What is the most expensive pen in your collection

goodguy

What is the most expensive pen in your collection ?

Is that pen also the closest to your heart ?

My most expensive pen is my Parker T-1.

Never the less it is not my favorite pen,my MB 149 has that place safly secure.

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MYU

• alvarez57

• goodguy

• Doug Add

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think there's a subtle semantic difference between "most expensive" (the one that cost the most) and "most valuable" (the one you could sell for the most), so I'll mention both.

The most expensive pen I've ever bought was this Lox-Top Chilton Wing-flow that I bought from Gary Lehrer two years ago at the Philadelphia show (where I will again be in two weeks):

http://www.richardspens.com/images/collection/zoomed/wing-flow.jpg

But the pen I could sell for the most is this 1925 hard rubber Parker Duofold (images not to scale):

http://www.richardspens.com/images/collection/zoomed/bigred.jpg

The difference is that I built the Big Red from parts instead of buying it as a whole pen, and all of the parts except the nib came to me in a huge parts-lot purchase.

As for "dearest to my heart," that's a toss-up between THE "51", which is the pen whose looks and performance I most enjoy, and the Waterman's Ideal Nº 7 (Blue) that I inherited from my grandfather (more images not to scale).

http://www.richardspens.com/images/collection/zoomed/51_cedar_sterling.jpg

http://www.richardspens.com/images/collection/zoomed/idealno7.jpg

Edited by Richard

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

Guest PeteWK

I'll go with Richard and post the pen that cost me the most, the one I think I could sell for the most and the one that holds the most value to me. I don't use any of them.

#1 is my (recently posted in the Sheaffer section) 18k Sheaffer Imperial Masterpiece. To be fair, it did come with a matching BP Pen. This pen cost me the most.

#2 is a 14k Sheaffer Tuckaway Masterpiece. Its currently the only one known to exist so it would probably fetch a good sum at auction. This pen is worth the most.

#3 was my father's constant companion from the day he graduated college in 1953 until his death. This is my most valuable pen.

PeteWK

post-4-1168203595_thumb.jpg

My most expensive pen is an Omas Celluloid, because I bought it in AU where prices are simply not competitive.

My most rare (and probably most valuable pen) would be a 1925 Toledo pen from Kaweco & A.Morton. The barrel and cap have iron sleeves with intricate inlaid and hammered decoration in various gold alloys - the work is traditional Toledo work and not faux Toledo as with Pelikan.

My favourite pen would be the Nakaya Piccolo I bought recently. It edged out my Aurora Sole Mini LE from the top spot.

However, Richard will soon have some of my pens which need nib work. I might find a new favourite when they return. :)

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

The pen in my collection that required the largest outlay of cash was a Bexley Grand Finale, Sterling Silver Filigree overlay on black Ebonite. One of only 88 made. Comparable in size to a Waterman 58.

http://www.parkvillepen.com/images/bexley/grandfinale.jpg

Dennis B

Phthalo, can you post pics? I'd love to see what that 1925 Toledo Kaweco looks like.

I think Richard makes a great point. I can see why he bought that Chilton--gorgeous!

Probably my most valuable pen is a Pilot Namiki Capless Black Stripe. Very hard to find.

post-69-1167523377.jpg

A close second is my Pilot Bamboo Custom.

post-4-1167896001.jpg

My most expensive pen purchase was for a modern pen. I paid significantly below MSRP (such as is the tendency for limited editions), but now the going rate is slightly lower than that. I think the Aurora 80th Anniversary silver guilloche is beautiful without being over the top. Nice heft and size. Writes beautifully.

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Curses to you for this topic! A few years ago I broke my policy of "not buying pens more than ** amount" In my poor little brain I thought that it was just an exception to the rule. Now that you've brought this up and I thought about it, I realized that I've bought several pens since then that exceed my idea of what my pen limit should be. Since they are within $25 of each other I'll show them all:

First, the one that broke my price ceiling, the Parker Vac Jr. Golden Web

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/elainepnj/Pens/GoldenWeb.jpg

Second, a Columbus show purchase, a green marble(?) Vac with a factory flex stub.

(hmmm, I could have sworn I had a picture of this - I'll add it later). Super wonderful nib.

Third, Mabie Todd Eyedropper. I was not going to buy any pens at this show. Only sell. Oh well. There's no way I could have left this one. It would have haunted me forever.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/elainepnj/Pens/148_4873edited.jpg

Another pen that called to me, a Montblanc Mozart (baby size):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/elainepnj/Pens/MontblancMozart.jpg

Another one had my name on it. Almost literally! (My initials are engraved on it) It's a Waterman Baby Safety. Oops, I'll have to take a photo of this one. Will add later.

Now the question of whether or not any of these are my favorites. Right now the Green Vac is. I have a "one pen in rotation at a time" policy going right now, and this is the current pen. However at one time or another I have declared "this is my favorite pen" about many a cheapo pen. My daughter called me on that one day when she said "you say that about all your pens". I guess "favorite" is an elusive concept to me.

My most expensive pen purchase was for a modern pen. I paid significantly below MSRP (such as is the tendency for limited editions), but now the going rate is slightly lower than that. I think the Aurora 80th Anniversary silver guilloche is beautiful without being over the top. Nice heft and size. Writes beautifully.

I agree - and I bought one recently for maybe 25% of original release price. Such is the market for limited editions after the 'new' wears off.

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

I agree - and I bought one recently for maybe 25% of original release price. Such is the market for limited editions after the 'new' wears off.

Was that the Aurora 80th Anniversary? What seller did you buy from?

My most expensive pen is my modern Conway Stewart 100 but my favorites are my Pelikan 800 and 605. The CS 100 is an amazing looking and has one of the best nibs I've tried but for some reason, I rarely use it.

I wanted a green striped 800 for several years before I got one so having it means a lot to me. My 605 is my default pen; I never liked the way it looks but I rarely write with anything else. It is just too reliable and comfortable to use.

Ben

Picture borrowed from Swisher Pens

post-4-1168218064_thumb.jpg

Edited by Benjamin McFerret

The pen I paid the most for is a sapphire Namiki Impressions. I have paid more for others, but they have been sold or traded.

The pen that I could probably sell for the most is a 1924 oversize Sheaffer Flat Top that was expertly restored by Fountain Pen Hospital. It is also the pen closest to my heart, and here is why.

This pen was purchased new by the grandfather of a friend of mine over 80 years ago and it had been handed down to him. He sent it to FPH for restoration, and it honestly looks like a brand new pen.

Three years ago he gave it to me as an expression of our friendship. I was deeply humbled by the gift. He has given me other pens in the past, but the gift of this family treasure overwhelmed me. More than the gift I am thankful for our friendship.

My friend's 74th birthday is a week from Friday, and as usual I will write him a birthday letter with his grandfather's pen.

Edited by Doug Add

Interesting topic, interesting replies.

Sorry, I've no pics as I'm a couple of hours away from my pens and camera.

My most expensive pen(s) - probably a toss up between my Yard-o-Led Viceroy Barley Grand and Danitrio Densho Tamenuri. Both were retirement gifts and I'm guessing the YOL was as expensive as the Dani because it was purchased at Herrod's in London and probably with little if any discount.

My most valuable pen to sell; probably the OS RHR Greek Key pattern Wahl Signature - hard to say on that.

Dearest to my Heart? No Question - my father's Sheaffer Sentinel set he received for HS Graduation and my grandfather's Sentinel set that he carried every day - they are priceless.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

The pen I paid the most for is a sapphire Namiki Impressions. I have paid more for others, but they have been sold or traded.

The pen that I could probably sell for the most is a 1924 oversize Sheaffer Flat Top that was expertly restored by Fountain Pen Hospital. It is also the pen closest to my heart, and here is why.

This pen was purchased new by the grandfather of a friend of mine over 80 years ago and it had been handed down to him. He sent it to FPH for restoration, and it honestly looks like a brand new pen.

Three years ago he gave it to me as an expression of our friendship. I was deeply humbled by the gift. He has given me other pens in the past, but the gift of this family treasure overwhelmed me. More than the gift I am thankful for our friendship.

My friend's 74th birthday is a week from Friday, and as usual I will write him a birthday letter with his grandfather's pen.

That is maybe the most touching thing I have read in a long time.

Pearl's Blog: A Journey in Patience: Feline DIabetes

Feline Diabetes is a treatable condition.

<a href="http://www.felinediabetes.com" target="_blank">http://www.felinediabetes.com</a>

I am so happy to start this topic,it looks like many people here are very happy with there big bucks self bought presents.And beautiful pictures.

Respect to all

Doug, that was very touching to hear. That friend of your must be very dear, indeed. To have such a keepsake memory of one's grandfather, but to then give it to a friend because you know that he loves pens and would very much appreciate it--priceless.

My stepfather owns a Parker 51 that he received as a gift a few years after arriving in the USA (a survivor from the Nazi horrors of WWII). It's a nice burgundy vacumatic with a gold filled cap. Next time I see him I'll have to remember to check up on the date code. I imagine one day I shall inherit it. And you can bet it'll be a permanent part of my pen collection.

Until then, the previous owners of my vintage fountain pens will always remain a mystery to me.

MYU: Here is a picture of my Toledo. The condition works against it, but it is still a very rare and very interesting little item. :) There are a couple more images and some history in this thread about it.

http://www.ciar-roisin.net/photos/toledo/toledosnork.jpg

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection