Whats Your Choice Of Mechanical Pencil?

jbjr11

Another vintage pencil user here. Sheaffer Snorkel Valiant pencil, with 2B .9mm leads.

Calculating.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MYU

• Dillo

• flatline

• Tasmith

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When it comes to lead holders, I can recommend metal Koh-I-Noor. It is just such a pleasure to use it!

“Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down.” Jimmy Durante quotes (American Comedian, Pianist and Singer, 1893-1980)

Has anyone tried one of these: http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/Koh-I-Noor-5340-Clutch-Pencil.html#a26867

or one of these: http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/Koh-I-Noor-5359-Clutch-Pencil.html

I am wondering about trying the 5.6mm route...

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write.
William Makepeace Thackeray

Has anyone tried one of these: http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/Koh-I-Noor-5340-Clutch-Pencil.html#a26867

or one of these: http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/Koh-I-Noor-5359-Clutch-Pencil.html

It's good to know I'm not the only one who went looking at clutch pencils at Cultpens just now. They have this force field of sorts that makes me compulsively add stuff to my basket. Personally, I happen to like the resin or wood-bodied clutch pencils a lot more. In my experience, the aluminium tends to be quite slippery in comparison to chrome. After a while, I also find myself getting tired of holding heavier pens and pencils, so I tend to like the wood and resin more. The E+M might be a good choice for this. I've been thinking though of getting something like the Aurora Optima version so that I can have a pair for my fountain pen or the Montblanc Leonardo Sketch pencil which is now available in platinum trim and now accepts leads up to 5.7 mm. Those are two expensive options though.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

It's good to know I'm not the only one who went looking at clutch pencils at Cultpens just now. They have this force field of sorts that makes me compulsively add stuff to my basket. Personally, I happen to like the resin or wood-bodied clutch pencils a lot more. In my experience, the aluminium tends to be quite slippery in comparison to chrome. After a while, I also find myself getting tired of holding heavier pens and pencils, so I tend to like the wood and resin more. The E+M might be a good choice for this. I've been thinking though of getting something like the Aurora Optima version so that I can have a pair for my fountain pen or the Montblanc Leonardo Sketch pencil which is now available in platinum trim and now accepts leads up to 5.7 mm. Those are two expensive options though.

Dillon

I have put clutch pencils in my CultPens basket so many times over the last months. And then wondered if that was the right thing to do or not.

I have been looking at the e+m Workman long too. But the Koh-I-Noor just seem to have that special "something" in the pictures. In real life, they may be nasty to hold, though. That is why I am still in the umming and aahing stage. They are all only around a tenner, but my desk is cluttered enough as it is! ;)

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write.
William Makepeace Thackeray

WoW!

I have a few MP's: a vintage fancy silver 1900 +- (in a live auction pen lot), a German Parker clone of the early '30's, a couple very pretty mottled German ones (+one a designer piece) from the early '50's (from the original inherited pens from the back of the drawer that started me onto fountain pens) and my Parker lead cartridge for my P-75 BP/MP.

I don't use them, which is a shame, but they are too nice, because of the era or pretty to sell.

Realistically I should, so those who really appreciate them could have them.

On the first page, I found out how very ignorant I was. Thanks.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I have a Standardgraph 571506 that is identical in appearance to the Koh-I-Noor 5340. It's a fat, heavy thing, well suited to large, expressive sketching (doing anything small with a 5.6 mm lead is a waste of graphite!). The barrel is octagonal and quite comfortable to hold and use.

Bonus: the clutch is just the right size to hold a dip pen nib securely.

Mike Hungerford

Model Zips - Google Drive

5.6 pencils are wonderful. I use them for taking notes, drawing, etc. You can also get many types of leads.

I have put clutch pencils in my CultPens basket so many times over the last months. And then wondered if that was the right thing to do or not.

I have been looking at the e+m Workman long too. But the Koh-I-Noor just seem to have that special "something" in the pictures. In real life, they may be nasty to hold, though. That is why I am still in the umming and aahing stage. They are all only around a tenner, but my desk is cluttered enough as it is! ;)

There's definitely that special something about the Koh-I-Noors. The e+m pencils are very minimalist. The Koh-I-Noors both look more interesting. Sometimes I wish I could just try them out before committing.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Personal fan of the Pentel Graphgear 1000. After surviving 2 field camps and a number of weekends of abuse out camping I couldn't be any happier with it.

I use any vintage Parker .7mm or .9mm that I place in rotation for work

each week, Jotter, P21, P51 & Vac. I will never use a pencil with a .5mm

lead [ TOO Thin ( Breaks too easy )]. I gave my Sister a P21 pencil for

her work. She tells me she is the CAT'S MEOW, some of her co-workers

think that is a cool pencil. I already fixed the pencil once. She kept playing

with the clip screw and lost it. I told her I want to see the pencil in 20 years

after she's done working in a machine shop to see how the pencil looks.

I have the Koh-I-Noor 5311 and it's really nice! Solid and comfortable to hold and it has a cool steampunk aesthetic too. I also like the Pilot Croquis 3.8mm sketch pencils too.

I use any vintage Parker .7mm or .9mm that I place in rotation for work

each week, Jotter, P21, P51 & Vac. I will never use a pencil with a .5mm

lead [ TOO Thin ( Breaks too easy )]. I gave my Sister a P21 pencil for

her work. She tells me she is the CAT'S MEOW, some of her co-workers

think that is a cool pencil. I already fixed the pencil once. She kept playing

with the clip screw and lost it. I told her I want to see the pencil in 20 years

after she's done working in a machine shop to see how the pencil looks.

You should try the Uni Kuru Toga...5mm. I have had mine a few months and have not had a lead break yet. The mechanism rotates the lead each time you click it so that you dont wear down one side ( which usually is the cause for breakage ) and it seems to work perfectly.

David

For so long as one hundred men remain alive,we shall never under any conditions submit to the

domination of the English. It is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but only for liberty, which

no good man will consent to lose but with his life.

There's definitely that special something about the Koh-I-Noors. The e+m pencils are very minimalist. The Koh-I-Noors both look more interesting. Sometimes I wish I could just try them out before committing.

Dillon

I handled the e+m line at a B&M, and wasn't impressed.

Like RobertP, I have been putting clutches into and taking them out of my Cult Pens basket for a while now......

I would agree with some of the other recommendations. I personally really like the rOtring 800, but it might be a little heavy for some. Other wise, it is a well built, sturdy mechanical pencil.

Nick

"It is much more interesting to live life not knowing, than having answers which might be wrong."

"Courage is grace under pressure" ~ Ernest Hemingway

When I was young I was given a sliver plated Yard-O-Led as a present. I used it at school to annotate books until one day, somehow, it got nicked.

Not that long ago I discovered Yard-O-Leds on eBay and bought myself one and again am very fond of it. I like the weight of it and how it fits in my hand. It's good to be re-united with this type of pencil after all these years. What other mechanical pencils do you use and recommend for book annotation and drawing little diagrams (as opposed to technical drawing or sketching)?

I handled the e+m line at a B&M, and wasn't impressed.

Like RobertP, I have been putting clutches into and taking them out of my Cult Pens basket for a while now......

That's good to know. I usually like to hold the pencils in my hand and see how they feel or balance. The next time I get a haul from cultpens, I'll let you know my thoughts on what I get.

Dillon

Dillon

That's good to know. I usually like to hold the pencils in my hand and see how they feel or balance. The next time I get a haul from cultpens, I'll let you know my thoughts on what I get.

Dillon

Cheers.

Yes, the stock photos are very flattering. They felt imbalanced and looked very cheap in person.

While not a "fine" writing instrument, I second the great attributes of the Kuru Toga. I have a couple of the .5's for everyday use and they are well built, feel decent in hand, and are very inexpensive for the quality.