M1000 Nib Size Choice

brattpitt

I'm planning to buy a M1005 online but I can"t really decide if I should get one with a xf or f nib. I normally use f nibs on my pelikans because I don't like my nibs to be too scratchy or the lines too thick and the f nib seems to be the best trade off. However, I hear that the nibs on the M1000 series tends to write a lot wetter and a xf nib would be better at managing the flow. Which nib size would you guys recommend?

I can't test the pen thickness for myself as I am already planning to buy one from an online seller. I'd feel pretty bad about it if I asked to test a M1000 knowing I wasn't planning to buy it from their shop.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• brattpitt

• FPFan

• Shaporama

• printhardcopy

XF or EF is the way to go.

A good EF is not very scratchy.

Once you use more often, it will auto smooth it.

Edited by printhardcopy

WhatsApp me at +65 93682205 For Faster Reply

http://goo.gl/GAvll Classified Sales in FPN

http://stores.ebay.com/A-Pen-Hardcopy Ebay Store USA

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/A-Pen-Hardcopy Ebay Store UK

Old Sale Thread with Feedbacks From Customers.

Agree with PHC (who incidentally is who I bought my Pel m1000 from). I like fine nibs myself (.5-.6) and got one on a m1000 and it was way too wet and broad for me.

+ 1

PHC is very knowledgable about Pelikans!

Fair winds and following seas.

I normally use f nibs on my pelikans

I hear that the nibs on the M1000 series tends to write a lot wetter and a xf nib would be better at managing the flow.

You have other Pelikans, but are any of them M1000s? If you have never owned or tried an M1000, you would be well advised to try one in person before you buy it. The nibs are very different from the smaller Pelikan nibs, in that they have some springiness to them. NOT FLEX! Just a little bounce. If you are expecting the pen to be a bigger M800, you're in for a surprise.

No, noooo, noooooo! Don't get the skinny little thin nibs - GO BIG!!!. What's better than a BB or 3B, and to have it stubbed?

(M1000 BB nib ground by John Sorowka to a wonderfully smooth stub nib, using PR Spearmint ink):

fpn_1349201205__pelikan_m1000_sample_2.jpg

I'm just kidding, of course. Its just that I can't make the F and EF nibs work for me, so I gravitate toward wide ones. Congrats on the (soon to arrive) M1005, and good luck with your nib decision.

Like others, I have found the ink flow on M1000 nibs to be generous, but hey, its a big pen with a big nib, no surprise it pushes out a lot of ink. I recommend buying it from someone, like John Mottishaw or Richard Binder, who can adjust the ink flow at the time of purchase so you don't have the buyer's regret issues some have experienced with these wonderful pens.

Edited by dcpritch

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

For the same reasons you have mentioned, if I ever get a 1000 it will be an extra fine!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I swapped an F nib for an EF on my new M1005 and found the writing experience to be much more to my liking. However it was not until I picked up a bottle of the somewhat drier 4001 Pelikan ink that everything fell into place. I also agree with Opus, the 1005 is not merely a larger version of the M800. The nib has much more spring to it. Its also a very large pen and (in my medium-sized male hands), posting the cap upsets the pen's balance. I would strongly advise that you take one for a test drive if at all possible.

I can't test the pen thickness for myself as I am already planning to buy one from an online seller. I'd feel pretty bad about it if I asked to test a M1000 knowing I wasn't planning to buy it from their shop.

You know pen shops get an awful lot of people that go in and just do lookie Lou all the time. If you have a pen store close to you, I would say you would be doing yourself a favor by going and trying it on at least one time. For the cost of the pen you would be remiss if you didn't. They are truly very different animals from th smaller pens. And the nibs sometimes can seem so totally different. Or be sure you buy from a reputable dealer who will do nib exchanges for you until you are completely satisfied with the pen. If you are in the US, I'd highly recommend John Motishaw at nibs.com (no affiliation) cause he will make your nib wishes come true.

But nib exchanges can get tricky/complicated with back and forth shipping costs and time consuming when all you really want to do is write with it, NOW!

YMMV

I have an EF nib on my M1000 which I would like th have re=ground to an XXF because the EF is wet enough to leave too broad of a line.

Ken

I have an EF nib on my M1000 which I would like th have re=ground to an XXF because the EF is wet enough to leave too broad of a line.

Ken

Have you tried using Pelikan 4001 inks? They are definitely drier.

thanks phc! appreciate the info.

I normally use f nibs on my pelikans

I hear that the nibs on the M1000 series tends to write a lot wetter and a xf nib would be better at managing the flow.

You have other Pelikans, but are any of them M1000s? If you have never owned or tried an M1000, you would be well advised to try one in person before you buy it. The nibs are very different from the smaller Pelikan nibs, in that they have some springiness to them. NOT FLEX! Just a little bounce. If you are expecting the pen to be a bigger M800, you're in for a surprise.

I've never had a M1000. A friend lent me his M1000 at a pen meet and I was hopelessly hooked. Hence the current fascination with the M1000. It's like an itch that's juusssttt out of reach. Heh. But before taking the plunge I figured it would be best to find out more from the more experienced users here. I wouldn't want to buy one and find out that the xf nib that my friend had was a unique one.

No, noooo, noooooo! Don't get the skinny little thin nibs - GO BIG!!!. What's better than a BB or 3B, and to have it stubbed?

(M1000 BB nib ground by John Sorowka to a wonderfully smooth stub nib, using PR Spearmint ink):

fpn_1349201205__pelikan_m1000_sample_2.jpg

I'm just kidding, of course. Its just that I can't make the F and EF nibs work for me, so I gravitate toward wide ones. Congrats on the (soon to arrive) M1005, and good luck with your nib decision.

Like others, I have found the ink flow on M1000 nibs to be generous, but hey, its a big pen with a big nib, no surprise it pushes out a lot of ink. I recommend buying it from someone, like John Mottishaw or Richard Binder, who can adjust the ink flow at the time of purchase so you don't have the buyer's regret issues some have experienced with these wonderful pens.

Haha. Thanks. Hopefully i'll be able to post some pics up. Would have loved to use the larger nibs but they just don't agree with my handwriting. With a nib the size of the M1000? It'd be like spraying ink everywhere.

You know pen shops get an awful lot of people that go in and just do lookie Lou all the time. If you have a pen store close to you, I would say you would be doing yourself a favor by going and trying it on at least one time. For the cost of the pen you would be remiss if you didn't. They are truly very different animals from th smaller pens. And the nibs sometimes can seem so totally different. Or be sure you buy from a reputable dealer who will do nib exchanges for you until you are completely satisfied with the pen. If you are in the US, I'd highly recommend John Motishaw at nibs.com (no affiliation) cause he will make your nib wishes come true.

But nib exchanges can get tricky/complicated with back and forth shipping costs and time consuming when all you really want to do is write with it, NOW!

YMMV

Haha, yeah. I managed to find a pen club member who had a M1000 nib to try. Now I can't wait to get one... And to think i just bought my M800 and M625 only recently. Sigh.

Thanks for all the friendly advice and recommendations. Its been a blast reading all your messages. Hopefully i'll be able to post up pics of my new pen soon. Can't wait really.

*rubs hands together in glee*

Thanks for all the friendly advice and recommendations. Its been a blast reading all your messages. Hopefully i'll be able to post up pics of my new pen soon. Can't wait really.

If you are thinking of unloading your M800 please let me know!

SOooooo, which nib did you order? ? ?

If you are thinking of unloading your M800 please let me know!

Not anytime soon i"m afraid. I got the M800 BoB and its beautiful. Wouldn't dream of parting with it right now. Who knows what might happen in the future though.

SOooooo, which nib did you order? ? ?

I got the xf nib like everyone recommended. *keeps fingers crossed*

• 2 months later...

f or m are the best allrounders one can get for everyday writing

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time