How Do You Display Your Inks?

amberleadavis

I don't, really. My wife hates it when I 'display' my inks, i.e. leave them all over the place on the desk in the study (which she has taken over since March for 'work from home' purposes), in the guest bathroom (next to the study) where I do the cleaning and flushing, on the dining table, etc.

This is where all (well, most, because sometimes I still have a few plucked out and lying around elsewhere) my in-use ink bottles live:
fpn_1590747926__ink_storage_in_desk_may_

and this is what's in that space when unpacked:
fpn_1590747955__inks_in_the_ikea_desk.jp

(That stuff on the top of the desk is hers!)

N.B. The collection has grown by about 20% since 15 months ago, and I've had to move all the unopened bottles to a different location (under the bed in the guest bedroom-cum-study).

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Fuzzy_Bear

• lgsoltek

• HalloweenHJB

In their original boxes, stacked in the bathroom linen closet. That way they get no sun, and I can't accidentally knock one off my already-too-crowded desk.

I only have 12 bottles at the moment, with a half dozen or so more on the way in the mail from various sellers.

• 1 month later...

In their original boxes, stacked in the bathroom linen closet. That way they get no sun, and I can't accidentally knock one off my already-too-crowded desk.

I only have 12 bottles at the moment, with a half dozen or so more on the way in the mail from various sellers.

Wouldn't the change in temperature in the bathroom cause the inks to go bad?

Wouldn't the change in temperature in the bathroom cause the inks to go bad?

That's a good point, and I will need to think about that - in case the steam from showers causes issues.

Fortunately, I live alone and so don't shut the door and trap the steam. The mirror hardly even fogs up. :P .

I don't "display" my inks, but I do like to keep them close at hand. My most commonly used inks are in the drawer of my gorgeous Toyooka Craft case which sits on my desk.

My other inks reside in an oak cabinet with a deep drawer and 2 shelves. The inks in the drawer are loose. Those on the shelves are in plastic boxes. The cabinet was originally made for me to store cigars. It held something like 50 boxes. I quite smoking a while back and repurposed the cabinet. (No. It doesn't smell like cigars!) The cabinet sits about 4 feet from my desk chair.

David

Honestly, I don't display inks or much of anything else. There are two reasons, both of which are personal matters. Firstly, displays seemingly soon turn into clutter filling space, collecting dust, and needing tidying. The second is that I am am a somewhat private person, neither a braggard or ego invested, and having my possessions on display seems to be both bragging and egoistic.

But again, that is me personally, and no judgement is intended.

Without accusing you of being judgemental, I don't think everything put on display is a sign of bragging or egoistic. Sometimes one just wants to show pretty or otherwise interesting things to visitors. And some just like to look at it themselves.

Agreed, and as I said above it is why I personallly don't display anything. And again, I tend to seek privacy and endeavour for a level of personal humility -- as a lifestyle.

• 1 month later...

I don't, really. My wife hates it when I 'display' my inks, i.e. leave them all over the place on the desk in the study (which she has taken over since March for 'work from home' purposes), in the guest bathroom (next to the study) where I do the cleaning and flushing, on the dining table, etc.

This is where all (well, most, because sometimes I still have a few plucked out and lying around elsewhere) my in-use ink bottles live:

fpn_1590747926__ink_storage_in_desk_may_

and this is what's in that space when unpacked:

fpn_1590747955__inks_in_the_ikea_desk.jp

(That stuff on the top of the desk is hers!)

N.B. The collection has grown by about 20% since 15 months ago, and I've had to move all the unopened bottles to a different location (under the bed in the guest bedroom-cum-study).

Egad! And here I thought I had too many inks at ten bottles and an assortment of cartridges.

(ADDED: Spell check is a curse on mankind. It changed 'Egad' to 'Head'.)

Edited by ParramattaPaul

Hah! You're just a beginner, then, ParramattaPaul! ;)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

@Smug, I understand leaving them all over. :)

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Hah! You're just a beginner, then, ParramattaPaul! ;)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Or, too conservative for my own good.

• 8 months later...

I'll be going back and uploading the pictures that used to be on my server so that the images will forever be on FPN.  Meanwhile, I think it is time for an update.

PXL_20210507_183926441.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I am uploading these one at a time so that they actually load.

PXL_20210507_183931356.jpg

This is the cabinet closest to my desk.

PXL_20210507_183939329.jpg

Here is the first of the three cabinets, and as you can see the pictures above are from this cabinet.

PXL_20210507_183845900.jpg

Here is my original cabinet.

PXL_20210507_184002110.jpg

Here is the second cabinet and it's hard to get a good picture of the entire cabinet, but you get the idea.

PXL_20210507_185100768.jpg

Crikey, that's a lot of ink :) Very jealous - and of the space too. 

I actually try to hide my inks rather than display them!