Twsbi Next Pen "economic Model" 2012/10/04

speedy

To bulid on the Neo theme, Twsbi Neo 100, or simply the Tswbi 100. Number series like on Bmws and Mercedes are a clear way to distinguish model lines and you don't want to alienate more sophisticated pen enthusiasts by giving it a name with too strong of a connotation that it is only for beginners, unless your goal is to sell fewer pens

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• speedy

• gks

• ddustinn

• Seele

Top Posters In This Topic

I would prefer the piston knob not look like a hex key, but otherwise if the plastic proves durable it seems like a winner. I also sort of wish TWSBI would take a cue from Noodler's and make the piston seals of easily-replaced O-rings, but that's a minor quibble if the pen holds up well. I like the suggestion of Quartz as a name. Seems perfectly suited to the market placement and design of the product, and gets a very good scrabble score without being too esoteric.

Robert.

I would prefer the piston knob not look like a hex key, but otherwise if the plastic proves durable it seems like a winner. I also sort of wish TWSBI would take a cue from Noodler's and make the piston seals of easily-replaced O-rings, but that's a minor quibble if the pen holds up well. I like the suggestion of Quartz as a name. Seems perfectly suited to the market placement and design of the product, and gets a very good scrabble score without being too esoteric.

That was my exact thought in suggesting the Quartz name. The initial design reminded me of the Diamond and one might say is an economy model inspired by the Diamond, so, in going for a lower price bracket, I thought Quartz or Zircon would be an appropriate name as it suggests the pen's lineage, target and inspiration. With that thought in mind, even Diamante might be a good name for it, though I always thought that would be a good name for the upcoming Mini. Carbon is an excellent idea, though to me, it doesn't conjure an image of a transparent, jewel-like pen... if this was a solid black or gunmetal aluminum pen, Carbon would seem more appropriate.

I've got to say, I think that I like the initial design better than the 2nd revision and I don't feel that for the right high school or college student that would be considering a fountain pen that the first design is all that inappropriate. Granted that it might be a bit much for say elementary or middle school, but I imagined that this particular pen, from looking at the first design, would appeal to a student in later education or even an adult wanting a start in fountain pens but wanting to start with something more economical. With features that are not often found on a pen in this price bracket, if a newcomer was to pick up this pen and it performs at or near the level of the Diamond, this pen could definitely promote a positive first experience with FPs and perhaps drive the first time customer back to the TWSBI brand for their next purchase.

As an aside, on my first real FP purchase, I went in to the store considering a LAMY AL-Star and walked out with a Diamond. For some, the piston fill may seem odd or intimidating, but once the clerk demonstrated it, it didn't seem any harder than using a converter. If I hadn't had the extra twenty or so dollars, I may have left with the AL-Star. In cases where someone else walks into a store in my position and doesn't have the extra money, a pen like this could be the thing that makes sure that the new customer walks out with a TWISBI over say, a LAMY.

Edited by paultyler_82

<em class='bbc'>I started nowhere, ended up back there. I caught a fever and it burned up my blood. It was a pity, I left the city; I did me some travelin' but it's done me no good.</em> - Buffalo Clover "The Ruse"

I'd love to have the chance to buy a cheaper TWSBI - I keep looking at the Vac and 540 but they are just a bit too expensive... I've only spent over £50 on one pen, a Lamy 2000 (twice!) which is an absolute classic.

The translucent material looks lovely (can you do that effect in other colours too? I've love it in soft pink or pale blue) and the pen has only one fault, as far as I can see, which is the rather steep step down to the section which I think I'd find uncomfortable (it's one of the reasons I love Lamy and have never bought a Faber Castell - FC have those steep steps on nearly all their pens). Sort that out and I'd definitely consider one.

I hope you'll be doing the full range of nibs with the pen? Stub! please!

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

I think every company should make their piston seals easily replaced - less shipping cost and repair work for the company and more convenience for the customer. This makes a lot of sense for TWSBI since they seem so committed to customer service.

"While you are proclaiming peace with your lips, be careful to have it even more fully in your heart."

- St. Francis of Assisi

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there."

-Miles Davis

I will gladly take your unwanted Noodler's pens. Don't throw them away.

Assume no affiliation.

]

I've got to say, I think that I like the initial design better than the 2nd revision and I don't feel that for the right high school or college student that would be considering a fountain pen that the first design is all that inappropriate. Granted that it might be a bit much for say elementary or middle school, but I imagined that this particular pen, from looking at the first design, would appeal to a student in later education or even an adult wanting a start in fountain pens but wanting to start with something more economical. With features that are not often found on a pen in this price bracket, if a newcomer was to pick up this pen and it performs at or near the level of the Diamond, this pen could definitely promote a positive first experience with FPs and perhaps drive the first time customer back to the TWSBI brand for their next purchase...

.... For some, the piston fill may seem odd or intimidating, but once the clerk demonstrated it, it didn't seem any harder than using a converter. If I hadn't had the extra twenty or so dollars, I may have left with the AL-Star. In cases where someone else walks into a store in my position and doesn't have the extra money, a pen like this could be the thing that makes sure that the new customer walks out with a TWISBI over say, a LAMY.

+1 Nicely put. My thoughts rexactly.

I'm quite excited about this pen. My only real disappointment is that it won't be available for well over a year lol

Ah, first world problems, right?

I like both designs, some of the perceived differences may just be that each mockup is a different color and opacity, Maybe showing both side by side in identical style of rendering would allow for more accurate judging of style.

If it is to postable, the cap needs to be able to seat low on the barrel, necessitating the smaller piston knob, as in the latest pictures.

I would agree that a larger section would be desirable, and eliminate the large step, though it doesn't look big enough to cause any actual problems in use as is. It would help if you would clarify what age student you are going after. If younger students, maybe the small section is appropriate. For reference, I am an adult with small hands, but find the 540 too skinny in the section to use for any length of time. I prefer something closer to .40" at the narrowest part.

If you really want to "set the world on fire", how about developing a large capacity converter that would have the same fit as the standard international cartridges, but then neck out to hold a lot more ink, or find another way to fill than the twist mechanism so that the ink holding portion could be longer, or both? A lot of people really like the Pilot Con70 because of the larger ink capacity, why not try to give them some competition? Ink holding capacity is the number one complaint against standard converters. Such a thing might not fit in all international CC pens, but it would in some, so there would be demand over and above a CC pen of your own, and there would be the option of using a cartridge in case of emergency. I do think that a pen capable of using cartridges might appeal to a broader range of students than a piston filler would, though I like the piston myself.

I also would like to see some opaque colors with ink window, which would also probably appeal to a broader market.

Dan

Edited by DanF

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

I like the crystal/quartz name suggestions. Stays within the branding well. This looks really promising! I like the possibility of white pen too. Exciting!

If you are going for a teen-age or college-age student market, posting would be a big win. I'm not one of the posting fetishists, but when you are in classes using a chair-desk to take notes, you may not have a good place to put the cap down. Putting it in a backpack or pocket just leads to possible problems/confusion; posting is the logical thing to do. I always used post-able pens as a student (mostly BIC Crystal ballpoint pens, as best I remember), and think it is a smart move to make this pen post-able if you are targeting the student market.

As a large person (6'1"/185cm tall adult male) I don't agree about the section size needing to be especially thick. If it is not thinner than a wooden pencil, I am good with it. If it is too thick, I am not happy with it.

I guess I use a proper grip; I've never found pens with stepped sections to be a problem, other than possibly being bad looking. Perhaps nowadays as handwriting is de-emphasized for more US students, more people have weird grips that would make that a problem.

TWSBI Parsimony

I agree with Lloyd. In keeping with Lex Parsimoniae, I prefer the revised design. Simple, straightforward, elegant. Nice work, Speedy!

JLT (J. L. Trasancos, Barneveld, NY)

"People with courage and character always seem sinister to the rest."

Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962)

When I was a student I used almost exclusively piston fillers, so there's no problem at all, the large ink capacity and the ability to see how much ink is left is a very appealing idea.

By the way, B2theBreach, the 540 is hardly the least costly piston filler, not even counting vintage ones or old stocks, they make less expensive ones in India. The least costly one is the Serwex 162, Kevin at FPR retails them at $5 each plus $2 P&P per order.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

I love the twist cap and hate buying pens with snap caps. Love the white color too. Love the hexagonal cap very much.

The Twisbi Jolie, for the translucent, coloured versions. The name has to be simple, neat, original, easy to retain and not too long. No fancy or dull words, because the target here are the young people.

Another thing that i would put on it is some kind of discrete gripping section, by making small indentations in the plastic- remember parker 75 and others.

Edited by rochester21

I like the premise behind the pen. Seeing the different iterations of the pen reassures me that when the final design is settled upon, it will be a good one. Unfortunately, i'm not much of a design guy, so I cannot explain why I like one or the other, but suffice to say, that both of the designs proposed have a theme that really fits a niche, and will turn heads.

As for a name. I found it very easy to think of one, as I recall how my 540 spurred my interest in fountain pens... the 'inception' seems a fitting title for the birth of a new passion :-) Stick whatever numerical series after it that wont confuse the 'punter' and you are on to a winner.

Good luck with the design process, and I applaud your openness and involvement of the pen geek community again in your current project.

I look forward to seeing how this pen will evolve.

Max

To bulid on the Neo theme, Twsbi Neo 100, or simply the Tswbi 100. Number series like on Bmws and Mercedes are a clear way to distinguish model lines and you don't want to alienate more sophisticated pen enthusiasts by giving it a name with too strong of a connotation that it is only for beginners, unless your goal is to sell fewer pens

Sounds good.

314??? Students would recognize that number, even adults....could play with how much ink it holds.

451 only plays in Fahrenheit. :happyberet:

Quartz is good, Zircon not because of being a fake diamond.

Crystal is no good, has a connotation of snorting stuff up the nose.

The many shades of Quartz, from white to clear and other colors too.

I'd stay away from 'targeting' school kids with 'cute' names or that Apprentice which is not much used in the US I'd guess. And who wants to be an apprentice? As said, it cuts the adult market.

I don't like neo. Deco neither. It's not Art Deco enough.

Ten years from now who's going to remember an already old movie like the Matrix.

Falcon is in use.

Peregrine (falcon) is not. Some might not know what it is.

Raven...a very smart bird. Crow is too common. Both connotate black.

Albatross?? for how much ink it holds.

Don't want names that are too girly/boyie.

Impala is a bit too stately.

Catamount is another name for a Puma or mountain lion. Jaguar is also a bit out.

Ocelot is too US new world orientated. Too small and girly.

Lynx???

Raccoon? 'clever'???? don't quite have the spiff, even if it is a spiffy animal. Plays with washing too much.

Dolphin, Sleek, intelligent, and no one hates dolphins.

I liked the first pen more, even though the second one was sharp.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.