Snail Mail Writing List

Titivillus

Hi my name is Melissa I’m 23 yrs old I live in GA for about five years now. My friend told me about this website. I thought I would join it sounded like a neat site. I have Cerebral palsy CP for short. I love to read music is another passion of mine I listen to pretty much anything. I’m a huge animal lover I have fours cats. I volunteer at my friend classroom three days a week.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Izzy

• GreenVelvet

• succubus

• YesIamnotiamnit

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi there!

I would be interested in snailing with someone from Japan! I am a reliable snailer, kind to my cat, like cooking, photography, gardening and like to talk about everything under the sun.

I am in love with Japanese postage stamps too...

thanks!

skyppere

I am: a grad student who is old enough to know better, and a Mom who is young enough to rock out with the greatest little boy in the world. Pretty much an atheist, but with an abiding love for mythology, art, cathedrals, Dante, and medieval history. Counter culture enough to maybe get in just a bit of trouble, but wise enough to know how (or perhaps when) not to.

I have a BA in Humanities/Religious Studies (magna cum), with a Jewish Studies minor. I wrote my honors thesis on Evolution, Patriarchy, and the Sexual Politics of the Religious Right, and then went on to dive head-first into the Middle Ages. I'm now in the final semester of my MA in Humanities/Religious Studies, and a graduate certificate in Medieval and Renaissance Studies. My focus is (currently) on Christianity and its minorities in western medieval Europe and related topics. I am particularly interested in heretics & Jews within Christian societies, parallel developments in Jewish and Christian mysticism, and the impact (or lack thereof) of of the Black death on these areas. I also have side interests in the machinations of the Medieval Papacy before and during the Avignon Papacy. I'm writing my thesis on specific segments in Dante's Divina Commedia and their implications in terms of medieval Eucharistic theology. I am discovering that the medievals were a rather ghastly bunch, in quixotic and wonderful ways. I am also discovering that Aquinas is beginning to make sense to me, which concerns me just the tiniest bit.

Eventually, I will likely turn all my medieval knowings back on contemporary society, and use it as a mirror to view our modern foibles, because I'm a bit of a curmudgeon that way. (Don't let that scare you off, though; I also make cookies.)

I have used fountain pens throughout my college career (to the consternation of some of my peers and professors), and have accumulated a fairly good collection. I favor Sheaffers, both vintage and newer ones, but also adore a couple of Cross Townsends I've gotten hold of. My current favorites are my Visconti Opera Ruby Red, my Lamy99, and a dreamy vintage Sheaffer Balance. In addition to these, my current workhorses are a Cardinal Townsend, a Red Swirl Targa, and a Soviet-era Soyus. I have begun to acquire inks as well (on the theory that they are cheaper than pens, if not by much), and my current favorites are De Atramentis Petrol, Diamine Monaco Red, and Herbin 1670.

My love for doing things the 'old way' isn't limited to writing by the way; I use loose-leaf tea in my antique teapot, make pumpkin pie from actual pumpkins, and grind coffee in my grandmother's crank coffee grinder, too.... There is something meditative and rather grounding about the rituals of using, filling, and caring for fountain pens. Plus, I have come to value the environmental benefits - no plastic pens and their packaging to go in the landfills! And naturally, collecting inks and pens appeals to my inner magpie; 'Oooh, shiny!'

In addition to my passion for pens, I have entirely too many books, I am a vegetarian, a Mac geek, love coffee & chocolate, and occasionally have residual pretensions of being a costumer. I am eccentric and quirky, I can sometimes be downright laconic, but wax silly just as often. I am fascinated and delighted by small, strange, unexpected and wondrous things. I'd love to exchange letters (mine may be, or at least be in cards) or postcards with folks on obscure, eccentric and deliciously offbeat topics.....

Might I be able to get in on this?

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Would be happy to take on some more snail mail, anyone interested PM me :) :thumbup:

Kind regards

NIGEL

NIGEL

Exploding Ink Maestro

Pens: Caran d'Ache Leman Godron, Lamy Safari, Italix Parsons Essential, Mont Blanc LeGrande '90 years' Edition, Sigma Style, Italix Vipers Strike, Parker Sonnet, Omas 360, Parker Duofold (c.1950), Conway Stewart #286, Conway Stewart #24, Onoto Magna Classic in Chased Midnight Blue and SS Trim

There's nothing quite like the pleasure of receiving a letter in the mail. These days, it's such a rare occurrence for me. Letter-writing is one of those pastimes that I greatly enjoy and over the last few years, e-mail has poorly taken over the realm of correspondence, much to my dismay. A friend recently lamented the fact that no one wrote letters anymore and decided to pen one to me. I was thrilled and wrote back. His letters are always a great read, but in between, I get the craving to write more of them.

So here I am.

I would be happy to find people to write to who love the written word. Likely, I'd exchange shorter letters at first that would progress to longer reads as time goes on. I should probably warn you all that I am new here and have just the one working fountain pen and one bottle of ink (for now). What I do possess is a collection of various nibs for dip pens that I'd love to use a bit more. I've even written with my technical pens. My handwriting varies depending on the pen that I use, but I find that to be part of the fun of it.

A bit about me. Is it redundant to say that I love pens and all types of paper on this forum? I am constantly trying new things. I stopped enumerating my interests in my profile - there are far too many. Learning new things is always a source of great joy to me. I am in my thirties and married, and I still approach new things with the zeal of a child. My primary interests involve art and writing. I paint in various media, I've taken a lot of calligraphy classes (a warning, this might not translate directly to my handwriting) and I like dabbling in writing. Currently, I'm writing something I can probably classify as "collaborative fiction" with a great group of writers. I keep journals and the latest one is a catch-all of everything that's going on with me. It starts out as a neat book and by the time I'm done, it gapes open with various bits spilling out of it. I wouldn't have it any other way. Next on my project list is to make my own hand bound journal.

As far as work goes, I used to be in I.T. until I went back to school to pursue art. I'm far happier now, at home working on art or writing. Luckily, I have a very supportive husband and since we don't have children yet, I have loads of time. Only some of it is taken up by the first feline I have ever owned. She keeps me company and regularly attempts to chew my writing implement.

What else? I live in Illinois. I read a lot of fiction and balance it with art books. In the background, there is always music. Tea and music and penning a letter - I can't think of a better way to spend an afternoon. The rest of it I'll save, hopefully for someone interested in corresponding. If so, please send me a PM. Sending mail overseas is never a problem, nor is age or gender. I'm looking for someone to exchange interesting letters with. My friend nudged me back into letter writing by sending me wondrous letters. He paints landscapes with words. I'd like to try to write more letters like that.

I'm looking forward to this!

The appropriate amount of pens to own is (n + 1), n being the number of pens you own currently.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Does anyone know any Esperantists who are interested in snailing?

"Who speaks to the instincts speaks to the deepest in mankind and finds the readiest response."-- Amos Bronson Alcott

I'm a relative newcomer to fountain pens, having bought a Parker 45 about two years ago, and received a Waterman Harmonie last year as a gift. I own only one type of ink so far (Aurora black). I love the feel of fine paper, and thoroughly enjoy sending and receiving letters. I recently purchased some sealing wax, and was thrilled to hear a friend describe his joy at receiving a wax-sealed envelope for the first time (and his anguish at opening what he described as a "beautiful" package).

As far as interests go, my username is pretty descriptive. Other than fountain pens, I'm into hiking, photography, travel, cooking, music (especially new age, jazz and classical), beermaking, single malt scotch, fixing things that are broken, current events, and simply being amazed at my 13-month-old son. I have dabbled in writing over the years, which means I'm not a writer. Still, I like to write poetry and short stories when I feel inspired. I'm reading a book of Neruda's poetry right now, so that may explain why I haven't written any in some time. If I keep reading it, I may never write again. I'd like to start journaling, but keep putting it off. Perhaps I should examine potential reasons.

I'm a psychologist by training, having earned a Ph.D. in Experimental Psychology. My expertise is in research, not therapy. I didn't study therapy a single day in grad school, and am not a counselor or clinical psychologist. I work for a large national magazine in New York City, and live with my wife and son in Connecticut.

I'm interested in corresponding with others who have eclectic tastes and interests. I can't say how quickly I'll reply to letters, as I've never had a penpal, but I promise to work at it. I can say that I'd like to use the opportunity to enjoy the sheer pleasure of words and the feel of a fountain pen on fine paper. If someone else can enjoy it, all the better.

Send me a PM if you'd like to write.

Mitch

Would be happy to take on some more snail mail, anyone interested PM me :) :thumbup:

Kind regards

NIGEL

Bump

NIGEL

Exploding Ink Maestro

Pens: Caran d'Ache Leman Godron, Lamy Safari, Italix Parsons Essential, Mont Blanc LeGrande '90 years' Edition, Sigma Style, Italix Vipers Strike, Parker Sonnet, Omas 360, Parker Duofold (c.1950), Conway Stewart #286, Conway Stewart #24, Onoto Magna Classic in Chased Midnight Blue and SS Trim

Hi everyone. I am a 29 year old male from California. I work in the software company (800 employees) and have been there for the past 10 years. I am very interested in food, both cooking and dining. In fact, my main focus anytime I travel is to seek out the best eats in town. I am interested in photography, sneakers, fashion, design, and gadgets. Those are some of the regular things. Some of my more eclectic include watches, flashlights, and now pens, I suppose. I read mostly non-fiction but prefer fictional movies over documentaries. I contribute to a few sites including joshspear.com (trendspotting) and carryology.com (blog about bags, backpacks, luggage, wallets, etc). Occasionally I work with PR companies by reviewing/promoting products, equipment, artists/music.

I am also an active officer in my Rotaract Club which is a non-profit volunteer organization for people ages 18-30.

Please send me a message if you'd like to exchange letters.

David

I love to recieve snail mails! And to send them off too!

Im Josefin, a 25 year old girl from Sweden. I work part time at our Post terminal, where I sort the mail, rather then deliver it. And its kinda boring to be honest. But Im happy I got a job at all these days...

But there are lots of other fun things in my life. I have always liked pen and notebooks, but just recently gotten involved in FP's.

Im also interested in photography, books, and pc games. I read mostly fiction, love Stephen King, and horror at all.

Pm me if you want to exchange letters! It will be fun to write to someone outside Sweden! :)

I am down to exchange letters with anyone. Don't get upset if I take a little longer to reply. I travel often for my work, but I will get back to you. Anyone want to exchange letters, please let me know. I'm more than excited to do this. Learn of different areas, meet new people, get handwriting practice, etc. Sounds like a blast to me.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

I would love to exchange letters with someone! I just bought some Clairefontaine stationary from Goulet pens and need to try it out. I live in Kansas City.

the pen is the window into the writer's soul

www.spinningtrees.webuda.com

Hi! This sounds like fun!

I am 48, married, two grown stepsons and one granddaughter who is not quite two. I am a voracious reader, love music (jazz, classical, 70s to present...pretty much about anything except country and opera). I love textile work (spinning, weaving, knitting) and spend waaaay too much time on computers. I have been involved in historical reenactment of the fur trade era since about 1990, and thus count among my more esoteric skills the ability to make lye soap and start a fire with flint and steel.

I am operations manager for a credit union - and this is certainly an interesting time to be in the financial services industry....!

Would love to hear from others. I have had fountain pens for years, but I don't have near the depth of knowledge that others have here. I do enjoy them very much though!

--Sheila M

EDIT: my Quaker parrot, Gandalf, is about to Bite Me Severely for not having mentioned him! That's him in my avatar pic.

Edited by SheilaM

"Expect a most agreeable letter, for not being overburdened with subject (having nothing at all to say), I shall have no check to my genius from beginning to end." --Jane Austen

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

My blog: Does This Pen Make Me Look Fat? Twitter: @penfatness Instagram: sheilamcl Pinterest: SheilaM

This sounds like a fun idea to me. I've never done anything like this before, but I suppose it'd be fun to give it a shot.

I'm almost 19 and am a freshman currently studying Chemical-/Bio- engineering. I love studying different religions and have a copy of al-Qur'an, the Dhammapada, some of the Upanishads, and a Bible. I'm currently reading a book about Kabbalah. I also really like languages. I'm in the process of trying to learn Esperanto. I started to awhile back, but I haven't used it in so long (I never had a chance to practice) that I forgot everything. I'm a cat person. I like cars (I drive a Subaru WRX)

I love music. I used to play the saxophone (sold it off, so I haven't played it in awhile), and I'm currently learning/playing the piano. I'm a bit of a health nut, and I dance (West Coast Swing).

Under Keirsey's Temperament Sorter, I'm the Fieldmarshal, but that doesn't even come close to fully describing me.

Let me know if you'd like to talk!

-Brian West

"Ideas do not have to be correct in order to be good; its only necessary that, if they do fail, they do so in an interesting way."

"I must create a system or be enslaved by another man's."

I'm Lewis, an electrical engineering/mathematics undergrad at James Cook University, Australia. We're situated just off the Great Barrier Reef, and in the middle of a nice patch of tropical rainforest, which means our newsagents stock some very nice postcards. ;)

I happen to live in a relatively bike-friendly city, so I ride my bike everywhere (including to the shops about 5km down the road.) It's a very nice 80's style bike with a simple steel frame and skinny tires - sturdy enough to survive potholes, but plenty fast enough to race traffic (and win!) on the way out of uni. Ironically enough, it cost me $0 - my dad got about three bikes from the dump and cobbled them together into one good one. My 'luggage carrying' needs are met by a red shopping basket cabled-tied to the back - because duct tape, WD40 and cable ties are the solution to ANY engineering problem.

Anyone who writes me will, in addition to a return letter, recieve a small sampling of (empty) Australian candy wrappers for their amusement and comparison to local wares. (The smell of a Cherry Ripe wrapper will make you want a Cherry Ripe, even if you don't know what a Cherry Ripe is!)

- Li-aung "Lewis" Yip

Li-aung Yip (Lewis)

B.Eng. (Elec&Electronic) + B.Sc (Mathematics) James Cook University - MIEEE GradIEAust

http://lws.nfshost.com/pix/Laplace-Sig.pnghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I'm updating my original post, since a good number of few things have changed. I would do a direct edit, but I seem to be unable to do that.

Since last year I have changed my major, due to the loss of my department, so a hybridized physical anthropology/applied biology/biophysics/psychophysics major so that I may focus on my research during undergrad and get a head start on graduate school. After I complete my BA, I will go on to get two doctoral degrees, one in physical anthropology and the other in applied biology. My research focus will be biophysical interactions with the environment and pathologies of biophysics and their repair.

The year after next I will be spending a year abroad studying in Germany, either in Munich, Berlin, or Leipzig, depending on the program I apply to. I would absolutely love to begin exchanging letters with people living in these areas, or really anywhere in Germany, either in English or German. I am moderately conversational in German, and would love to practice and build my vocabulary.

Of course, I would also love to exchange with anyone, and this year I should have plenty of time to actively respond to letters while at school.

Regards,

- Matthew

A welcome excuse excuse to play more with my pens :vbg:

I am an eternal student and aspiring writer, full-time dreamer yet fairly established in the corporate world, female, in my 30s. I like coincidences and controversies, and generally things that somehow don’t fit.

I’d love to correspond with someone who shares some of my interests; especially those that I don’t know as much about as I would have liked to, such as:

Portugal, mountaineering, classical music, bodies, Dante, spies, sailing, Spanish, biography, medicine, Polish, desert, jazz, Iraq, translation, Bruckner, tennis, pathology, environmentalism, history, Canada, taxonomy, Eastern philosophy, death, Greek, science, Tchaikovsky, films, Iran, architecture, Goethe, cabins, cooking.

Despite the mildly pretentious list, the correspondence doesn’t have to be particularly high-brow or limited to the above mentioned topics - basically anything apart from mechanics and dentistry would do :)

Oh, and I would be pleased to write in German, too.

Hi everyone. I'm thinking of acquiring a few penpals, preferably ones who write back. Haha. :) I am formally trained in the physical sciences, but would like to think that my curiosity encompasses more than that. Umm, like fountain pens and learning to write Spencerian script with dip pens. I love animals. Ehrmm, like cats---I think they're hilarious, and I love to tease them, not in a mean way, of course. (We have a neighborhood cat who is not mine but who thinks he lives with me and who is snoozing next to my keyboard as I write this. How did that happen?) Anyway, I'm a pretty open-minded person. I like to keep the correspondence on a light tone, at least in the beginning, and I also try to turn on my sense of humor while writing (that may or may not be a good thing for you). Don't worry about letter length. Whether or not you write about a topic I'm familiar with, chances are I will be interested enough to read it and think about it. I think there might be some more bits you can pick up about me in my profile, but reading a profile is no match to reading a letter.

Whew!

Edited by Enai

I keep coming back to my Esterbrooks.

"Things will be great when you're downtown."---Petula Clark

"I'll never fall in love again."---Dionne Warwick

"Why, oh tell me, why do people break up, oh then turn around and make up?

I just came to see, you'd never do that to me, would you baby?"---Tina Turner

:thumbup: Great idea! I would like to start writing again....

Some of my interests are:

nature

biology

arachnology

macro photography

boxers

Looking forward to a PM :vbg:

Fred