Best Pens For Under $30

Snowie

Looks like they're presently in stock at stationeryart.com; their prices are about the best I've seen, and I haven't gotten a fake 78g from them yet. In the US, there's jstationery.com, but isellpens.com appears to have them on sale for close to the same price.

I doubt they'd be at any brick-and-mortar shop in the US, since they're apparently not made for the US market.

I kinda like isellpens...nice selection....they say for better security pay by paypal, but is it less secure for me to pay with regular plastic, like amex?

anyone have thoughts or experience on this?

thank you!

pm

Franklin-Christoph Stabilis 66 and Pocket 40: both with Matsuyama CI | Karas Kustoms Aluminum, Daniel Smith CI | Italix Parson's Essential and Freshman's Notator | Pilot Prera | Pilot Metropolitan | Lamy Safari, 1.1mm italic | Muji "Round Aluminum Pen" | Waterman Phileas | Noodler's Konrad | Nemosine Singularity 0.6mm stub | ASA Nauka, acrylic and ebonite | Gama Hawk | Wality Airmail | Noodlers Ahab | TWSBI GO | Noodlers Charlie | Pilot Plumix |

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NewPenMan

• Snowie

• lemanfan

• paultyler_82

Looks like they're presently in stock at stationeryart.com; their prices are about the best I've seen, and I haven't gotten a fake 78g from them yet. In the US, there's jstationery.com, but isellpens.com appears to have them on sale for close to the same price.

I doubt they'd be at any brick-and-mortar shop in the US, since they're apparently not made for the US market.

I kinda like isellpens...nice selection....they say for better security pay by paypal, but is it less secure for me to pay with regular plastic, like amex?

thank you!

pm

Franklin-Christoph Stabilis 66 and Pocket 40: both with Matsuyama CI | Karas Kustoms Aluminum, Daniel Smith CI | Italix Parson's Essential and Freshman's Notator | Pilot Prera | Pilot Metropolitan | Lamy Safari, 1.1mm italic | Muji "Round Aluminum Pen" | Waterman Phileas | Noodler's Konrad | Nemosine Singularity 0.6mm stub | ASA Nauka, acrylic and ebonite | Gama Hawk | Wality Airmail | Noodlers Ahab | TWSBI GO | Noodlers Charlie | Pilot Plumix |

You can use your amex on Paypal.

the Pilot 78G...where can we buy this?

I google it up and see lots of hits, but none (aside from ebay) where you can BUY one.

I was hoping maybe staples of office depot, but I'm gettin' nothin in the way of a source to buy one.

any advice?

I got mine of ebay... worked for me.

But if you're US based, http://www.isellpens.com/ seems like a good source. For both the Jinhao and the Pilot.

Also available at www.jstationery.com for $12.50 with free shipping over $20.00 - no affiliation. And, if you want to order from Hong Kong (?), I think, "stationery art.com" has them for $7.45 with inexpensive shipping to the U.S. Long travel time though. Have not ordered from there (yet).

Edited by brgmarketing

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Just ordered a Jinhao 159 off eBay for 0.99 + 9.98 for shipping

I'm a little concerned about the weight. Currently I'm using Esterbrook Js and Noodlers. Both are light weight so 45g may be too heavy for my liking but then again, the weight may be offset by the smooth writing. We shall see.

I also just bought a Nemosine Singularity off eBay because of this evil evil site/post. :) Beautiful red and less than $20.

I need a job that requires more writing so I can personally justify all of these pen purchases. :) :). Ah, why bother.

I really need to quit reading through the "good pens for less than..." posts.

Edited by JGSalty

Is there a difference between the al-star and safari, other than price and body material?

I had a Lamy Vista from June 2009-April 2010, a clear plastic version of the Safari, and an All Star from April 2010 until the first week of October 2012. The All Star might be slightly heavier and longer. The Cap of the Safari/Vista just fits onto the back of the pen due of friction. The cap of the all star has little strips of metal on the inside that bend to make the cap firmly star attached to the back of the pen while preventing the rest of the cap from getting deformed from the pressure of posting it onto the back of the pen. The front piece is the same size and shape on both and I suspect the All Star barrel would screw onto a Sefari front piece, but I never tried this. The All Star only comes with a black translucent front piece, as far as I know. The All star only comes in a few colors, as you can imagine, aluminum must be harder to color than plastic.

Parker Frontier - The stainless steel version can be had for less than $20. Vector and Jotter are other inexpensive Parker options.

Staedtler Learner's - A good writer but probably not one you'd want to be seen with at the office. Fun, though, because it looks like their iconic pencils.

Kaweco Sport - Brilliant little pen for just over $20.

Ohto F-Spirit - Very good pen for about $16.50.

Sailor HighAce Neo - I haven't tried one, but it sounds like a good pen for $16.50

Lamy Nexx - Good pens using the same nib as the acclaimed Safari and cost about $20 (maybe just over).

Pelikano Junior and Pelikano - I've heard good things, and they're colorful. $11.50

Sheaffer VFM - I don't know anything about these, but they look the business. $15

Sailor Clear Candy - Colorful pens. $16.50

Noodler's Ahab - Flex! $20

Platinum Plaisir - Very good pen. $20

Pilot 78G - It's a great writer, but the grip section on mine comes loose all too easily. It's annoying.

Several of those are clearly aimed at children but are still good pens. There are plenty of serviceable fountain pens around the $20 price point.

-Andy

They (Isellpens) and a couple other sellers say they prefer Paypal, but they also accept regular credit cards. When going through the checkout process, you will find an option that says something like "I do not have a Paypal account" which will take you to a regular credit card purchase page. I don't recall if Amex is one of the cards accepted, but I'm sure it is. I'm a happy customer at Isellpens and despite my having a Paypal acct, I usually pay by credit card.

nulla dies sine linea

I also just bought a Nemosine Singularity off eBay because of this evil evil site/post. :) Beautiful red and less than $20.

You got one in 'Cardinal' then? That is one of the colors I want that pen in, looks quite nice.

thank you!

Paypal simply offers a secure gateway and buyer/seller protection services. Provided that they are using TLS/SSL and an automated card processor (They probably are, it's basically industry standard at this point) it's not going to be a security risk. TLS and SSL are very difficult cryptographic standards to crack and are enough of a hindrance for any hacker. They use what is considered a 'strong-enough cypher' meaning it would take too long to crack on expensive enough hardware that it is not economically feasible to attempt a meaningful attack.

<em class='bbc'>I started nowhere, ended up back there. I caught a fever and it burned up my blood. It was a pity, I left the city; I did me some travelin' but it's done me no good.</em> - Buffalo Clover "The Ruse"

I'm a little concerned about the weight. Currently I'm using Esterbrook Js and Noodlers. Both are light weight so 45g may be too heavy for my liking but then again, the weight may be offset by the smooth writing. We shall see.

I need a job that requires more writing so I can personally justify all of these pen purchases. :) :). Ah, why bother.

What nib did you get for your Nemo? I have the smaller of the two italics, and am considering either a B or the karger italic because so far, I love it.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

This thread needs to be stickied

If you go vintage, nice Sheaffer Balances (3-25/Craftsman) go for about $20. Get it resacced and enjoy

I had no idea that there were so many good inexpensive choices out there. Goes to show you that just because you can spend $100 doesn't mean you have to. :)

Have the Jinhao x750 and the pilot 78g, both are probably the best pens under $20, can't say for under $30 since I haven't tried a Safari, but these two will definitely give the Lamy a run for its money and maybe even beat it.

Pen blog of current inventory

Enjoy life, and keep on writing!

-Tommy

I had no idea that there were so many good inexpensive choices out there. Goes to show you that just because you can spend $100 doesn't mean you have to. :)

I would tell you more - my biggest disappointments were associated with expensive pens.

“Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down.” Jimmy Durante quotes (American Comedian, Pianist and Singer, 1893-1980)

What nib did you get for your Nemo? I have the smaller of the two italics, and am considering either a B or the karger italic because so far, I love it.

I got the fine.

Another vote for the Lamy Safari. Not an exciting pen but reliable and functional.

I have a number of Jin Haos and am a fan. Several X450's and an X750. That 159 is newer and I have to say is tempting. Impressive looking pens for the money, although I've found the performance a bit uneven. Of course on the $30 budget you could get more than one.

• 5 weeks later...

Snowie,

I just got the Pilot Metropolitan in this morning and for $15 this pen is truly amazing! Its a solid construction and frankly, it rivals some other pens five times the cost. The nib is as smooth as my Waterman Hemisphere.

I do have a couple of Lamy Al-Stars that I didn't list because they are slightly above the $30 mark. I love them though, I would assume the Safari is the same just with a plastic body, right? Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming. I hadn't even thought of the Indian pens and I have been looking at some of the eye droppers on the Revolution page. :)

Hey, I've got a few Lamy Al-Stars listed in the Classifieds! Was hoping to trade them though. Go get me a few bottles of Noodler's Bulletproof Black and send them, and that pen would be yours! It's that easy! :roflmho:

But in all reality, here's my link to my listing, if you're ever interested. Ruby Red doesn't float everyone's boat.

Hi Snowie,

The obvious answer is the Lamy Safari - they're everywhere, come in a variety of colors and you can swap nibs easily and on the cheap.

The Pilot 78G, available in f thru b for roughly 10.00 USD on ebay.

Esterbrook J, if you are looking for vintage.

I've been on an Indian fountain pen kick in the last while. Kevin from Fountain Pen Revolution is a member here and he's got a variety of dirt cheap pens. If you want to tinker around, great place to start. Hope this helps.

The Pilot 78g and Metropolitan are GREAT pens for the price. I own a 78G, best 10 bucks i have spent in a while.

Honorable Mention... .

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:28 PM

Inexpensive....reliable..funky fountain pen..Rotring Core..comes in a large variety of flavors....

http://www.fountainp...age__mode__show

Fred

The greatest derangement of the mind is to believe in

something because one wishes it to be so.... .

~ L. Pasteur ~