• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• La Stilografica Milano

• BrandonA

• JLS1

• Vicynax

I was hoping to get some help from you guys on the 99 LE. I have been given the option to buy one (number not disclosed).

I don't think I could stomach using a pen on a daily basis - I would spend too much time worrying about it to enjoy it.

With that in mind, I would hold it for a few years (anywhere from 2 - 10 years) to seek some investment value - it could turn out to be a good diversification away from the usual.

It's circa £20k, is a skeleton 146 size in white gold (yes, we have all seen and drooled at the pictures).

My assessment is that it should appreciate, more for the non intrinsic value character. It is 99 pieces rather than the 240 Gandhi LE equivalent. Einstein is clearly a very popular, well known figure - something that's important I'm told.

I wondered if any of you had any experience of such pens (MB very LE) appreciating? It would just be speculation but would be good to get the opinion of those who know much more.

By the way, also have a FP Einstein 3000 LE for sale which should be going up later this evening.

Can u post an image of the new ink ? Ie writing sample

The ink is very dark. I wrote a list the other day with half the entries written with this ink and the other with mystery black (both with MB medium nibbled pens). You can tell the difference, but they are quite close in colour.

I think they should have gone with a silvery or a dark blue coloured ink personally.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

I was hoping to get some help from you guys on the 99 LE. I have been given the option to buy one (number not disclosed).

I don't think I could stomach using a pen on a daily basis - I would spend too much time worrying about it to enjoy it.

With that in mind, I would hold it for a few years (anywhere from 2 - 10 years) to seek some investment value - it could turn out to be a good diversification away from the usual.

It's circa £20k, is a skeleton 146 size in white gold (yes, we have all seen and drooled at the pictures).

My assessment is that it should appreciate, more for the non intrinsic value character. It is 99 pieces rather than the 240 Gandhi LE equivalent. Einstein is clearly a very popular, well known figure - something that's important I'm told.

I wondered if any of you had any experience of such pens (MB very LE) appreciating? It would just be speculation but would be good to get the opinion of those who know much more.

By the way, also have a FP Einstein 3000 LE for sale which should be going up later this evening.

I wish I could help you but I'm always wary of using pens as an investment vehicle. The only advice I can give you is to make sure you're buying the pen for the right reasons: if you are buying the Einstein because you enjoy it and any financial appreciation you might get is secondary, then go for it! On the other hand, if you're considering it mainly for the possibility of financial appreciation, I'd think twice...

This is the first time I've *wanted* a Montblanc LE. Before this, yes, they were pretty to look at, but now...wow :puddle:

It seems almost unfair that a science teacher doesn't have one. I dread the day they come out with a Charles Darwin,

FWIW, I did not report your sales thread in this forum. which has apparently been taken down for not complying with the rules. I did point out to you that it was poor form to subvert the rules by trying to sell a pen without obtaining Gold Member status first. I'm just saying that I didn't tattle, and I don't know who did, but I'm also not surprised that the thread was deleted (or simply made invisible).

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

FWIW, I did not report your sales thread in this forum. which has apparently been taken down for not complying with the rules. I did point out to you that it was poor form to subvert the rules by trying to sell a pen without obtaining Gold Member status first. I'm just saying that I didn't tattle, and I don't know who did, but I'm also not surprised that the thread was deleted (or simply made invisible).

Ditto Ditto

It is a pity that the pen is not of 149 size.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons." – General D. MacArthur

“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” – W. Churchill

• 2 weeks later...

It is a nice pen but it doesn't offer a flex nib. So I would rather spare money and buy a vintage MB 149 in solid gold/solid white gold made by lefevre of the 50's-80's

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 2 weeks later...

Out of curiosity, are the formulas engraved into the barrel? If so, can you 'feel' them in the palm of your hand when writing?

They are engraved into the barrel. Yes, You'll feel them in the tips of your hand if you were to hold it where they are engraved.

Eddie Lin -- 714.424.5270

Montblanc {South Coast Plaza}

3333 Bristol Street #2209, Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Great photos.

I'm loving my Einstein. I love the weight and the way the formulas on the barrel catch the light when you rotate the pen in the hand.

I'm thinking about getting the Hitchcock around April time. Out of curiosity how much does that pen weigh?

The Hitchcock is a little bit lighter than the Einstein. Einstein feels like a heavier version of the Swift pen if you've held it. Hitchcock is stubbier and the weight is more concentrated in the center rather than spread out like the Einstein.

Eddie Lin -- 714.424.5270

Montblanc {South Coast Plaza}

3333 Bristol Street #2209, Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Out of curiosity, are the formulas engraved into the barrel? If so, can you 'feel' them in the palm of your hand when writing?

They are engraved into the barrel. Yes, You'll feel them in the tips of your hand if you were to hold it where they are engraved.

Great - thanks for letting us know!

(Oddly enough, this makes me want one even more...ah, one day when I win the lottery ;) )

I love the Einstein, but I'm not gonna get one (at least, that's what I tell myself) until I collect all of the WEs... Half way there on those.

Great photos.

I'm loving my Einstein. I love the weight and the way the formulas on the barrel catch the light when you rotate the pen in the hand.

I'm thinking about getting the Hitchcock around April time. Out of curiosity how much does that pen weigh?

The Hitchcock is a little bit lighter than the Einstein. Einstein feels like a heavier version of the Swift pen if you've held it. Hitchcock is stubbier and the weight is more concentrated in the center rather than spread out like the Einstein.

Thank you for the comparison.

I noticed yesterday that they've added the pen to the Montblanc website now under the limited edition section.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this pen a piston or cartridge/converter fill mechanism. If it is a piston is there a way to peek inside and see if there is any ink left?

Is this pen a piston or cartridge/converter fill mechanism. If it is a piston is there a way to peek inside and see if there is any ink left?

It is a piston filler.

I'm sure you could take the pen part to find out how much ink is inside it but there is not an ink window for easy viewing.

The above is the case with most of the MB limited edition fountain pens so don't let this be a reason not to purchase.

Thanks, I hope to go look at it soon. I am practicing my sad puppy look so that SWMBO will just sigh and say "just buy the darn thing".