Skrip Peacock Blue

amberleadavis

So, I was reading a thread about the first bottle of ink you had ever purchased and I saw lots of comments about Skrip Peacock Blue. I admit, I love the color. So, where did you find it? Do you still use it? Why did you buy it? Tell us.....

I found the color when in college and have hoarded the ink. I recently found my bottle again (yes, in the caboose). How about you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mrcharlie

• amberleadavis

• ac12

• sotto2

I resemble that remark ; )

I vividly recall sitting cross-legged on the floor, facing the tv and my foot-stool work surface, using the Sheaffer Snorkle my mother passed along to me, to make bubbles in the Skrip Peacock Blue ink. I don't recall if this color was permitted in Detroit schools when I was old enough to attend, but I do think the color might be, at least partially, credited with engaging me in learning to write.

Finding my way back to fountain pens I secured some bottles of pre-Slovenian Peacock Blue with the inkwell feature. I don't recall where.

Though I don't bring PB out frequently to use, it remains a pleasant reconnect to the past.

I bought a half bottle of Skrip Peacock Blue at a flea market. I liked it a lot. Then I found out it had been discontinued. Drat factorial. A year or so later, I found a bottle in an art supply store. The owner said he had more. I bought up his entire stock. No more worries now; I have my SABLE of Skrip Peacock Blue.

It fades quickly and is not even water resistant, but hey, for throw away stuff like letters and birthday cards, it is great. It is also good for cleaning out a pen's partially obstructed feed. Just fill the pen and write with it a little every day and the feedersclerosis will eventually dissolve.

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

I bought a half bottle of Skrip Peacock Blue at a flea market. I liked it a lot. Then I found out it had been discontinued. Drat factorial. A year or so later, I found a bottle in an art supply store. The owner said he had more. I bought up his entire stock. No more worries now; I have my SABLE of Skrip Peacock Blue.

It fades quickly and is not even water resistant, but hey, for throw away stuff like letters and birthday cards, it is great. It is also good for cleaning out a pen's partially obstructed feed. Just fill the pen and write with it a little every day and the feedersclerosis will eventually dissolve.

Hey -- love that term "drat factorial"! Can I steal it? It about describes how I felt on losing my red Konrad over the weekend....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Hey -- love that term "drat factorial"! Can I steal it? It about describes how I felt on losing my red Konrad over the weekend....

sorrybawl.gif

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Cartridges of it in a No Nonsense thanks to Mrs Breslin's 5th grade class. :thumbup: We were allowed to use any color ink we wanted in our fountain pens [bought at the local independent 5 and dime]. She was determined to teach us penmanship if it killed her. We all wrote copious reports, essays and line after line of loopy cursive in Peacock Blue, Emerald Green and I can't remember the red color as it was always sold out. :crybaby:

I recall it was the most popular color for girls when I was in the fifth and sixth grade. The big thrill was getting a valentine signed in Peacock Blue, as you knew it was special. I loved the color then, and still do, but back then no guy would be caught dead using it as it was considered a color only for girls.

Edited by MKeith

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

I got this Rubinato Turchese in Germany this summer -- note what I say about it's similarity to SPB! When I was a girl, mothers wrote their correspondence in SPB. HP

The sky IS falling. C. Little

My go to ink (cartridges) in Jr. High with my No Nonsense and Sheaffer School pens. All my notes were taken with it including the mandatory math notes that had to be turned in at the end of each quarter. Hated that math teacher, but looking back on it, he was probably the best math teacher I ever had.

Soli Deo Gloria

Shameless plug - Some of my amateur photography.

Be my guest, Ruth. I swiped it from a mathematician who also happens to be my brother.

Condolences over losing the Konrad. No matter how many pens you have, losing one leaves a hole in the world.

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

I started using Skrip Peacock Blue in 2nd or 3rd grade (1959ish) and have used it off and on since. My first pen was a Scripto school pen. I have a couple three bottles of the old stuff in the blue and yellow box, as well as a stash of the stuff in red box and cartridges of the red box vintage.

Ken

My sinister (left-handed) father has only bad memories of being taught handwriting in school; they tried to make him write right-handed at first, etc.

But he at least smiles a little when he says his favorite ink to use was Skrip Peacock Blue.

Kind of neat how vivid our memories are about this specific color and ink.

Loved buying new supplies for school, a new Sheaffer, always had to have the clear one and peacock blue carts. Luckily none of my teachers said that we could not use it.

I also remember some kind of ink eraser, smelled like bleach and did a nice job of erasing the ink, no problem writing over the same spot when it dried. Just thought of this.

Sheaffer Targa - Parker Penman Sapphire----- Luoshi - Silk Road Green

Twsbi - Noodler's North African Violet-----Lamy Vista - Noodler's Marine Green

WTB Lamy Terracotta and Savannah, Sweden LE, Japan LE

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd273/BrownEyedGirl248/Avatars/InkDrop.jpgMember since 1-28-11

I first used Peacock Blue in late elementary school or junior high, which would be late 1950's. About two years ago I scored an unopened case of it from eBay, twelve blue-and-yellow boxes. I took it to the next Seattle Pen Club meeting and sold half of them at my cost, I still have the other half. I had already found four other bottles, of which I've used one and am working on the second. Wonderful ink! Now if only it were at least somewhat water resistant. :)

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

I've never used peacock blue, however an older minister we knew used it exclusively, so you could see an envelope across the room and know the letter was from him (remember letters?). He used FPs long after they fell out of common use so he was the only person we knew who used it then.

When I started using an FP last spring, my first bottle of ink was Waterman's South Sea Blue because it reminded me of the ink he used and I bought it in memory of him. At the time I didn't know the ink he used was called Peacock Blue.

Interestingly, I'll show it to someone now, 35 years later, and ask what it reminds them of? Invariably, they will say something like, "That's Arnold's ink! Where did you find it?". As Amberleadavis said, it's fascinating, what will invoke memories.

Edited by N2theBreach

I've never used peacock blue, however an older minister we knew used it exclusively, so you could see an envelope across the room and know the letter was from him (remember letters?). He used FPs long after they fell out of common use so he was the only person we knew who used it then.

When I started using an FP last spring, my first bottle of ink was Waterman's South Sea Blue because it reminded me of the ink he used and I bought it in memory of him. At the time I didn't know the ink he used was called Peacock Blue.

Interestingly, I'll show it to someone now, 35 years later, and ask what it reminds them of? Invariably, they will say something like, "That's Arnold's ink! Where did you find it?". As Amberleadavis said, it's fascinating, what will invoke memories.

Thank you for the story.

We all wrote copious reports, essays and line after line of loopy cursive in Peacock Blue, Emerald Green and I can't remember the red color as it was always sold out. :crybaby:

Are you thinking of the Persian Rose? I, too, grew up using these colors -- and the purple and the brown. The black seemed kind of 'ordinary', but the colors were wonderful!

Like so many others, I used it in cartridges in a succession of NoNonsense pens at school - started secondary school in the late 70s. If I wasn't using Peacock Blue, it was one of the other non-boring colours - brown, lilac, grey - but more often than not Peacock Blue won the day.