Remove Platinum 3776 Nib?

andru

I've found two references: This FPN thread [1], and this review [2].

In [2] the poster says "the nib is basically impossible to remove" (and doesn't do it). In [1], member zenshrink answers "friction fit", but it's not clear whether the question is the nib alone, or the nib and feed together.

Mine has the music nib, in case this makes a difference. I don't mind whether or not the feed comes off, as long as I can get the nib itself free.

Assuming that [1] refers to the nib and feed together, when I grip the nib/feed assembly and pull them together out of the section, should I rock it, or twist it, or just pull straight? Should the section have heat applied first? Advice on these points, or any other advice, would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dillo

• andru

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Both the nib and feed come out and are friction fit. They are fairly tight fit though. Another thing of note is that the tail of the feed can be broken off if one is not careful. This happens to some other feeds as well, not just the Platinum one, so one must always take care when pulling nibs. I often avoid pulling the nib of these pens if that is not necessary. I also believe the nib and feed are keyed into the section and can only be put back in one way.

I usually only pull the nibs for two reasons–nib tine realignment–nib regrinding. It is not an impossible pen to remove the nib on. It's just harder than some other pens.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Hi,

No problem. I just pulled one a few hours ago. I've pulled too many before that to count though. One more thing. The music nib is actually supposed to have all three tines aligned with each other. Most seem to be aligned. A few aren't.

Dillon

Edited by Dillo

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Yeah, the tines were not aligned, and I went too far lifting one of them last time I tried to adjust it. (It seems the rightmost tine is a bit thinner than the leftmost.) Also, the slits were not open to the same extent. So I managed to move the centre tine a bit, to equalise the slits, and I did manage to get the tines aligned without removing the nib, thankfully. Thing is writing wonderfully now!

On a related note, I will never use brass shim again as long as I live...

Would you personally use a knock-out block for these, to avoid the possibility of shearing while that big long feed comes free?

Hi,

I personally just pull them since pushing them out from the back would not work so well since the rear stem of the feed is fairly thin. I use both hands. One on the nib, one on the grip section and gently push both hands against each other to ease the nib out. This pulls the nib out more slowly.

Dillon

Dillon