Pocket Pens

faustulus

I am looking for a good pocket pen. I have narrowed the search to three likely candidates and would appreciate any input. I need one that doesn't use cartridges, since I don't buy them and don't want to refill them, that leaves eyedropper from what I can tell.

First up is the Kaweco classic sport. I have heard good reviews on this sight and it looks like an nice pen. With a price around $25 it is the cheapest of this list leaving more room for ink and such.

Next there is the Bexley Jitterbug (I refuse to add the exclamation point.) At roughly three times the price, this one falls into the middle of the budget (~$100). It has a clip, which is I understand something I can buy for the Kaweco, but since it is a pocket pen first and foremost it isn't really a consideration. It seems about the same length as the Sport. Bexley has a good reputation and I would probably order it from Binder so I know the nib will work good out of the box.

Finally there is the most expensive option, The Stipula Passaporto (which sounds likea bad Marx Brothers accent). It is the shortest of the three and the largest in diameter.

If I sent all three into the Thunderdome, which one would/should exit?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• faustulus

• pienaar

• Miles R.

• paolino_paperino

I just got a Ohto and it writes great ... I also have a Keweco Sport ...

The Kaweco holds more ink but the Ohto is a lot smaller ...

Good Luck

Good Luck

Do you mean the Ohto Tasche? I thought it was made of aluminium.

Good Luck

Do you mean the Ohto Tasche? I thought it was made of aluminium.

Hi. The Tasche is Aluminum (Fountain, Ceramic, Needle-Point, & Pencil) however I am not sure that it applies to this thread as it will require a cartridge (standard international short). If you get one, we will certainly appreciate it though!

TJ@OHTOAmericas

Disclaimer: I am with OHTO Americas -- I Try Not To Be Biased, But I Am Human.

OHTO Americas - Amazon Store

@OHTOAmericas

There is one more. The guy that makes them is on this forum. They are like a The Stipula Passaporto. But he has made the tail of the barrel threaded so you post your cap by screwing it on. I wish I could find a link as they are some of the prettiest things I have ever seen. Maybe some else will know who I am talking about.

Do not let old pens lay around in a drawer, get them working and give them to a new fountain pen user.

Since you included the Thunderdome qualifier, the Clear winner is the Kaweco.

IMO, The Bexeley and the Stipula are both a bit to prissy to emerge still standing from Thunderdome (or your pants pocket in the long run for that matter).

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Kaweco Sport has been sitting in pants pockets looking close to what they still look like since 1930. (Of course that was pre cartridge.)

Seems to have passed the test of time.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I've acquired a vintage, piston-filled Kaweco Sport. 80 years old and still going strong.

It holds less ink than a modern one, provided this last one is used as an eye-dropper, but you may find it more convenient. It's easy to find one on German eBay.

Edited by paolino_paperino

Kaweco Sport. I use cartridges but the design of the pen is just perfect for the use.

The only problems I had with it were that the gold color began to fade away from the clip and the body got scratched over time where the cap ends. But I did not expect a super pen at that price range and the writing is worth well over its price. Quite happy with it.

Verba volant, littera scripta manet.

My Parker Urban and Sheaffer Prelude are both nice looking, nice writing fountain pens.

There is one more. The guy that makes them is on this forum. They are like a The Stipula Passaporto. But he has made the tail of the barrel threaded so you post your cap by screwing it on. I wish I could find a link as they are some of the prettiest things I have ever seen. Maybe some else will know who I am talking about.

JEB's Pens, John E Brady, Personal Fountain Pen. jebspens.com Check it out. I have 3 pieces of his work, but not a PFP. I'm very pleased with the pens I got from him and am a repeat purchaser. Excellent design, artisan , hand made quality, beautiful material/colour choices. No affiliation, usual disclaimers apply, Jim

As always a day late and a dollar short.

Edited by jimhughes

Franklin Christoph also makes a pocket pen, but I think it sells for over 100 USD, so may be out of the running. I have both a Kaweco Sport and a Bexley J-bug. I love the Bexley. It has a big beautiful two toned steel nib and writes like a dream. The pen's finish is also quite beautiful. I have the Blues.in the Night model. It works very well as an ED fill. The only thing I don't like is that it does'nt post that well. If I really press down hard it stays put, but I worry about cracking the cap. I paid 75$ for it and would buy one again.

The Kaweco Sport is agreat little pen. Not as elegant as the Bexley, but for the difference in cost an outstanding value. It works well ED'd and writes very nicely. You might also consider the treansluscent Ice Sport as that would look very jazzy inked up. My wife has an orange one and loves it. I bought a Passaporto and returned it because it was defective, but that was a pleasing little pen to hold. Unfortunately I didn't get beyond that experience and bought another pen instead. For the money, you can't go wrong with the Kaweco.

Looks like the Kaweco is ahead. And as much as I love those Jeb pens, I suspect they are out of my budget for this pen (there are no prices on the website and I have learned that if you have to ask you can't afford it).

Ok I found the ones I was thinking of. Not my photo.

http://www.jebspens.com/fp_custom/pfp/cats-eye/pfp_cats-eye_uncap_lg.jpg

http://www.jebspens.com/fp_custom/pfp.htm

Beautiful pen. I currently use a Jitterbug (I have two) and love it as a pocket pen. But if I hadn't just bought the classic black version from Richard that Jeb's Pen would be on its way now (it may still find its way to me I suspect).

Post Script

I've used all 3. The Kaweco is my ck

Hoice, both as a writer and for pocket durability

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

And as much as I love those Jeb pens, I suspect they are out of my budget for this pen (there are no prices on the website and I have learned that if you have to ask you can't afford it).

+ Pi

Those little guys are completely cool.

It's probably for the best I just don't check on the prices. :embarrassed_smile: Ignorance is bliss. Laa Laa LaaLaaLaa...

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

I have a Passoporto in my pocket right now. They are great and very reliable. But I also very much like the Kaweco Sport. I think in terms of functionality, they are equivalent. However, the Kaweco is much less expensive. But then the Passoporto, IMO is prettier - pay more for a pretty Italian than for a functional German?

Erick

Edited by langere

Using right now:

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Montegrappa Elmo 02 "F" nib running Ferris Wheel Misguided Mistletoe

Pilot 845 "F" nib running Noodler's Cayenne, Narwhal New York "F" nib running DeAtramentis Cyan Blue-Copper

I have both a Kaweco (actually I have about four of them) and a Passaporto which is from the FPN LE run and I like them both.I use carts but others report no problems with ED use.I like the Kaweco because I can see the ink level, it is relatively inexpensive so no worry about loss, and the nib selection is pretty good.

I recommend starting with the Kaweco and if you really like a pocket pen, move on up to one of the others.

I have a Passoporto in my pocket right now. They are great and very reliable. But I also very much like the Kaweco Sport. I think in terms of functionality, they are equivalent. However, the Kaweco is much less expensive. But then the Passoporto, IMO is prettier - pay more for a pretty Italian than for a functional German?

Erick

The old Porsche/Ferrari debate