How Do You Display Your Inks?

amberleadavis

Here are the updated potions cabinets. I haven't put all the bottles away yet, and I now have empty spots where I have given ink away.

large.PXL_20220303_005850718.jpg.a915ec0e0e0145c9f8b7fc8e9eb0004a.jpglarge.PXL_20220303_005833967.jpg.9673c90ed09f93f1695873c27e8daf8d.jpglarge.PXL_20220303_005842678.jpg.401ebf10a30ca881173366c27037a028.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Fuzzy_Bear

• lgsoltek

• HalloweenHJB

That's a beautiful display!  I keep my inks in drawers, because I literally don't like letting them see the light of day!  I generally organize them by brand first, and then color, then put a little sticker on the outside of the top of the box with a swab of the ink color on it so I can see instantly what I'm pulling out.

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

I only have 90 or so inks, 75 or so in bottles.

I used to keep my ink bottles mostly by company under the canopy of my pewter topped beer mugs, but the wife wanted 'ortnung', so now my inks are hidden in various boxes, some nifty looking.  like the ones at the bottom of my beer mug cabinet.

So actually I HAVE NO INKS ON DISPLAY.

I do have three inks out, but it's because I'm too lazy to put them in their boxes.QAfbGPr.jpg

The rest of my inks are in two  'odd' boxes  that do better for taller ink bottles, I had laying around with junk in them that in the end I didn't need.

Those, I have no clear picture of those two boxes. In there was no need; nor any interest I could imagine.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

6 hours ago, Enkida said:

That's a beautiful display!  I keep my inks in drawers, because I literally don't like letting them see the light of day!  I generally organize them by brand first, and then color, then put a little sticker on the outside of the top of the box with a swab of the ink color on it so I can see instantly what I'm pulling out.

I like having the swab of color.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

2 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

I only have 90 or so inks, 75 or so in bottles.

I used to keep my ink bottles mostly by company under the canopy of my pewter topped beer mugs, but the wife wanted 'ortnung', so now my inks are hidden in various boxes, some nifty looking.  like the ones at the bottom of my beer mug cabinet.

So actually I HAVE NO INKS ON DISPLAY.

I do have three inks out, but it's because I'm too lazy to put them in their boxes.QAfbGPr.jpg

The rest of my inks are in two  'odd' boxes  that do better for taller ink bottles, I had laying around with junk in them that in the end I didn't need.

Those, I have no clear picture of those two boxes. In there was no need; nor any interest I could imagine.

I like the steins.

22 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

Here are the updated potions cabinets. I haven't put all the bottles away yet, and I now have empty spots where I have given ink away.

large.PXL_20220303_005850718.jpg.a915ec0e0e0145c9f8b7fc8e9eb0004a.jpglarge.PXL_20220303_005833967.jpg.9673c90ed09f93f1695873c27e8daf8d.jpglarge.PXL_20220303_005842678.jpg.401ebf10a30ca881173366c27037a028.jpg

I can now assure my husband that he has NOTHING to worry about (he tells people that I *used* to collect pens but NOW collect inks...).

I do like the little step-ups so you can see more than the front row (I've seen the idea used in pantries for canned goods and spice jar racks).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks Amber....got to remember to use them....even if for only one beer.

5-7 for are from the 1890's (early 1900's), which are only middle aged for beer mugs.

There has been a big crash of beer mug prices once the American Army moved home. The Beer Mug Depression continued slipping even lower. 

Beer mugs  from before or the turn of the last century that once I'd :puddle: drooled over, get ignored. I just don't have place for them.

Some a 100 years older from 1760's or so, could be now afforded ...... if I gave up inks and pens....for a year or more than likely three.

Even though there are still plenty of $30-50,000 beer mugs (carved Ivory, and or heavy ornate silver once owned by King X or Duke Z) out there, many of the  1760-1800's once $15,000 beer mugs can be had for $1,500-1,000 now.

I did ponder  for a couple of minutes the last time I was at a live auction, some three sets of old and a couple real old single mugs, went for affordable prices ie E-300......that had been a thousand just a few years ago.

....that was a very small sigh.....not the SIGH of a fountain pen sliding through my hands.

The old die (releasing their collection) and the youth can't afford an up to date $$$ high status handy/cell phone with all the needed apps and have money left over to collect anything but likes.

A verse from 'The Old Fogy Blues')

Hell, I can't really drink beer out of all my beer mugs every year....in at my age I buy more six packs than cases....so why deprive my self of inks, for a beer mug to be held with two hands and drank out of once a year................I already have some of those....just younger.

Porcelain, stoneware or pewter beer mugs keep the beer cooler than glass, and the pewter top keeps the flies and bees out.

Great for BBQing, or hanging out on porches with out screens.

I had my American Budweiser beer mug with the Clydesdale pattern, topped with a made for it pewter top. It is more 'standard' than what I'd have done today.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

2 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

I can now assure my husband that he has NOTHING to worry about (he tells people that I *used* to collect pens but NOW collect inks...).

I do like the little step-ups so you can see more than the front row (I've seen the idea used in pantries for canned goods and spice jar racks).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I ended up using 2x4s and stacking the 2x4s.

• 1 month later...

So, I added some spooky non-inks to Potion Cabinet.

large.PXL_20220424_011205654.jpg.4f0f0e0a39bc3584d1efda927d9c1c68.jpglarge.PXL_20220424_011452069.jpg.7be26fa96ad1ce7afc3f22cf5cbf90c5.jpg

7 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

large.PXL_20220424_011205654.jpg.4f0f0e0a39bc3584d1efda927d9c1c68.jpg

They look great! As long as you don't nuke the fridge

My wife and I were at the street markets in Manly last Sunday, and while we were at the stall of a vendor peddling crystals, minerals, stones and all that, it was the alien skull carved out of some sort of fancy, colourful rock that called to us both the most. Your ink bottle is more impressive, though!

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

9 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

They look great! As long as you don't nuke the fridge

My wife and I were at the street markets in Manly last Sunday, and while we were at the stall of a vendor peddling crystals, minerals, stones and all that, it was the alien skull carved out of some sort of fancy, colourful rock that called to us both the most. Your ink bottle is more impressive, though!

Thanks for the meme - as a Nevadan I get it!  My grandparents would sit and watch the bombs go off.  I thought the bottles would be a great addition to my potions cabinet. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2022 at 7:46 PM, amberleadavis said:

The newest potions cabinet has been installed!

large.PXL_20220302_232956619_MP.jpg.4c9de51726c49a31dd0be5345e7713fc.jpg

Does anyone know how wide/deep the slots on this beauty are?  

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

On 5/7/2022 at 3:07 PM, essayfaire said:

Does anyone know how wide/deep the slots on this beauty are?  

I'll try and take some measurements later.  They are large enough to hold a lot of business envelopes.

1 hour ago, amberleadavis said:

I'll try and take some measurements later.  They are large enough to hold a lot of business envelopes.

I was peering at it trying to calculate based on the size of the ink bottles and paraphernalia. Let me know especially the size of ones that are too empty! ;)

Festina lente

On 3/3/2022 at 2:26 AM, amberleadavis said:

WOW @amberleadavis, that impresses me a lot! It has some similarities with a well filled bookshelf.

For the books: culture that needs to be read.

For the inks: culture that has to be written.

;)

One life!

On 3/2/2022 at 7:26 PM, amberleadavis said:

And I now want a barrister's bookcase so badly .... of course I don't have nearly enough ink to fill it, but #lifegoals !

I am different.  Let this not alarm you.  ~ Paracelsus

If you're interested in corresponding, let me know!

1 hour ago, frolic838 said:

And I now want a barrister's bookcase so badly .... of course I don't have nearly enough ink to fill it, but #lifegoals !

Ink is usually less expensive than barristers... unless you get lucky as the estate sale market underprices them if you can find them. 

I got lucky.  My mother-in-law gave me her barristers. :) Also some books written by her father and grandfather to keep them company.

Festina lente

On 5/8/2022 at 3:34 PM, amberleadavis said:

Now the boxes aren't exactly uniform, but about 6.75" deep, 2.5" across and about 5.5" tall.

14 hours ago, InesF said:

WOW @amberleadavis, that impresses me a lot! It has some similarities with a well filled bookshelf.

For the books: culture that needs to be read.

For the inks: culture that has to be written.

;)

Thank you!

2 hours ago, frolic838 said:

You are in a perfect place to find them. They used to sell for about $200 a section, but lately, the price is about $200 a set.

58 minutes ago, essayfaire said:

Ink is usually less expensive than barristers... unless you get lucky as the estate sale market underprices them if you can find them. 

I got lucky.  My mother-in-law gave me her barristers. :) Also some books written by her father and grandfather to keep them company.

I disagree, the ink is much more expensive per inch.  :)

Congrats on the family heirlooms!

46 minutes ago, amberleadavis said:

I disagree, the ink is much more expensive per inch.  :)

Touché! But if we consider how many pages of writing we can get from a single bottle of ink... 

Festina lente