Pilot Fountain Pens And Nibs

Pen2009

Thanks for the info. I have many fountain pens, but I especially appreciate the quality and craftsmanship in Japanese pens. Several Pilots are in my regular rotation. I need to take them to Japan some day to visit the museum!

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pen2009

• raging.dragon

• XiaoMG

• professionaldilettante

Thanks for the info. I have many fountain pens, but I especially appreciate the quality and craftsmanship in Japanese pens. Several Pilots are in my regular rotation. I need to take them to Japan some day to visit the museum!

Pilot's pen museum is very informative, to say the least. It also includes the time line of human history of "writing" along with a variety of makie pens from decades ago. During the weekday, you could ask a Pilot pen doctor to adjust your Pilot nibs. Fees (about JPY 1,000) may be applicable depending on your pen's condition and warranty status.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

Now I really have to make a pilgrimage to the pilot museum. $10.00 or so to tune up a pen is a good deal. I recently sent about 12 Pilots to Pilot USA for repairs. (I use my pens at work and they lead a hard life.) They were all repaired or replaced at no charge! Reason enough to buy Pilot pens. I also find their nibs to be almost perfect.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

In case some readers are curious about hana, tome, and harai stroke endings in Japanese (はね, とめ, and はらい), the character 永 on This page should hopefully clear it up.

For what it's worth, I write Chinese and find Pilot's marketing off-putting.

Robert.

XiaoMG, what exactly puts you off about Pilot's marketing?

For several years now I've practiced writing Chinese using a "Condor" nib from Richard Binder, which can make these strokes in a way resembling strokes produced by a brush. I wouldn't expect any typical fountain pen nib to be able to do that very well, even with varied pressure.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

XiaoMG, what exactly puts you off about Pilot's marketing?

For several years now I've practiced writing Chinese using a "Condor" nib from Richard Binder, which can make these strokes in a way resembling strokes produced by a brush. I wouldn't expect any typical fountain pen nib to be able to do that very well, even with varied pressure.

Just about any softer nib can easily produce strokes for "hard brush" calligraphy, and such pens have been around for a long time. Pilot's nibs do not seem to be any more specialized for Japanese or Chinese than, say, Waterman's or Pelikan's, or Conklin's, or practically any other brand for that matter. Even the vaunted (by Pilot) Elabo is rather middling that use, and there are a number of other pens that can do as well, if not better. Many of those companies are not Japanese and don't claim their products are specialized for Japanese writing. It reminds me of the Iroshizuku video where they like to pretend they're the first or only company to produce nonstandard color inks with the Iroshizuku line.

And for what it's worth with specialized nib shapes...Sailor has made some interesting nibs that can emulate brush patterns very differently than standard pens due to very different point geometries (and thus aren't really considered great for standard "hard brush" calligraphy), though Pilot makes no such products.

Edited by XiaoMG

Robert.