Vintage Papermate Ballpoint For The Occasional Fp User.

senor47

Hi everyone.

I like using FPs, but almost everything that I encounter that requires writing is "meant" for ballpoints. I like the modern disposables that Papermate has such as the Write Bros and Profiles, but since I can't use my Pelikans and Lamys I should at least get something vintage to make it a bit more interesting.

I read some posts here and there about people who enjoyed using the older Papermate when compared to the new ones, but they are recalling when they used them back in the day and comparing that experience to today's models. Are the old Papermate ballpoints still good today or were they good back in the day and are now junk do to time?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you. :thumbup:

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 51ISH

• nxn96

• robofkent

• Sherwood Forester

Papermate refills offered today write differently than those of the 1950's-1990s, due to new ink formulas that have been introduced through the years. Overall, they write more like "gels" or "rollerballs" due to the new ink formulas used. They can blob on occasion, but are smoother and easier to use for longer periods than the older formula refills. Are they better? Only you can decide that by giving some a try.

As you note, current Papermates are different in design and manufacture from vintage. They no longer make metal bodied "deluxe" pens that followed the classic design style of the Parker Jotter. Now, the designs are more contemporary (with Asian design themes and manufacture), with little traditional "American" style. That traditional style and US manufacture, attract me to vintage Papermates.

If you purchase a vintage Papermate that was well cared for, it should be reasonably durable. It's not a throw-about pen, but given the level of care used for your fountain pens, you should find it will work well for a very long time. The barrel plastic can crack, but there are metal body Papermates that don't have that issue. Find a good example and use it without hesitation.

Back in the 1960's & 70's, Papermates held a market position a bit below a Parker Jotter, but very much a cut above the other pens sold through Drug, Variety and other retail stores of the day. They were a very well made pen and the modern refills fit quite fine. I don't follow them on eBay, but I would think a vintage Papermate is pretty easy to souce at not too much money. Vintage (or modern, for that matter) Jotters are also a good choice.

Hope this helps.

Papermate refills offered today write differently than those of the 1950's-1990s, due to new ink formulas that have been introduced through the years. Overall, they write more like "gels" or "rollerballs" due to the new ink formulas used. They can blob on occasion, but are smoother and easier to use for longer periods than the older formula refills.

The old refills used to be rather smooth......consequently....They could blob on occasion...too :thumbup:

Can't really add anything that WriteAway hasn't already covered. :clap1:

Edited by 51ISH

One of my Christmas presents in the late '60s was a Papermate Powerpoint ballpoint, a slimline gold-coloured metal pen. It's marketing spiel (or gimmick if you prefer) was that it had been developed during the NASA space programme to overcome the problem of writing whilst the pen was inverted or when there was zero gravity. Pressure on the business-end activated a pump in the refill which forced ink to the ballpoint. It was a novelty which appealed to me as a young teenager and seemed a cutting-edge piece of technology at that time. It certainly performed very well and replacement refills were easily obtained although they were somewhat pricey even then.

As I became more interested in fountain pens the Papermate was used less and less, eventually becoming redundant and forgotten.

It was rediscovered a year or two ago and I thought it a waste that such a good pen was not being used. I was disappointed not to be able to buy Powerpoint refills any more and so I had to settle for the "normal" Papermate version. I find that they perform perfectly adequately and my old pen is once again the ballpoint of choice, although some of it's gold-coloured paint has understandably worn off.

It would be nice, though, to still be able to write with the pen held at any angle once more! ;)

To err is human. To errrrrrrr is confusion.

fpn_1376577066__new_signature.jpg

I like the Papermate Holiday ballpoints, usually two-tone, like dark and medium blue, etc. I have my grandmother's Holiday in medium green cap and light green barrel. When these pens come up on ebay they often run $30 to $50, so somebody else must like them too.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I chased Jotters, still have five, and a couple other Parkers....and three or four from the '50's, Pelikan and matching very pretty Austrian ball points.

Wow...did those Austrian pens bring back memories...of when normal ball points had problems, I had forgotten.

Papermate was always a sharp looking ball point.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

...It would be nice, though, to still be able to write with the pen held at any angle once more! ;)

Just as information (I haven't tried it), Fisher makes a special pressurized refill which supposedly works in 1950s Papermates. I don't know if it would fit yours, from the 1960s.

Edited by ISW_Kaputnik

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

Here is a nice 1980s Papermate ballpoint for sale:

http://www.andys-pens.co.uk/pm012.shtml

If you wanted some American style, you could consider one of the Cross Century or Century II's.

....and here's a current eBay listing that should keep you flush in Papermates for some time to come:

Item number:330831499327

If you wanted some American style, you could consider one of the Cross Century or Century II's.

....and here's a current eBay listing that should keep you flush in Papermates for some time to come:

Wow!

:blink:

But do the pens have refills.....and are those ' 2 little hearts' pumping it to the 'nib' :ltcapd:

...It would be nice, though, to still be able to write with the pen held at any angle once more! ;)

Just as information (I haven't tried it), Fisher makes a special pressurized refill which supposedly works in 1950s Papermates. I don't know if it would fit yours, from the 1960s.

Thanks for the info. :thumbup:

To err is human. To errrrrrrr is confusion.

fpn_1376577066__new_signature.jpg

Papermate Profiles are my favorite ballpoints. I am talking about the old ones not the new plastic versions which do the name dishonor. I especially like the slim versions and purchased a few on eBay about a year ago to keep as backup. Refills are still available at the chain office supply stores in the U.S.

At work I had to use a ballpoint and I carried a black one with a chrome top for years. The clip was perfect for hanging on a pants pocket.

Papermate pen and pencil sets are a great find. I have a number of them that I use quite often.

The only problem I seem to have is finding good ballpoint refills for this ballpoint pen. When I

find them I make sure that I stock up so I don't run out at an inopportune time. If you can find the all

metal pens they are the best buy by far. The all chrome ones are extremely slippery to hold on and use.