Snail Mail Writing List

Titivillus

I'll give it a whirl!

I'm 25y/o male living in the Southern United States, like reading, music and outdoor activities.

"I can't imagine a more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine."

Kurt Vonnegut

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Izzy

• GreenVelvet

• succubus

• YesIamnotiamnit

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Would like to take part in this too.

PM me for info

Kind regards

NIGEL

NIGEL

Exploding Ink Maestro

Pens: Caran d'Ache Leman Godron, Lamy Safari, Italix Parsons Essential, Mont Blanc LeGrande '90 years' Edition, Sigma Style, Italix Vipers Strike, Parker Sonnet, Omas 360, Parker Duofold (c.1950), Conway Stewart #286, Conway Stewart #24, Onoto Magna Classic in Chased Midnight Blue and SS Trim

Are you from Italy or the UK?

I feel strangely connected to these places and would love to pen with old souls from these far away lands.

ABOUT ME:

I currently live in California. My parents are from Italy. I was born in Toronto Canada.

Don't hold it against me: I used to be an attorney. I jumped that ship a few years ago to start my own business. I love what I do and I have a true appreciation for life.

My philosophies include seeing tough times as opportunities to grow character, that the universe unfolds as it should, and to never say "never" (as cliche as it sounds, I live it daily).

I am simple at heart; a true romantic. I am in relationship.

I cook like a madwoman - it's in the blood (I could never date a vampire as I eat too much garlic).

The old traditions in life are things I like to preserve, whether its great family recipes or writing traditional letters with wax seals.

I tend to have more sympathy for animals than humans - we seem to impose on them enough to warrant it.

Unfortunately (maybe), I dislike politics and anything that glorifies conflict for power. Call me crazy, I just feel it's a waste of good life.

My favorite book is Power vs. Force. My favorite chick flick is Under the Tuscan Sun; my favorite fantasy movies include (all) Lord of the Rings, (all) Harry Potter, and Pan's Labyrinth. My favorite foreign film: Il Postino.

I love and appreciate music and art.

If this brief and very microscopic description intrigues you, let me know about yourself. As mentioned in the very beginning, I would love to connect with people overseas.

Thanks in advance for reading - I look forward to seeing if there are any snail mail matches for me.

LMD

The Universe unfolds as it should.

Are you from Italy or the UK?

I feel strangely connected to these places and would love to pen with old souls from these far away lands.

ABOUT ME:

I currently live in California. My parents are from Italy. I was born in Toronto Canada.

Don't hold it against me: I used to be an attorney. I jumped that ship a few years ago to start my own business. I love what I do and I have a true appreciation for life.

My philosophies include seeing tough times as opportunities to grow character, that the universe unfolds as it should, and to never say "never" (as cliche as it sounds, I live it daily).

I am simple at heart; a true romantic. I am in relationship.

I cook like a madwoman - it's in the blood (I could never date a vampire as I eat too much garlic).

The old traditions in life are things I like to preserve, whether its great family recipes or writing traditional letters with wax seals.

I tend to have more sympathy for animals than humans - we seem to impose on them enough to warrant it.

Unfortunately (maybe), I dislike politics and anything that glorifies conflict for power. Call me crazy, I just feel it's a waste of good life.

My favorite book is Power vs. Force. My favorite chick flick is Under the Tuscan Sun; my favorite fantasy movies include (all) Lord of the Rings, (all) Harry Potter, and Pan's Labyrinth. My favorite foreign film: Il Postino.

I love and appreciate music and art.

If this brief and very microscopic description intrigues you, let me know about yourself. As mentioned in the very beginning, I would love to connect with people overseas.

Thanks in advance for reading - I look forward to seeing if there are any snail mail matches for me.

LMD

I am in. My bio is on myspace www.myspace.com/ad4vs .

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I would be interested too. I am retired and have lots of time to correspond :rolleyes:

You can find info in my profile here.

• 3 weeks later...

I have room for a few more Snailies if there is anybody still looking.

My name is Richard: 54 years old, married, no kids.

I like pens and ink and paper;

writing, reading, watches,

music, literature, pets.

PM me if you would like to exchange snail mail.

Since I do almost all of my banking/money stuff on-line I don't even get bills in the mail! It's all junk mail and advertisements. :crybaby:

I've never had a pen-pal before, so I thought this would be worth trying! It sounds like it would be nice to have someone other than myself to write to. Hm...I'm a 20 year old college graduate (my crowning achievement so far!). I have a BS in psychology, though I haven't been doing anything actually related to psychology. I just moved back to the U.S. after living in northern England for two years. I haven't found a new job yet, but I'm still trying very hard.

I really enjoy reading, watching movies, cooking, traveling, and making things. I read mostly science fiction/fantasy, though I do venture into other genres sometimes. My absolute favorite author is Terry Pratchett (I liked him even before I moved to England!), though I also like H.P. Lovecraft, Tolkien, and Terry Brooks. I like working with my hands, though not in the manual labor kind of way. I make chainmail jewelry, cross-stitch, crochet, make rugs, and pretty much anything else that catches my interest at the time.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I would love to strike up a snail exchange with someone... As for me, I am (obviously) quite smitten with pens. On the vintage front, I've got several hundred pens and have a keen interest in early and obscure (mostly Midwestern) makers. I also have an ever growing number of modern pens and a burgeoning ink collection and have just begun to explore various papers. As for interests outside of pens, I am a pure mathematician (geometry and topology) and have pursued endurance athletics my entire adult life (currently a road cyclist). I love the writing of Thoreau and I love drinking high quality craft beers. I am pretty passionate about the outdoors, enjoying backpacking and backcountry skiing. Of course shared interests are not the most important factor in snailing, but this laundry list probably gives some sort of indicator of who I am. If anything piques your interest, I would be truely happy to exchange some letters (I'm thinking of exploring dip pens and india inks, so I hope that someone will give me a reason to try this new direction).

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Since I've gone nearly a full week without getting ANY letters, I am entering withdrawal...

Nerve-wracking, isn't it? The holiday mail has everything delayed.

"Life is too short, or too long, to allow myself the luxury of living it badly."

Eleven Minutes by Paulo Coelho

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.pnghttp://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Since I've gone nearly a full week without getting ANY letters, I am entering withdrawal...

Succubus & GreenVelvet: I've written to you both within the last two weeks -- have you gotten my letters? http://bestsmileys.com/writer/2.gif

Might be fun. Wonder if I can keep up.

Tyler Provick

29 yo Male

New baby, computer geek. Like writing, reading sci-fi, fantasy, classics and histories. Into painting miniatures, wargaming, boardgames and RPGs.

Succubus & GreenVelvet: I've written to you both within the last two weeks -- have you gotten my letters? http://bestsmileys.com/writer/2.gif

I got both of your letters yesterday :thumbup: responses going out today.

edit - clarity fail: I got letters from each of you yesterday ...

Edited by succubus

"Life is too short, or too long, to allow myself the luxury of living it badly."

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.pnghttp://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

I am also having weeks without letters, and would like more. I do, however, sometimes forget whose turn it is (the poster above me knows this well, and I may in fact be waiting for my own letter to be sent...hmm). Besides that, besides that, I'm the most incredible (in the denotative sense, I mean, the linguistic denotative, I think I mean) person you may meet. Maybe not.

I'll take all comers (not so much in the Llewelyn Moss sorta way).

ARRRGH - is THAT what it is? I don't Christmas meself, and I tend to forget how much it hijacks everything surrounding it. *sigh*

YES, thanks - yours was the last one I received before the dry-up! My response headed out to you on Monday. :thumbup: Hooray! (And I love your little writing emoticon.)

Finally I got another one today, but I'll have to wait 'til tomorrow to write. Alas, I've had no pen time for the last two days and I'm going a little wonky... :unsure:

Many of you are loyal correspondents - I love all your letters!

I am also having weeks without letters, and would like more. I do, however, sometimes forget whose turn it is (the poster above me knows this well, and I may in fact be waiting for my own letter to be sent...hmm).

No, no. Yours went out yesterday too.

Newbies seeking correspondents - this flurry of messages might give you a hint as to some of the people who write frequently. :thumbup:

I take it some people have something against electrons the way they send them bouncing "willy-nilly" crashing into each other with no regard for their personal feelings. When once you send a letter, the paper feels as comforted in the envelope as it would in the womb. Plus, it gets the feeling that is it somehow special because someone took all the time and effort to fill a fountain pen with ink and write an actual letter upon it's surface, not a message of great importance, necessarily. Possibly one of great joy to a young love, or that lovers long separated will soon be united, or maybe, sadly, the marking of the passing of a loved one, which is sure to bring sorrow to the recipient of such a missive. Or possibly, just a "Hello, how you doing?"

In any case, it knows someone was caring enough that they took a little bit of extra time to write with pen and paper, even if a seemingly unimportant note, rather than simply send a cold, impersonal, uncaring, unfeeling, soon to deleted e-mail, never to be remembered again. Plus, unlike cold, impersonal e-mail, It seldom interrupts one who is trying to do actual research by begging for attention.

A handwritten letter will lie there in it's quiet dignity until the addressee comes to pick it up at the proper moment of the time for reading messages. Some understand. Others, unfortunately, never will.

Editted to add: If interested, pleas read bio/profile area. Send pm. Thank you.

Edited by YesIamnotiamnit

He who says he knows but does not act does not yet know.
~ Wang Yangming

When I grow up I want to be just like Calvin.

~ Me

I take it some people have something against electrons the way they send them bouncing "willy-nilly" crashing into each other with no regard for their personal feelings...

Another FPN member wrote that "while no trees were felled to send this message, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced."

Ray

Atlanta, Georgia

Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point with Richard Binder ItaliFine 0.9mm/F Nib

Faber Castell's Porsche Design with Gold & Stainless Mesh in Binderized CI Broad nib

Visconti LE Divina Proporzione in Gold with Binderized CI nib

David Oscarson Valhalla in gray (Thor) with Broad Binderized CI nib

Michel Perchin LE Blue Serpent (reviewed) with Binderized CI nib

Montblanc 149 in Medium Binderized CI nib

Montblanc Pope Julius II 888 Edition (reviewed) in Bold Binderized CI nib

Since I do almost all of my banking/money stuff on-line I don't even get bills in the mail! It's all junk mail and advertisements. :crybaby:

You think that's rough? Owing to a fairly recent change of address, I don't even get junk mail!!! And so starts a variation on a Monty Python sketch......

I'm deffo in on this. Will be PMing some people later today (after some coffee). For now, here's my bio in case anyone's interested in snailing me.....

24 yr old Female in Liverpool, UK.

Had a couple of fountain pens for a few years, but only became a collector (read as: have an interest in them beyond merely picking out one at random in a shop then using it, cursing the ones that don't "work" and worshipping the ones that "work") since joining FPN, so I'm learning tons and look forward to being further corrupted via post.

Studied Philosophy, Politics and Economics (focus on the first two!), then worked in UK politics, but I've always been a musician at heart. I have played guitar since I was a kid, and build/modify electric guitars for fun/tonal obsession. I generally like something from all genres of music (sounds trite, but its true), but am more acquainted with 20th century music than cpre-20th (although that is slowly changing). Music is what I currently do. A career in politics lost its charm once I realised that I never want to be a politician, and us lackeys get paid pennies.

Aside from the above, I generally have an interest in everything in life, with a bent towards the creative stuff. If not creative, then amusing will usually suffice.

Into sports.......lifelong Liverpool F.C. fan, and weirdly into baseball (for a brit, that is pretty weird). I also always wanted to learn other languages, especially French and Italian. One day, I might actually get around to doing this.

Terribly wicked sense of humour around those who know me well; terribly polite around those who don't.

Oh, and I quite possibly possess the coolest surname in the entire history of the world. Ever. But you'll have to write me to find out what it is (no, it isn't Carlsberg....).

Edited by Scrybe

What an Oxford tutor does is to get a little group of students together and smoke at them. Men who have been systematically smoked at for four years turn into ripe scholars... A well-smoked man speaks and writes English with a grace that can be acquired in no other way.

I'm renewing my post here too, as I love to receive letters.

Check my profile and PM me if interested.

Leonie

@leoniethomas18