Harbor Freight Wooden Tool Chest

OakIris

Kennedy makes some very nice machinist toolboxes. Not cheap new, but you can find them used pretty reasonable sometimes. You might try craigslist. I use this one for my pen tools, and have another one in the garage for other tools.

I saw some of these on eBay prior to your post and they would indeed make a great tool box for pen "stuff;" I am going to keep Kennedy in mind should I fail to find a wood tool box that suits. Looks as if you have a great set up, Tommy!

Even though I don't have many pen tools, sacs, etc. I have found this thread most interesting. Thank you.

I don't have that many tools, either. As someone that will only be fixing her own pens - and doing only minor repairs at that - I probably won't amass a whole lot of tools anyway, but I have all sorts of "bits and bobs," as they say, that I would love to have stored in an organized way. Though "bits and bobs" seem to multiply on their own, one of the boxes talked about in this thread should give me enough storage capacity to last for quite a long time.

Holly

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OakIris

• pen2paper

• stevlight

• tenney

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If the Gerstner chests are out of your price range, but you're looking for something a bit sturdier than the low cost options above, check out the Gerstner International chests. Designed by Gerstner but mass produced overseas, they're quite a bit less expensive than the hand made US Gerstners. I have the GI-532/B532 Chest and Base Combo but they can be purchased separately.

Here are a few pics of mine. The 12x16 drawer liners were purchased from GoPens.com and cut in half to a 6" height to fit the just over 7" depth of the drawers:

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb392/FLJeepGuy/Pens/GerstnerClosed.jpg

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb392/FLJeepGuy/Pens/GerstnerOpen.jpg

Collection Counts: Cross-4, Esterbrook-15, Eversharp-1, Graf von Faber-Castell-1, Jinhao-2, Kaweco-1, Lamy-6, Levenger-2, Monteverde-1, Pilot/Namiki-3, Noodler's-1, Parker-18, Rotring-10, Sailor-1, Sheaffer-19, TWSBI-1, Visconti-4, Waterford-1, Waterman-7

Favorite Inks: Diamine, Levenger, Private Reserve, Noodler's Lexington Gray

Your Gerstner tool chest and base are beautiful, FlJeepGuy, but I am afraid that even the "cheaper" International chests are too expensive for me. :embarrassed_smile:

Holly

If the Gerstner chests are out of your price range, but you're looking for something a bit sturdier than the low cost options above, check out the Gerstner International chests. Designed by Gerstner but mass produced overseas, they're quite a bit less expensive than the hand made US Gerstners. I have the GI-532/B532 Chest and Base Combo but they can be purchased separately.

Here are a few pics of mine. The 12x16 drawer liners were purchased from GoPens.com and cut in half to a 6" height to fit the just over 7" depth of the drawers:

Woweeeeee! :puddle: :puddle: :puddle:

Anyone heard of George P. Pilling & Son? They made mahogany dentists' tool chests. There's one for auction at that one site:

My link

It looks pretty nice for $100. http://www.frontiernet.net/~jarup/dh32.JPG

Edited by AfterMyNap

—Cindy

“This is the sort of pedantry up with which I will not put.”

—Winston Churchill (attributed)

Woweeeeee! :puddle: :puddle: :puddle:

Anyone heard of George P. Pilling & Son? They made mahogany dentists' tool chests. There's one for auction at that one site:

My link

It looks pretty nice for $100. http://www.frontiernet.net/~jarup/dh32.JPG

That is a nice looking chest, too. I don't have any info about the company - looks as if they made the dental tools to go into the chest, who knows if they also made the tool chests themselves. Here is an interesting link - apparently there was a labor dispute with the union back in 1939 and the company was planning - or threatening - to outsource the manufacture of their tools to Germany. Not such good timing on the company's part..... : George P. Pilling & Son Co. and Dental, Surgical & Allied Workers Local Industrial Union

Are you going to bid on it, AfterMyNap?

Think I've fallen in love with these tool box whatsits - wish I had the room for one! Hehe

They don't take up that much room - most of them seem to be about 20" X 10" X 16", or there abouts. Go for it! We are all here to enable you. :P

Well, I went to Harbor Freight this afternoon and took a look at the tool chest. Like pen2paper, I was not impressed. Just as an example of the build quality, the drawer bottoms are made of thin Masonite stapled to the bottom of the drawer frame. The whole thing seemed very flimsy and the display model was terribly beat up, gouges on the interior where the drawers had been pulled out. I think the quality may have gone down since Ron and others in this thread bought theirs. :(

Holly

so then, will you look into the Grizzly?

edited to include:please do share what you find about the grizzly..

I know you're specifically looking for tool, etc. storage, not pen storage.. but thought I would share one pen box that turned out to be very nice for the $, glass top, not plastic.

http://www.ebay.com/...3#ht_1224wt_932

(nayy)

Edited by pen2paper

Well, I went to Harbor Freight this afternoon and took a look at the tool chest. Like pen2paper, I was not impressed. Just as an example of the build quality, the drawer bottoms are made of thin Masonite stapled to the bottom of the drawer frame. The whole thing seemed very flimsy and the display model was terribly beat up, gouges on the interior where the drawers had been pulled out. I think the quality may have gone down since Ron and others in this thread bought theirs.

I probably should have waited--Oh well mine has already shipped--I will let you all know how it is when it arrives. I can always bring it to school where I teach and use it for all the misc. stuff i have there.

www.stevelightart.com

Well, I went to Harbor Freight this afternoon and took a look at the tool chest. Like pen2paper, I was not impressed. Just as an example of the build quality, the drawer bottoms are made of thin Masonite stapled to the bottom of the drawer frame. The whole thing seemed very flimsy and the display model was terribly beat up, gouges on the interior where the drawers had been pulled out. I think the quality may have gone down since Ron and others in this thread bought theirs.

I probably should have waited--Oh well mine has already shipped--I will let you all know how it is when it arrives. I can always bring it to school where I teach and use it for all the misc. stuff i have there.

Oh, I hope I have not made you regret your purchase. :( Others have seemed quite content with theirs; perhaps I am just expecting too much for the price.....

I gave up looking for a cheaper solution and bought this leatherette covered Gerstner tool chest from the 1940's - the wood is oak and I think it is lovely. I am hoping that it lives up to the seller's description that it is "outstanding" and "clean!"

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Outstanding-Vintage-1940s-Gerstner-11-Drawer-Oak-Machinist-Tool-Chest-Box-CLEAN-/00/s/MTAyNFg3Njg=/$T2eC16NHJGQE9noMZGkzBQR9QR0wtQ~~60_57.JPG

Holly

Good! You got the Bible hole. That's a great place to keep your pen sacs. Buy some coin envelopes or plastic envelopes and sort them by size. I have a Gerstner that was given to me, but I haven't used it for shows because there wasn't a place to store sacs built in.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Everything about Harbor Freight's total existence is based on how little we will spend for junk and then delude ousrselves into thinking we have made a score. There's little noble about their sources, either. But why would you want to house your multi-thousand dollar fountain pen collection in that thing? Why aren't you looking for a highly skilled woodworker in your area who will build you a one of a kind box worthy of you and your pens? Might cost you $500. You support a local artist and craftsman. You end up with a unique heirloom. You contribute to your local economy.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

so then, will you look into the Grizzly?

edited to include:please do share what you find about the grizzly..

I know you're specifically looking for tool, etc. storage, not pen storage.. but thought I would share one pen box that turned out to be very nice for the $, glass top, not plastic.

http://www.ebay.com/...3#ht_1224wt_932

(nayy)

I somehow didn't see your post before now, pen2paper. That is a nice display box.... Not something I need right now, though, since I don't even have enough pens to fill up my cigar box storage box as yet.

You can see in my last post what I decided to get instead of the Harbor Freight tool box; not a Grizzly, but a vintage Gerstner machinist tool box...as much as I didn't want to spend the money, somehow I couldn't resist.... I was so hoping the the Harbor Freight box would do, too. :(

Good! You got the Bible hole. That's a great place to keep your pen sacs. Buy some coin envelopes or plastic envelopes and sort them by size. I have a Gerstner that was given to me, but I haven't used it for shows because there wasn't a place to store sacs built in.

lol - I wondered what you meant by the "Bible hole" in your previous post, but was too embarrassed to ask. (Why is it called that??) You are very lucky to have been given a Gerstner tool box, Ron; sorry it wasn't quite the configuration you were looking for, but I bet you will find a use for it.

I spent more money than I should have or planned to, but I am really looking forward to receiving my tool box. I have ordered some tools and sacs and can't wait to put them in their new home!

Holly

Wow, that's a nice looking chest. Since it was made in the '40s, I daresay it's better made than most anything you'll find today. I think it's especially appropriate if you have vintage pens.

Everything about Harbor Freight's total existence is based on how little we will spend for junk and then delude ousrselves into thinking we have made a score. There's little noble about their sources, either. But why would you want to house your multi-thousand dollar fountain pen collection in that thing? Why aren't you looking for a highly skilled woodworker in your area who will build you a one of a kind box worthy of you and your pens? Might cost you $500. You support a local artist and craftsman. You end up with a unique heirloom. You contribute to your local economy.

Harbor Freight has a place in this world, though I supect that very little, if any, of their merchandise is made here in the USA. Their tools will do in a pinch and if you don't have much money....

lol - multi-thousand dollar fountain pen collection? You jest! My "collection" is maybe worth $800 dollars, and that is probably pushing it. The tool chest may indeed house some pens at some point, but it is primarily for my few pen repair tools, glues, sacs, rolling blotter, extra Estie nibs, etc. I am much attracted to vintage pens and I am hoping to increase my collection, and to have some fun, by buying "cheap" vintage pens that have good nibs but are not in perfect condition, probably need sacs installed, etc., so that I can have a chance to make a nice writer out of them - I don't have the $$ to buy mint condition pens.

I would be wonderful to find a local artist/craftsman that could make a tool chest to my specifications, but I am afraid that would be very cost prohibitive for me. Re-purposing a vintage tool chest for my fountain pen obsession seemed the next best thing to me. :P

Wow, that's a nice looking chest. Since it was made in the '40s, I daresay it's better made than most anything you'll find today. I think it's especially appropriate if you have vintage pens.

I sure hope that it is as nice as it looks in the photos. I agree that it seems quite appropriate - a vintage tool chest that was built "back in the day" when fountain pens were, perhaps, at their height.

Holly

Edited by OakIris

I like the idea of the vintage chests. Some seem nice, and they also seem less expensive too. Although they might be heavier.

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

I like the idea of the vintage chests. Some seem nice, and they also seem less expensive too. Although they might be heavier.

For the most part the vintage chests are less expensive, though some of those on eBay have Buy It Now prices of $1000 and more. If they are heavier, it is probably because they are made out of solid hardwood, usually oak. And, as N2theBreach said in his post, I, too, imagine they are better made than most of the chests made today. I am hoping, anyway!

The "Bible Hole" is where the machinist's reference books were kept.

Ahh, that makes sense! I have ordered my "bible," Marshall & Oldfield's Pen Repair, but it won't fit in the Bible hole in this chest. Storing sacs in there instead sounds like a good plan. :thumbup:

Holly

Edited by OakIris

I use the two taller drawers in my chests to hold all of my pen repair and maintenance ephemera as well. Ear bulbs, syringes, pipettes, sacs, shellac bottle, loupes, tweezers, picks, and so on. Very convenient.

Collection Counts: Cross-4, Esterbrook-15, Eversharp-1, Graf von Faber-Castell-1, Jinhao-2, Kaweco-1, Lamy-6, Levenger-2, Monteverde-1, Pilot/Namiki-3, Noodler's-1, Parker-18, Rotring-10, Sailor-1, Sheaffer-19, TWSBI-1, Visconti-4, Waterford-1, Waterman-7

Favorite Inks: Diamine, Levenger, Private Reserve, Noodler's Lexington Gray

I use the two taller drawers in my chests to hold all of my pen repair and maintenance ephemera as well. Ear bulbs, syringes, pipettes, sacs, shellac bottle, loupes, tweezers, picks, and so on. Very convenient.

Nice - that is what is so neat about these chests with many drawers. Room for all sorts of "stuff." I do like your set up - lots of expansion room, and I suppose you can add yet another base if you run out of room!

Holly

Nice thread!

Here is an "economist's" view (read: cheap!!)......

If you're going to Harbor Freight, here's what I use, $12.99:

HF 4 drawer

DSCF6612.JPG

DSCF6613.JPG

DSCF6615.JPG

DSCF6616.JPG

Holly, I have read some of your other posts concerning beginning repair, and might I say BRAVO!! It truly does make the hobby more fun. But you have mentioned that your pen collection is small, currently, :rolleyes: and that you are just beginning to delve into repair/restoration. Might I suggest, that you begin with something small and really inexpensive. I too am an amateur pen repairer, 95% of my work is for my own pens, and 5% for some friends and our Pen Club, Porkopolis Penners. I can do simple lever fill/sac replacements, am gaining more experience in Vac diaphragm replacement. I am also a Montblanc guy, so have some specialized tools for those pens (including cork replacement now, woohoo!).

ALL MY current tools and supplies fit into this smaller case. And it is mobile enough that I can bring it to our pen meetings. It more than meets my current needs....

As you begin this journey, this is a great place to get great information and tips! Another helpful tip is if you can get to a national pen show some time...bring a pen or two for the professionals to work on. And while they are working on your pen, bombard them with questions! Ron Z has commented in this thread already, but when I'm at his table at a show, I'm constantly asking why he did that or this while he is working on one my pens, why is that tool better or not..etc. etc...He doesn't seem to mind :embarrassed_smile:

Good Luck!

Rick

EDIT: Oops---just re-read your post that you already purchased a chest...congrats, guess I'm a day late and a dollar short!

Edited by talkinghead

MY-stair-shtook eyn-HOON-dairt noyn und FEART-seeg (Meisterstuck #149)

"the last pen I bought is the next to the last pen I will ever buy.."---jar

WTB: Sheaffer OS Balance with FLEX nibs

porkopolispennerslogorev1.jpg

Porkopolis Penners Blog