Papermate Inkjoy Ball Pens

empyrean

After seeing the commercials, and being a pen~nut, I finally purchased these InkJoy pens. You get 8 pens for $4.00; 3 black, 3 blue, and 2 red ink. It has a F, M, and B designation on the pack as if they come in different sizes. I got the medium (1.0 mm) because there were no other nib sizes at the store. The pen writes nicely! Like a rollerball. I think I will take a handful of these on my next trip overseas. They write on a variety of surfaces, like postcards :rolleyes: with no skipping or blurring. :thumbup:

empyrean Conklin,Stipula Pyrite, Bon Voyage & Tuscany Dreams Siena, Levengers, Sailor 1911,Pelikan M200, Bexley BX802, AoLiWen Music Notes pen, Jinhao's,1935 Parker Deluxe Challenger, 1930s Eversharp Gold Seal RingTop, 1940s Sheaffer Tuckaway, 1944 Sheaffer Triumph, Visconti Van Gogh midi, Esties!(SJ, T, and J),Cross Townsend Medalist & Aventura, 1930s Mentmore Autoflow, A bunch of Conway-Stewarts 84, Platinum 3776 Chartres Blue(med); Montegrappa Elmo (broad nib), Delta "The Journal" (med nib), Conklin Yellowstone (med nib)

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• empyrean

• WriteAway

• Sonnet

• tonydent84

Well, you know how they DON'T work? When you place the paper up against a wall and try to write with the pen horizontal. My friend's pen died on me whilst I was trying to write a comment on a Birthday card... :headsmack:

Well, you know how they DON'T work? When you place the paper up against a wall and try to write with the pen horizontal. My friend's pen died on me whilst I was trying to write a comment on a Birthday card... :headsmack:

:roflmho: well i guess we need to pull out the ole space pen for writing in that manner! also, i wouldn't try to hand one to Lady Gaga for an autograph :ltcapd:

empyrean Conklin,Stipula Pyrite, Bon Voyage & Tuscany Dreams Siena, Levengers, Sailor 1911,Pelikan M200, Bexley BX802, AoLiWen Music Notes pen, Jinhao's,1935 Parker Deluxe Challenger, 1930s Eversharp Gold Seal RingTop, 1940s Sheaffer Tuckaway, 1944 Sheaffer Triumph, Visconti Van Gogh midi, Esties!(SJ, T, and J),Cross Townsend Medalist & Aventura, 1930s Mentmore Autoflow, A bunch of Conway-Stewarts 84, Platinum 3776 Chartres Blue(med); Montegrappa Elmo (broad nib), Delta "The Journal" (med nib), Conklin Yellowstone (med nib)

Thanks for the little review, I've been wondering about these pens. As a fellow "pen-nut" I'll have to pick a few up to add to the hoard. Do you have any opinions on the ink colors?

Thanks for the little review, I've been wondering about these pens. As a fellow "pen-nut" I'll have to pick a few up to add to the hoard. Do you have any opinions on the ink colors?

The blue pen has a very nice blue/black ink. The black pen is a dark black ink that I find good to write with although my preferred colors are blue inks. The red has a light-red ink. I would prefer a darker red. They actually write like BIC pens when they first came out, but without the blob here and there :rolleyes: These pens have a nice weight and girth. Funny to talk about these pens when I am usually testing out pelikans and such! But a pen is a pen! Nice to see tv commercials about a new pen and writing comfort, especially in this age of typing on a keyboard! :thumbup:

I loved these InkJoy pens at first...I thought it was Papermate's little comeback after BIC was starting to lead the way with their bold tips and their "ultra" tips (the super smooth ones). I bought a bunch of them at my local Staples, then again at a local CVS. But the next day in class I saw I had ink all over my hands, desk, etc. I thought I brought a fountain pen with me! But it was the InkJoys. They leak like crazy! At least all the ones I bought did. Even right now I have one in a pencil cup near my desk and when I click it, there's a glob of ink that is blocking the opening partially. It leaked while it was standing in the cup lol.

As soon as they fix this issue, these pens might become my fave disposable ballpoints. Till then, Office Depot's stick pens and BIC's Ultra ballpoint pens are up on top (but it's not like I ever use them anyway lol).

I no longer own any fountain pens... Now they own me.

oooo wow! leaking!? :yikes: after my experience going to Paris and finding two leaky fountain pens in my flight bag :bawl: (thankfully in a ziplock), i thought at least the InkJoys would not leak! Maybe you got a defective batch? :eureka: But thanks for the heads up...i will be keeping my eyes open on the little critters :yikes:

I use the white 700 with blue and black refills, and they both blob occasionally. They are nice writers, but overall are not as nice as true gel/rollerballs I own.

I use the white 700 with blue and black refills, and they both blob occasionally. They are nice writers, but overall are not as nice as true gel/rollerballs I own.

Funny you mention this, I just tried another blue pen out of the pack and it is blobbing something terrible! It is making me eat my words! :ltcapd:

Funny you mention this, I just tried another blue pen out of the pack and it is blobbing something terrible! It is making me eat my words! :ltcapd:

I use the 700s for really casual, non-critical writing tasks, so blobs are only annoyances. I will not toss them just for that forgiveable sin. Actually, I don't discard any of my pens... unless absolutely irreparable.

For Papermate pens, I prefer the Profile line to the Inkjoy line. But I like Uniball Jetstream better than either of them. ;-)

TBH, I still love the Write Bros pens, as well as their lubriglide refills.

I no longer own any fountain pens... Now they own me.

The Papermate FlexGrip Ultra refills are nice to write with as well. I'm not sure which ink formulation they use, since I'm still on the original refills with mine.

I just went on a ballpoint and gel pen kick so now I have some of the InkJoy pens. They're nice-- I particularly like the InkJoy RT300 pens that have barrels in assorted colors. They write very smoothly.

Back about 13 years ago now, I had a Paper Mate ballpoint pen that I LOVED-- the Paper Mate Profile Slim in all-chrome. It used the Paper Mate Lubriglide refills and wrote crazy-smooth for a ballpoint. Unfortunately, Paper Mate discontinued the Profile Slim in 2004 and their current Profile line just isn't the same. I do like the Paper Mate Designs line but have been trying to find a refill for it with a larger tip size (1.0mm) because my OCD is apparently not limited to just my fountain pens :)

Paper Mate said that their Lubriglide metal *short* refills fit the Paper Mate Designs but they are like, the hardest refills to find apparently. The Lubriglide refills I usually find in the store or online are way too long for the Design's barrel.

I don't know, I've just been really nostalgic for pens I regularly used from 1998 to 2005, for some reason (i.e. the Before-I-Got-Back-Into-Fountain-Pens time).

Edited by Sonnet

Sometimes I write things (as of 2013

http://katesplace7.wordpress.com/

Back about 13 years ago now, I had a Paper Mate ballpoint pen that I LOVED-- the Paper Mate Profile Slim in all-chrome. It used the Paper Mate Lubriglide refills and wrote crazy-smooth for a ballpoint. Unfortunately, Paper Mate discontinued the Profile Slim in 2004 and their current Profile line just isn't the same. I do like the Paper Mate Designs line but have been trying to find a refill for it with a larger tip size (1.0mm) because my OCD is apparently not limited to just my fountain pens :)

Paper Mate said that their Lubriglide metal *short* refills fit the Paper Mate Designs but they are like, the hardest refills to find apparently. The Lubriglide refills I usually find in the store or online are way too long for the Design's barrel.

I don't know, I've just been really nostalgic for pens I regularly used from 1998 to 2005, for some reason (i.e. the Before-I-Got-Back-Into-Fountain-Pens time).

YES, they also made the Papermate profile non-slim. I think when Parker was purchased they decided the Profiles and

Jotters were too similar.//

Before the Lubriglide refills Papermate had the Powerpoint refills which had a plunger on the top that was suppose to pressurize the ink. I wrote with those all through college and cannot find a pen to this day that writes as fast, smooth and bold. The metal lubriglide refills are somewhat close...the point on the these refills still allows for a

low writing angle. It was these Profile pens and refills that got into pens in general. The ink technology of Papermate was always ahead of the quality of their pens.

For a while when Gillette owned Parker the Parker refills were converted to Lubriglide ink..the tip or point was also

tapered to make a thinner point..to allow for a steeper angle of writing. This got me into Parker pens..the Jotter

was closer to the old Profile writing experience. Alas, Parkers refills recently seem to have gone backwards..the tip/points are straight angles and no longer tapered. The new Quinkflow ink seems smooth, doesn't blob (which people complain about on the Inkjoy) but it is not bold.

Edited by rminj

I just went on a ballpoint and gel pen kick so now I have some of the InkJoy pens. They're nice-- I particularly like the InkJoy RT300 pens that have barrels in assorted colors. They write very smoothly.

Vintage Papermates are some of my favorites, since a green Malibu was my first "serious" pen in junior high school. I still have that pen, plus a SS Profile BP/MP set, and a third, unknown model. I also have 3-4 of the Design series pens, plus a couple discontinued Japanese Silhouette models, which is itself of excellent quality.

I am not terribly selective with the writing quality of Papermate refills. I use what I have, and most every pen writes well enough for me. :vbg:

A modern equivalent of the traditional Papermate pens (IMHO) is the Pilot EasyTouch Pro BP. The pen body and writing quality compare to the Malibu and Profile, with a rubber grip.

• 1 month later...

TBH, I still love the Write Bros pens, as well as their lubriglide refills.

The Parker Bold Refills (regular Quink refill..not the Quink flow refills) still use the Lubriglide ink

and seem closest to the old Profile Papermate refills in color and feel.

This is probably the best writing ballpoint refill for putting lots of ink on the paper and still being quite smooth.

My latest one is labeled France Quink 1.2mm

Unfortunately, Parker has decided to discontinue this refill (at least in the USA) in favor of it's Quinkflow refills. The blue medium seems thin and faint. I've tried them and so wish they sticked to the Lubriglide ink.