Twsbi Next Pen "economic Model" 2012/10/04

speedy

I REALLY like the updated design! It looks functional, sleek, and classic. It has elements of some of my favourite pen designs: Lamy Safari, Faber-Castell Ondoro and Ambition. I also like the smoke barrel with the opaque cap and end knob though I'd prefer an opaque section too. It would be interesting to see one in orange/amber.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• speedy

• gks

• ddustinn

• Seele

Top Posters In This Topic

Related to the Name; since this is a Student pen, why not call it a Twsbi Prom, in dedication for when a student graduates with a a party at the end of the Sr. School year! thumbup.gif

This pretty much applies to the US only, most other countries I know of do not have that.

About the name, I wonder if "Academy" has been taken... :hmm1:

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

Speedy,

While the new revision gives a bit more functionality, IMHO the overall look makes it seem $5 cheaper than the original design.

Remember, this IS a digital mock-up of a pen that doesn't exist yet. It would look completely different in actual production.

"While you are proclaiming peace with your lips, be careful to have it even more fully in your heart."

- St. Francis of Assisi

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there."

-Miles Davis

I will gladly take your unwanted Noodler's pens. Don't throw them away.

Assume no affiliation.

I for one am not a big fan of the pen. I'll explain why, not because I don't like it, but because I have a lot a respect for what Speedy is doing.

If the pen is designed for beginners, I am not so sure that the piston is a "must be". As a student, c/c seems more convenient, and if a college student is aiming at a higher end, piston filler pen, there is the 540. A student FP can survive only if it's widley commissoned by schools where the use of a FP is still mandatory (or a very big market, obviously). but that's how Lamy and Pelikan makes most of their coney (and Caran d'Ache with their BP in Switzerland). I am not sure a school will ever commissoned a pitons filler: too messy.

My second comment is toward the step and the grip. I dont remember any beginner's pen or student's pen with such a step, mostly because, unless students are teached the tripod grip, it's very likely to be annoying, or even leading to small hurtings. This is esp. true since your grip is not shaped to encourage the tripod grip.

Finaly, I question the twist cap. I understand that most pen afficionaos do prefer twist caps, and this is great to give an option. But then again, in taking notes, it's pretty impotant to be able to use the pen readily, and there, the clic cap is a better bet IMHO. And bear n mind that it's unlikly that students interessted by such a pen will use it for years and years (I don't have my first, or second Pelikano). Clip cap are very nice mst of the time, and my old Maestro, after 20ish yeras, is just begining to be not so secure...

I hope you are not hurt by my comment. I just hope that a comment from "the other side of TWSBI" will help you leading your project to the end you aim for.

As for a name, the narcicist in me says: SPEEDY!!!

Some good points here, but I'm not sure I always agree. I think a student can handle a piston filler, especially a high school/secondary school/university student.

I also feel very strongly about having a twist cap. An inexperienced student may accidently pull a click cap off in a pocket, resulting in ink everywhere.

"While you are proclaiming peace with your lips, be careful to have it even more fully in your heart."

- St. Francis of Assisi

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there."

-Miles Davis

I will gladly take your unwanted Noodler's pens. Don't throw them away.

Assume no affiliation.

Remember, this IS a digital mock-up of a pen that doesn't exist yet. It would look completely different in actual production.

I am fully aware of that, but there are aspects which are apparent.

Comparing the original and the revised designs, there is a difference in the visual "flow". With the original design, allow your eye to follow the barrel away from the nib, there is a largely smooth flow towards the end and then a sharp, flat end neatly interrupts it; that's a good, modern and timeless approach.

With the revised design, there is a definite reduction of barrel diameter - which is even more obvious than the Parker Vector Flighter, for instance. There isn't an effective visual "stop", thus making it appear less neat, and less well-thought-out.

I would also prefer to have the bright metal rings reinstated, they serve as visual punctuation, so to speak.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

My two cents: I loved the first version, and the second version doesn't appeal to me at all.

I liked the metal trim, whereas the barrel o-ring is jarring and looks cheap. I think the now smaller piston knob takes the pen out of balance and makes the pen body seem too small. The small knob also looks like it would be uncomfortable to use.

On the other hand, I know a lot of people want a TWSBI that posts. Maybe your excellent designers could take another crack at it. I have a lot of pens that post with just a nice taper to the barrel, or more space inside the cap.

I actually like the new one better.

It looks different than the 540 and vac700. I think that's something that should be aimed for to some degree.

I also agree that opaque colors are needed. Give me a black (not transparent) pen, or a dark blue, or red, or something. Obviously an ink window would be needed, but while demonstrators are nice, I don't really want a dozen of them from the same manufacturer.

We're obviously on the wrong side of the equation here. You don't design pens for FPN, you design them for all users and a target market. But, that's just my thoughts.

I really like the idea of a cheaper TWSBI pen... as a student, I'd probably buy one the moment it comes out...

Maybe it's just me though, but I am not a huge fan of piston fillers. Maybe it's because I love extra fine nibs so I don't need as much ink capacity as the BBBB lovers out there.

Seems like it would be cheaper to make the pen a converter pen and just make sure it's easily converted to an eyedropper.

Like the early design though. Simple, but still has a TWSBI feel.

As far as naming goes, I would use a three digit number somewhere below 540 and 530 if it's going to be similar to those pens. Just for consistencies sake.

Yes, it would cut down on cost and if you can use cartridges it may appeal to kids who can't carry bottles of ink around. I know a pen filled from a bottle would not have been practice for me as at school my bag was constantly getting thrown around.

Also having a difference filling mechanism could be used to protect the value of the expensive pen as people would have to pay the premium for the piston filler.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

I love the pen, Speedy! This was the type of innovation and product sensibility that inspired me to interview TWSBI (http://penanddesign....g-of-twsbi.html), and has kept me waiting anxiously for the Mini

But Speedy, I have a concern: the metal band on the cap of the TWSBI pens seems to have nickel - which makes my hand rage with rash (I have a nickel allergy.) Is this a concern you plan to remedy with the release of the Mini, or this pen? Furthermore, can this pen post well? I figure that students and first-time FP users would appreciate a cap (as would I, among others.) I also have a name to suggest, though. How about the TWSBI Xie? The Write!

I'd love to have the metal parts on a TWSBI replaced with non-nickel parts, or to even be able to own a custom TWSBI without such additions. Either way though, as long as this pen is released in a demo and smoke demo, I think I'll be buying one. I look forward to hearing of its production timeframe.

Existing metal ring on grip zone of our fountain pens will be replaced by stainless steel in the future.

Thanks Speedy! Please do let us know when the change to stainless steel is finalized! I like the new design of the pen...except for the cap. Perhaps a circular cap, or bi-hexagonal (just like the Vac is bi-decagonal) would work better. I also agree eith others that it looks a bit cheaper than the first model...perhaps it is the smaller size of the barrel? Personally, I wouldn't mind a snap-off cap, as it would transform this pen into the ultimate everyday-carry FP :thumbup:

I am also very pleased that this will be a piston-filler! Perhaps a cartridge Xie (what I've dubbed the pen) can come later...potentially at a different price point and opaque plastic finish, but the idea of an inexpensive, high-quality, postable piston-filling demonstrator is just fantastic! I can't wait to see what TWSBI is up to next, and I'd be happy to write up an article for Pen&Design which puts together everything we know about the pen!

Visit Pen&Design!

@penanddesign

My thoughts,thus far--

I'm glad you are providing a pen for those who don't want to, or cannot spend much for them. For the uninitiated, $25.00 is easier to accept tha $50.00'

I recommend that you accommodate, but not specifically target students. Calling it a student pen could put off a large number of adults who just want a good, basic pen.

I would like to see it be a piston filler, but I underst and the concerns of students. At least design it to accommodate a converter if you don't incorporate a piston in the design. How much trouble would it be offer it in two alternative designs? You could call them 260 and 265, for instance.

I don't like the two-tone look of the second pen. I prefer the cap to match the barrel. Everyone may not feel the same, though.

Please offer it in something other than demonstrators. I prefer conservative colors, for office work, and I think you could offer it in brighter colors, also.

Will the nibs be easily interchangeable? That is one of the advantages of the Lamy Safari.

I think a pen in this category should be durable, like the Lamy is.

I agree with the comments about the step down from barrel to section.

Good luck

I liked the metal trim, whereas the barrel o-ring is jarring and looks cheap. I think the now smaller piston knob takes the pen out of balance and makes the pen body seem too small. The small knob also looks like it would be uncomfortable to use.

Reminds me of this a little and nobody said it looked cheap b/c of it...

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h89/fountainbel/Fountainbel%20Bulk%20filler/DSC_5610Kopie.jpg

Edited by watch_art

I love the pen, Speedy! This was the type of innovation and product sensibility that inspired me to interview TWSBI (http://penanddesign....g-of-twsbi.html), and has kept me waiting anxiously for the Mini

But Speedy, I have a concern: the metal band on the cap of the TWSBI pens seems to have nickel - which makes my hand rage with rash (I have a nickel allergy.) Is this a concern you plan to remedy with the release of the Mini, or this pen? Furthermore, can this pen post well? I figure that students and first-time FP users would appreciate a cap (as would I, among others.) I also have a name to suggest, though. How about the TWSBI Xie? The Write!

I'd love to have the metal parts on a TWSBI replaced with non-nickel parts, or to even be able to own a custom TWSBI without such additions. Either way though, as long as this pen is released in a demo and smoke demo, I think I'll be buying one. I look forward to hearing of its production timeframe.

Existing metal ring on grip zone of our fountain pens will be replaced by stainless steel in the future.

Thanks Speedy! Please do let us know when the change to stainless steel is finalized! I like the new design of the pen...except for the cap. Perhaps a circular cap, or bi-hexagonal (just like the Vac is bi-decagonal) would work better. I also agree eith others that it looks a bit cheaper than the first model...perhaps it is the smaller size of the barrel? Personally, I wouldn't mind a snap-off cap, as it would transform this pen into the ultimate everyday-carry FP :thumbup:

I am also very pleased that this will be a piston-filler! Perhaps a cartridge Xie (what I've dubbed the pen) can come later...potentially at a different price point and opaque plastic finish, but the idea of an inexpensive, high-quality, postable piston-filling demonstrator is just fantastic! I can't wait to see what TWSBI is up to next, and I'd be happy to write up an article for Pen&Design which puts together everything we know about the pen!

Would the average buyer know how to pronounce "Xie", or know what it means?

As a little test, I asked my friend (a Caucasian Australian with nary any knowledge of Chinese) and he pronounced it as "Zee". :lol: It made somewhat more sense to him when I said the "x" was comparable to to the "x" in "nexus" and the "ie" to the "ai" in "air". But I'd agree, the relevance of any Chinese name would be lost to the average buyer.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I love both designs to be honest, but the simpler the better.

"Do you know the legend about cicadas? They say they are the souls of poets who cannot keep quiet because, when they were alive, they never wrote the poems they wanted to."

As a little test, I asked my friend (a Caucasian Australian with nary any knowledge of Chinese) and he pronounced it as "Zee". :lol: It made somewhat more sense to him when I said the "x" was comparable to to the "x" in "nexus" and the "ie" to the "ai" in "air". But I'd agree, the relevance of any Chinese name would be lost to the average buyer.

Hmm...perhaps you have a point. I'm not a native Mandarin speaker myself, so I pronounced it as "see" or "excee".

Visit Pen&Design!

@penanddesign

Hmm...perhaps you have a point. I'm not a native Mandarin speaker myself, so I pronounced it as "see" or "excee".

It doesn't help that without diacritic marks, "xie" can mean anything ranging from "shoe" to "write". :lol: Although I'd like to hear an exchange between two people with one person asking if they'd like to bother the other's shoe!

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I pronounced it 'zee' as well ... :embarrassed_smile: :rolleyes: :roflmho:

Please make sure the cap is light when posting. The 540 is a great pen for the most part but the cap is way too heavy and makes the pen back heavy when posted. Thats why I use it so little. This new pen looks interesting. Not sure about the faceted surface.

"A man's maturity consists in having found again the seriousness one had as a child, at play."

Friedrich Nietzsche

kelsonbarber.wordpress.com