Best Vacuum Fill Fp

Cyclopentadiene

Hey all!

Here should be an interesting question for you. I was wondering what are people's favourite Vacuum filler FPs? Whether they be new or old I'd be interested in knowing what's out there as a newcomer to the area. I suppose I could search for it via Google, but I trust the opinions here! thumbup.gif

Many thanks to all,

Badger

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cyclopentadiene

• vondauster

• quinden

• NKessler

Top Posters In This Topic

The striped celluloid Sheaffer Triumph from the 1940s is my favorite. Nothing else looks or feels like them, and the ones I've had are wonderful writers. I especially like the desk pen version, but the "Valiant" oversized pen is fantastic too.

http://zobeid.zapto.org/image/pens/triumph_family.jpg

The striped celluloid Sheaffer Triumph from the 1940s is my favorite. Nothing else looks or feels like them, and the ones I've had are wonderful writers. I especially like the desk pen version, but the "Valiant" oversized pen is fantastic too.

That's quite a set! I really like the celluloid touch, it's a great design. It'd certainly take a while for me to get used to the pen stands, at least I think so.

I've heard of the Valiant when I was browsing before I was a member, definitely an option for me I think. I'll have a look at the price for one in good shape laugh.gif

Pilot Custom 823 is my vac-fill of choice. The Pilot nibs are smooth even for the fine and it holds a lake of ink.

Just had a wee look at that 823 from a review from a RyanL27 on FPN, looks like just what I'm looking for! Really love the blind cap ink cutoff.

The Visconti Bronze Age Homo Sapiens is my current favorite vacuum filler. Holds a huge amount of ink, feeds perfectly without the need to open the blind cap a la Pilot, writes beautifully, and is essentially indestructible.

I love my Sheaffers, but the vacuum mechanisms have not been good to me over the years, to the point that I now prefer the lever or touchdown fillers.

Will

-----------------

Will von Dauster

I love my Custom 823, but I have been eyeing some Sheaffer Vac-Fills as well - they look amazing!

Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

I like the Pilot 823, but love the Visconti double-reservoir vac filler, found in many of their LE pens.

Steve

I have a Visconti Homo Sapiens and a couple Pilot 823s. While the Homo Sapiens is a fascinating pen and the power filler is pretty good, the gusher nib prevents me from loving it. It just puts too much ink down on the page. However, the nibs on the 823s are excellent (I have a F and M) and make for better every day writers for me.

I love my Custom 823, but I have been eyeing some Sheaffer Vac-Fills as well - they look amazing!

There seems to be much praise for the 823! How's the flow on the fine or Medium nibs? I do a lot of diagram and equation work (at least at the moment), but don't want anything too scratchy.... I suppose I can't win with that tho' can I roflmho.gif

Edited by Cyclopentadiene

I actually like my TWSBI Vac 700 better than my 823. It came with a much smoother nib and feels more comfortable to write with, even with the big step in the section. The price is much more reasonable, too, so I feel fine using it on the road or in the outdoors.

I actually like my TWSBI Vac 700 better than my 823. It came with a much smoother nib and feels more comfortable to write with, even with the big step in the section. The price is much more reasonable, too, so I feel fine using it on the road or in the outdoors.

I've had a real good look at the TWSBI Vac700, I think that this'll be my December buy, unless I get the courage to risk getting an old Sheaffer!

The Value seems to be right on the button for me. What nib do you have? I ask as I've got a concern about the EF or the F being to dry.

Both the EF and F have been very dry in most cases right out of the box, but my F was perfectly wet. I definitely just got lucky, though, so don't count on the nib being wet right away.

The redeeming factor is TWSBI'S great customer service. Speedy has a great video about adjusting the flow of the Vac 700 and if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, you can send it in and have them do it for you. The adjustment is very easy to make on your own and works in both directions.

Replacement nibs aren't available from TWSBI yet, but they will be before too long. In the mean time, you can just get any Bock #6 nib and put it in without any trouble if you'd like to have a variety of nib sizes without buying multiple pens. My favorite thing about the Vac is its ease of use. Anyone can take the whole thing apart, clean it, put it back together, and make adjustments as needed. I really cant imagine a more tinker-friendly pen that doesn't actually need the tinkering.

Great to hear about the customer service being good, especially for a pen of that cost! I think I'll go for the F nib some time in October or November, It'll make a fine addition to my collection (pardon the pun, hehehe) laugh.gif.

The dissembly, or rather ease of it is a nice touch too vbg.gif. I could be wrong but it seems like more and more quality pens are getting that way (ease of maintenance etc.).

Hey all!

Here should be an interesting question for you. I was wondering what are people's favourite Vacuum filler FPs? Whether they be new or old I'd be interested in knowing what's out there as a newcomer to the area. I suppose I could search for it via Google, but I trust the opinions here! thumbup.gif

Many thanks to all,

Badger

Cp-

I don't have a picture but I'd go with one of the Sheaffer sub-brands such as a WASP.

-Cp*

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I'm very pleased with my 823. I also have a dozen or so Triumph nib Sheaffer vac fillers. Whatever difficulties associated with restoring the old Sheaffers are more than made up for by those incredible Triumph nibs.

I gotta go with the Sheaffers.

JLT (J. L. Trasancos, Barneveld, NY)

"People with courage and character always seem sinister to the rest."

Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962)

owning three oversize vac fill balances and one vac fill triumph, I say vac fill

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Pilot Custom 823 is my vac-fill of choice. The Pilot nibs are smooth even for the fine and it holds a lake of ink.

Agreed. Custom 823 is a fantastic pen and is a vacuum filler.

"Replying to Best Vacuum Fill Fp"

Not necessarily the best... .

Sheaffer and Wahl-Eversharp Dorics..cause I like 'em..

Fred

Colonel Yogi: Who's Doberman?

Sgt. Bilko: I don't know?

Colonel Yogi: Arrivederic Y'all!

I'm very pleased with my 823. I also have a dozen or so Triumph nib Sheaffer vac fillers. Whatever difficulties associated with restoring the old Sheaffers are more than made up for by those incredible Triumph nibs.

I gotta go with the Sheaffers.

No argument on the Triumph nibs - they are wonderful! Still have to go with the touchdown filler for less fuss...

Will

-----------------

Will von Dauster