator of several computer fonts (Zapf Chancery, Dingbats, Zapfino et. al.). I sent my 2.7 to nibmeister Mike Masuyama to crisp it up even more & it's very nice. I havn't figured out how to post pics here or I'd upload some writing samples. You can get a piston converter for the Rotrings so you can drink ink from a bottle rather than using cartridges. The Lamy Safari comes with a pretty nice italic nib in 2 or 3 sizes. I have the 1.5 and this also writes nice crisp italic lines right out of the box. But, I noted someone above mentioned the Osmiroid. These originally great English pens are no longer made, but I found a new one at an art supply store about 4 years ago in an aging package. The store also had some extra Osmiroid nibs which I also snapped up. The pen was about $20. & the nibs were about $10. each. These Osmiroid nibs are fantastic; they write a crisp line just about as good as a dip nib. Again if I knew how to post photos, I'd post a photo of my calligraphy practice with this nib; my wife says my calligraphy is starting to look pretty good. I read in a calligraphy supply catalog (either the John Neal or the Paper & Ink Arts) that you can get a piston converter which is compatible with the Osmiroid so mine is fitted with a converter to drink bottle ink. I thought that the only way to get any more of these Osmiroids would be to go to Ebay, but I recently found a website from Australia that appears to have a substantial supply of Osmiroid pens, including dip pens, and nibs. I don't think Osmiroids are in production anywhere anymore, originally English, I think for a while they were also being produced in China, but it seems that this Australian co. has a substantial amount of New Old Stock. Here's the site:http://www.ornasonova.com/Osmiroid.htm. I havn't yet ordered from them, but I'm planning to.

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

I have had custom italics done by Richard Binder and Pendleton Brown which were all excellent. That said these nibs can be somewhat expensive and I would not recommend them until you have figured out exactly what you want in terms of size, line variation, and smoothness. Otherwise you may be stuck with a relatively expensive nib that you don't use. Been there, done that.

Factory italics that I have tried:

Pilot Plumix has a great CI nib that is not too wide, I'm guessing a 0.6 with great line variation. The pen is funny looking but the nib can be transplanted to many other pilot pens including the stealth and cosmopolitan quite easily.

Nemosine 0.6mm CI is also quite good. One of mine needed a little tine adjustment but the nib is quite smooth. Also a very affordable option.

Pelikan M200 italic CI is very smooth. It's broad, I would guess a 1.2 or so. Fantastic line variation with great ink flow. Because the nib is so wide it can be a little fussy about nib orientation when writing.

Eversharp Symphony Stub (vintage) - A nice smooth stub with line variation similar to my CIs and a nice amount of flex. Purchased NOS from Teri at Peyton Street Pens. It took quite a bit of playing with the nibs position on the feed...but once I got it adjusted right wow...may be my favorite nib.

Hope this helps,

NM

Thanks, Maurizio! I had an Osmiroid as a teenager, and still have the nibs, but the body is long gone, I guess -- great to have a source for them, assuming they are real NOS and not some Chinese knockoffs.

I did get the Italix Parson's Essential and Churchman's Prescriptor, at the recommendation of some on this thread. They are lovely pens, a pleasure to hold, beautiful to look at. They are incredibly smooth, free-flowing nibs, so I can see that they would be very comfortable daily writers, but the flip side of that smooth, free-flowing nature is that they are not quite as sharp as I would like. I wasn't looking for a pure calligraphy pen, but perhaps something in between. Here is an example of each, compared with a cheap Sheaffer, just to give an idea of the difference in sharpness.

post-93222-0-78178500-1357827335.jpg

As you can see, the fine lines are much finer on the Sheaffer (which I misspelled in the sample, I see).

I guess my ideal pen would have the body of an Italix (I do love the weight of all that brass) with a nib that looks like theirs but writes like a Sheaffer or Osmiroid.

"Best" is of course relative. It seems from your question that cost is not much of a factor. Do you want it to do actual calligraphy italic nib, or just be able to do some writing with an italic nib to give you the thick/thin line variation?

If it's the latter, I would recommend a Platinum 3776 with the music nib. I have one. My nib has been beautiful right out of the box; it writes smoothly & wet. It doesn't give the sharpest lines of a true italic, but writes beautifully with significant line variation. I also have a Pelikan with an italic nib customized by Richard Binder this too writes well but is a cursive italic not a true calligraphic italic nib. Pelikan now makes a stock italic nib; I havn't tried one of these but used an old one many years ago; that old one wrote well. Maybe someone here can weigh in on the new Pelikan italic nibs. But among the cursive italics I own, by far the Platinum music nib is the best.

I keep hoping that Nathan Tardiff proprietor of Noodler's will come out with his music nib pen soon.

If what you're looking for is a fountain pen with a true italic nib for calligraphy practice there are several. The Rotring Art Pen is pretty good. I have several in, 1.1, 2.3 & a 2.7 (which I think is no longer made). These pens work nicely right out of the box. They are liked by many, among others, Herman Zapf, the famous German calligrapher & creator of several computer fonts (Zapf Chancery, Dingbats, Zapfino et. al.). I sent my 2.7 to nibmeister Mike Masuyama to crisp it up even more & it's very nice. I havn't figured out how to post pics here or I'd upload some writing samples. You can get a piston converter for the Rotrings so you can drink ink from a bottle rather than using cartridges. The Lamy Safari comes with a pretty nice italic nib in 2 or 3 sizes. I have the 1.5 and this also writes nice crisp italic lines right out of the box. But, I noted someone above mentioned the Osmiroid. These originally great English pens are no longer made, but I found a new one at an art supply store about 4 years ago in an aging package. The store also had some extra Osmiroid nibs which I also snapped up. The pen was about $20. & the nibs were about $10. each. These Osmiroid nibs are fantastic; they write a crisp line just about as good as a dip nib. Again if I knew how to post photos, I'd post a photo of my calligraphy practice with this nib; my wife says my calligraphy is starting to look pretty good. I read in a calligraphy supply catalog (either the John Neal or the Paper & Ink Arts) that you can get a piston converter which is compatible with the Osmiroid so mine is fitted with a converter to drink bottle ink. I thought that the only way to get any more of these Osmiroids would be to go to Ebay, but I recently found a website from Australia that appears to have a substantial supply of Osmiroid pens, including dip pens, and nibs. I don't think Osmiroids are in production anywhere anymore, originally English, I think for a while they were also being produced in China, but it seems that this Australian co. has a substantial amount of New Old Stock. Here's the site:http://www.ornasonova.com/Osmiroid.htm. I havn't yet ordered from them, but I'm planning to.

I don't know what an Italix is so you've given me something to explore. If you like the Shaeffer line you wrote (sp?), from my experience, I think you would like the Lamy nib. The Lamy Safari is a $25 - 30. pen & my 1.5 nib wrote well right out of the box with a crisp italic line which I think is a bit better than the Shaeffer ( I have some of those too of ). I wish I had bought a wider nib. I think they make a 1.9 which you might like to try. From you sample above, your Italix & Churchman samples look like the way my Pilot Music Nib writes, nice line variation, but not the clear crisp edges of a true italic.

Re your Osmiroids, if you've got the nibs, that Australian website is selling just bodies. I don't know if they're Chinese made or NOS of the English production; if I had to guess, I'd say they'd be Chinese; but, if you've got some of the real old English nibs, you're in good shape.

Maurizio

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

I don't know what an Italix is so you've given me something to explore. If you like the Shaeffer line you wrote (sp?), from my experience, I think you would like the Lamy nib. The Lamy Safari is a $25 - 30. pen & my 1.5 nib wrote well right out of the box with a crisp italic line which I think is a bit better than the Shaeffer ( I have some of those too of ). I wish I had bought a wider nib. I think they make a 1.9 which you might like to try. From you sample above, your Italix & Churchman samples look like the way my Pilot Music Nib writes, nice line variation, but not the clear crisp edges of a true italic.

Re your Osmiroids, if you've got the nibs, that Australian website is selling just bodies. I don't know if they're Chinese made or NOS of the English production; if I had to guess, I'd say they'd be Chinese; but, if you've got some of the real old English nibs, you're in good shape.

Maurizio

I agree about the Lamy italic nibs. Geeessss, they do an incredible job and as you said, they are flawless right out of the box. I have 2 of them, a 1.5 and a 1.1. The 1.5 continues to impress me every time I use it. Just try one, they are not expensive. Get a 1.5 just for giggles, and see if you are not amazed with the results. I betcha are!

Edited by MusinkMan

Maker of Custom Oblique Pen Holders

Visit me at http://uniqueobliques.etsy.com

I contacted them, and they assured me that they are NOS from England, so I placed an order.

Here is the link for the Italix pens:

http://www.mrpen.co.uk/

As far as I know, that is the only place to buy the Italix line.

I agree about the Lamy italic nibs. Geeessss, they do an incredible job and as you said, they are flawless right out of the box. I have 2 of them, a 1.5 and a 1.1. The 1.5 continues to impress me every time I use it. Just try one, they are not expensive. Get a 1.5 just for giggles, and see if you are not amazed with the results. I betcha are!

I've been thinking about the Lamy for awhile -- I have some of their other pens. So, with your ringing recommendation I will give it a try. Thanks!

a vintage sheaffer OS Balance, a vintage parker duofold, a vintage pfm or vintage 149 with an italic nib

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

You can also get an italic nib in the Nemosine pen at xfountainpen.com for $15.00. I have used the .6mm italic (there is also a .8mm)available too. Free shipping last time I looked at orders over $20.00. Had good service and happy with the product (have three so far)

No affiliation.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

I'm pretty happy with the Pelikan M200 with the factory italic nib. For fine presentation work I'm more likely to use a dip pen with a Mitchell nib, but that has more to do with ink choices.

Mike

Make sure you get English Osmiroids, in they fit an Esterbrook. They do not fit a Pelikan.

There was some Chinese Osmiroids made that do not fit Esterbrooks. So make sure you get English Osmiroids.

I was very happy that Maurizio had enough experience with italic nibs and Osmiroid nibs to say how real good they were. I have only that set and a Lamy 1.5 Joy.

I have an old mdl 65 that even if it is a cheaper pen, it's not too bad. They also made a Mdl 75, it is a piston pen.

I am quite happy with the nibs.I am glad they rate high, some times you can get something good that is cheap. I know Osmiroid ruled the calligraphy market with it's nibs for ages.

Esterbrook is a nicer feeling pen, so if you have an Esterbrook you are set if you can find a 6 nib Osmiroid set on English Ebay; be worth the Hunt :rolleyes: ...and if you don't have an Esterbrook, it gives you a real reason to buy one.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Inexpensive, outta the box pens with good italic nibs, many of which have already been mentioned:

Pilot Plumix

Pilot 78g B

Nemosine Singularity (very CI)

Rotring Artpen

Lamy Safari

Diplomat 1.1

Sheaffer No Nonsense (the old-stock being much nicer)

Hero (comes in a kit w/interchangeable sections, forgot the exact model number)

All of which I own or have owned...will give you a quick, inexpensive italic pen experience and will write well.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Maurizio

Lamy 1.1, 1.5, 1.9

post-97989-0-48031300-1358663455.jpg

Okay, I used to have the Letter Writers Alliance and The Snail Mail Exchange in here. Somehow, my browsers settings and the forum's settings work together to prevent that from being the case at the moment. Whenever I try to update my signature, the whole process breakls down. So. Whatever.

Inexpensive, outta the box pens with good italic nibs, many of which have already been mentioned:

Pilot Plumix

Pilot 78g B

Nemosine Singularity (very CI)

Rotring Artpen

Lamy Safari

Diplomat 1.1

Sheaffer No Nonsense (the old-stock being much nicer)

Hero (comes in a kit w/interchangeable sections, forgot the exact model number)

All of which I own or have owned...will give you a quick, inexpensive italic pen experience and will write well.

+1 on the Plumix!

Hands down the best italic pen I've ever owned, and the cheapest pen I've owned!

I was thinking of making a Pelikan M200 with an Italifine nib from Richard one of the goals for this year. Pelikan M200s go for cheap, so I was hoping to be able to get a nice letter-writing pen with that combo.

Will also try to obtain a glass nibbed fountain pen, and another one will have to depend on what strikes my fancy.

Now, let me just save up for them. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

What do y'all think about using a flex pen for Italic. I've been experimenting a bit with it -- it doesn't look exactly the same as the result you get with an Italic nib, but it is interesting. Here's a sample.

--Matt

Matt, what is this paper?

So many pens. So little time.

I believe it was the Strathmore 24 lb. 25% cotton wove, my favorite (relatively) inexpensive paper for wet fountain pens in my humid, ocean-side location.

Matt

Matt, what is this paper?

Edited by mberman14