Acme, good nibs?

jofpn1236

Has anyone tried Acme fountain pens? I like their fun designs on the outside, but don't know much about their nibs. I also read that their pens are convertible from fountain to rollerball. Is this true for all pens?

If their nibs are good, then where do I buy them from online? US, preferably.

Thanks.

P51 demi, P51 full size, P reflex, Pilot VP blk carbon, M200 gray, M200 blk, 2 Pelikanos, 3 Lam Safaris, 1 Lam Studio SS.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jofpn1236

• rroossinck

• Ink Stained Wretch

• MikeLip

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one Acme fountain pen. IPG. Steel nibs that write decently though stiff. Ink feeder seems reasonably good. But I think the appeal is more in the packaging, having been designed by legendary and recent artists/architects/designers.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Got two, both great, good writers, fit the hand well--okay, MY hand--nib is smooth and solid, no hesitation. I have the FLW models. He is no relation, but what the heck, I approve of his designs and lifestyle...

Bill

Hmmm. I'm starting to get interested. I have $50 cash, a gift from Christmas. I think these pens sell for $70.

I do like the FL Wright models also. (at first I was thinking who the heck is FLW?)

So, do all the pens convert to rollerball as well? Do they all come in the package? And where can I get a good selection with the best price?

I know mikelip mentioned swisherpens.

P51 demi, P51 full size, P reflex, Pilot VP blk carbon, M200 gray, M200 blk, 2 Pelikanos, 3 Lam Safaris, 1 Lam Studio SS.

Sam Fiorella carries a few at Pendemonium. I wrote with one of her custom ground cursive italics, and it was terrific. A little heavier than I was expecting, but a great writer, that's for sure. I want to say it was marked at $80?

*Standard disclaimer - not affliated, just a satisfied customer.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

I got mine from Swisher Pens as well. I ordered it as a fountain pen. It came in the box/metal container as a roller ball with a single refill. Included in a separate small box was the FP nib unit (I ordered a medium) and ink converter. I just unscrewed the RB tip, screwed in the FP unit and it was ready to go. I have used both the converter and cartridges with no problem. It is a heavier pen, but I prefer that. I have never used the roller ball section, but I didn't throw it away. :P

I bought an Acme rollerball as a gift for someone this last Christmas. At the last minute, I decided to order the fountain pen conversion kit for it, to give the person both options. I got it, and decided to test it out, just in case. It installed very simply, with no hint of a problem. But for some odd reason, half the nib section got stuck in the pen cap and came off when I removed the cap! The silver part just separated from the black threaded part. I don't see how these are supposed to stick together, other than by some kind of pressure fit.

Because this was at the last minute, I attempted to repair it. In the process of doing that and investigating the pen cap sticking problem, I managed to separate the nib and section from the body of the nib unit, and never did get them back together in a functioning fashion. Since I was pressed for time, and I didn't feel comfortable returning a product I'd tried to modify, I just tossed the thing.

It didn't help that the Acme converter was easily the poorest operating one I'd ever seen. I've run out of tolerance for this brand. I'd take any of Waterman's lower-end pens over any Acme, any day. Even a Phileas.

I will check out both Swisher and Pendemonium. As an aside, I would like to comment on Pendemonium's website design. Sometimes, I have a hard time navigating through their site. It could use a redesign, I thought.

The weight of the Acme as mentioned might deter me, but I'm still curious. I need to hold this in person, unless you can compare it with another brand to at least have something for reference.

Thanks folks.

I'd take any of Waterman's lower-end pens over any Acme, any day.  Even a Phileas.

Huh? Even a Phileas? What's wrong with a Waterman Phileas? They're really good pens!

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell