Harbor Freight Wooden Tool Chest

OakIris

Along the lines of what Rick suggested, I use this Plano 2 sided box that Dan Smith posted about here.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/206494-how-do-you-organize-your-repair-tools-and-supplies/

I do wish it was a bit larger but it still has become indispensable for me. Definitely one of the best fountain pen items I've ever bought. :thumbup:

Bruce in Ocala, FL

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OakIris

• pen2paper

• stevlight

• tenney

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I use two of these and they have been great the only disadvantage is they will not hold ink bottles, at least none that I have. I have two trays cut from the material HERE in each drawer so they hold 18 pens per drawer I am getting ready to buy #3

Paul

Good thread, I was just looking at a similar idea on Amazon from Grizzly, it's just straight drawers but under $50 and two would do just fine for me:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51cYUvsFhnL._AA300_.jpg

Edited by MadAmos

Amos

The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Albert Einstein

Those plastic organizers/tackle boxes look as if they work perfectly for storing and organizing tools/parts/pen stuff. I like the idea.

Before considering buying anything else, of course, I need to see how much room is in the tool chest I have just bought. (It hasn't shipped yet so I don't know when I will get it. :( ) I am hoping it will have more than enough room for my needs, but.... It's great to see other solutions as well.

I also think the Grizzly 8-drawer tool chest mentioned by AfterMyNap and used by Paul would be a great way to store pens. It looks nice and it's not all that expensive, either. (I think I would only need one of them, unlike you, Paul (or are you Amos? :unsure: .) You obviously have a lot more pens than I do!)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51cYUvsFhnL.jpg

Holly

Edited by OakIris

Well, I went to Harbor Freight this afternoon and took a look at the tool chest. Like pen2paper, I was not impressed. Just as an example of the build quality, the drawer bottoms are made of thin Masonite stapled to the bottom of the drawer frame. The whole thing seemed very flimsy and the display model was terribly beat up, gouges on the interior where the drawers had been pulled out. I think the quality may have gone down since Ron and others in this thread bought theirs.

I probably should have waited--Oh well mine has already shipped--I will let you all know how it is when it arrives. I can always bring it to school where I teach and use it for all the misc. stuff i have there.

Oh, I hope I have not made you regret your purchase. :( Others have seemed quite content with theirs; perhaps I am just expecting too much for the price.....

I gave up looking for a cheaper solution and bought this leatherette covered Gerstner tool chest from the 1940's - the wood is oak and I think it is lovely. I am hoping that it lives up to the seller's description that it is "outstanding" and "clean!"

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Outstanding-Vintage-1940s-Gerstner-11-Drawer-Oak-Machinist-Tool-Chest-Box-CLEAN-/00/s/MTAyNFg3Njg=/$T2eC16NHJGQE9noMZGkzBQR9QR0wtQ~~60_57.JPG

Holly

That one looks great and no doubt you will love it for a very looooong time!

I'm glad that others share my very low opinion of Harbor Freight, I didn't want to burst your bubble but, they are a tool store for people who simply don't know better!

Nope, didn't bid on that one dental cabinet, I've discovered that looking at the Dayton, OH Craigslist yields very good deals on the Gerstners and the next time I travel through those parts, I will try to make a deal before I leave here.

Be sure to let us know when it arrives, prying eyes are dying to see it!! ;)

—Cindy

“This is the sort of pedantry up with which I will not put.”

—Winston Churchill (attributed)

You obviously have a lot more pens than I do!)

Holly

Hey, as you become more and more skilled with restoring and fixing, you will surely grow emotionally attached to your successes... then you will plan to keep them... then you will need to store them... then you will want to show them off...

Yeah, better plan ahead! :)

—Cindy

“This is the sort of pedantry up with which I will not put.”

—Winston Churchill (attributed)

You obviously have a lot more pens than I do!)

Holly

Hey, as you become more and more skilled with restoring and fixing, you will surely grow emotionally attached to your successes... then you will plan to keep them... then you will need to store them... then you will want to show them off...

Yeah, better plan ahead! :)

lol - I know, never say never! I only plan to repair pens for my own use - and my repairs will be limited to simple things, such as resacing. I imagine my inventory will grow, but I will do my best to keep this under control. My small pen budget will no doubt assist me with that. (Spent much more than I had planned on the tool chest so my "budget" is non-existent now.)

Holly

While there are many plastic tool and bait boxes that can easily hold / carry pens etc., there is something aesthetically pleasing about wooden tool chests (with a front cover that keeps the drawers from sliding open).

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

By chance I happened to be in the local harbor freight store over the weekend and saw this tool chest.

The floor model was fresh out of the box and looked pretty decent. As someone else wrote, when you take draws out, you can see the quality of manufacture isn't so hot, but it looked every penny of $60. It will hold a lot do items, and it treated gently, will look reasonable for quite a while...

Whomever posted the Gerstner suggestion....my wallet does not appreciate it ;-) Those things look awesome, especially with the options available and the finishing products that you can add form other vendors....

TC.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

While there are many plastic tool and bait boxes that can easily hold / carry pens etc., there is something aesthetically pleasing about wooden tool chests (with a front cover that keeps the drawers from sliding open).

Plastic is probably more practical if you need to carry your tools with you, but I agree that wood is much nicer looking. My tools won't be traveling so the tool box that I will be getting will be staying home and looking pretty right here. :P

By chance I happened to be in the local harbor freight store over the weekend and saw this tool chest.

The floor model was fresh out of the box and looked pretty decent. As someone else wrote, when you take draws out, you can see the quality of manufacture isn't so hot, but it looked every penny of $60. It will hold a lot do items, and it treated gently, will look reasonable for quite a while...

Whomever posted the Gerstner suggestion....my wallet does not appreciate it ;-) Those things look awesome, especially with the options available and the finishing products that you can add form other vendors....

Glad that the folks at your store take more pride in their goods than the one I went to. You would think that at least the HF store managers would make sure their display models were in great shape in order to persuade folks that their products are worth buying, instead of being beat to heck like the one I saw; apparently the manager at my local store couldn't care less.

The Gerstner tool boxes are drool worthy....but the HF boxes are much better price-wise. Are you going to get one?

Holly

Glad that the folks at your store take more pride in their goods than the one I went to. You would think that at least the HF store managers would make sure their display models were in great shape in order to persuade folks that their products are worth buying, instead of being beat to heck like the one I saw; apparently the manager at my local store couldn't care less.

The Gerstner tool boxes are drool worthy....but the HF boxes are much better price-wise. Are you going to get one?

Holly

I don't think so...at least not right now...I don't have that much stuff to store.

I would certainly consider it when I need something of that size (which I suspect won't be very long).

TC.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Holly

I don't think so...at least not right now...I don't have that much stuff to store.

I would certainly consider it when I need something of that size (which I suspect won't be very long).

I know what you mean. I am amazed to find out how much pen-related "stuff" I have accumulated since acquiring this obsession....er, I mean hobby. :rolleyes: I don't think I will be filling up the chest right away, but I might be surprised once I have everything in one spot!

Holly

I just received my harbor freight tool box the other day and am very happy with it. Yes the drawer bottoms are Masonite that is stapled but I do not think that is so bad. The small tools that will be placed in then will not cause a lot of strain on them. The outside of the box is very sturdy solid wood. I think it will hold up very well. Once I have every thing in it I will try to post pics.

www.stevelightart.com

Delighted it turned out for you!

as I said, the one I saw was quite beat up, might have been a return, shopworn, or second.

Also, grew up around the building business so my impression may have been overly fussy about fit and finish.

If its sound and fits your needs that all that counts : )

I just received my harbor freight tool box the other day and am very happy with it. Yes the drawer bottoms are Masonite that is stapled but I do not think that is so bad. The small tools that will be placed in then will not cause a lot of strain on them. The outside of the box is very sturdy solid wood. I think it will hold up very well. Once I have every thing in it I will try to post pics.

I am very glad to hear that you like your new tool chest. I look forward to seeing the pictures of the chest full of goodies!

Delighted it turned out for you!

as I said, the one I saw was quite beat up, might have been a return, shopworn, or second.

Also, grew up around the building business so my impression may have been overly fussy about fit and finish.

If its sound and fits your needs that all that counts : )

+1 I think if I had seen a better kept sample of the tool chest I probably would have gone for it. As you said, stevlight, it is not as if we are planning to put anything particularly heavy in the drawers that would challenge their stapled/glued design.

Still, although I did not grow up around the building trade, I did grow up around a lot of nice antiques and there is just something about well-built furniture that has lasted through the years. I haven't received my 1940's tool chest as yet but it looks as if it finally reached Denver over the weekend so maybe today or tomorrow. The joke is on me if the tool chest ends up having been glued and stapled together like the Harbor Freight tool chest. :headsmack:

Holly

Holly, are you planning to bring back the original finish on the tool chest?

Not quite sure what you mean..... :embarrassed_smile:

Holly

Holly

I think it has paint that's not original, so was wondering if you planned to refinish the wood, or work with the paint colors in your inserts? The inserts come in a rainbow of colors.

Holly

I think it has paint that's not original, so was wondering if you planned to refinish the wood, or work with the paint colors in your inserts? The inserts come in a rainbow of colors.

Ahhh, now I understand. If the tool chest was painted, I would indeed refinish it since I certainly would prefer showing the wonderful grain of the oak wood. The tool chest is not painted, as far as I know. I think what you are seeing is the original leatherette covering; these pictures will show that a bit better perhaps:

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/5/8/6/1/9/5/webimg/603734686_tp.jpg

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/5/8/6/1/9/5/webimg/603736116_o.jpg

(These pictures are all from the original auction listing.)

I would have preferred a chest without the leatherette, but so it goes!

Holly

Edited by OakIris