Private Reserve Tanzanite

mhphoto

Here's my review of Private Reserve's Tanzanite, which I'm pretty sure is just a pre-diluted PR Purple Haze.

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/PrivateReserveTanzaniteMedium.jpg

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/PrivateReserveTanzanitePensUsed.jpg

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/PrivateReserveTanzaniteHunt.jpg

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/PrivateReserveTanzaniteObservations.jpg

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/PrivateReserveTanzaniteComparisons.jpg

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/PrivateReserveTanzaniteShading.jpg

Not a bad ink, but if I wanted a similar shade I'd go with Noodler's North African Violet.

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• torstar

• jgrasty

• georges zaslavsky

• mhphoto

Very nice and complete review! One of my favorite inks.

Erick

Using right now:

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Montegrappa Elmo 02 "F" nib running Ferris Wheel Misguided Mistletoe

Pilot 845 "F" nib running Noodler's Cayenne, Narwhal New York "F" nib running DeAtramentis Cyan Blue-Copper

I've always loved that shade of purple. Is this ink the fast dry version, or the standard one?

Alas, my first bottle of Tanzanite got a case of SITB, but I recently got a bottle of Tanzanite fast dry and no issues so far.

Isn't it interesting how different manufacturer's perception or interpretation of a 'colour' associated with a 'name' vary?

fpn_1332952503__pelikan_edelstein_tanzanite.jpg

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Great review! I'm into the color and water resistance factor of this ink. I've never really gotten deep in the PR line but I might have to make an investment in this ink.

This is a favorite for me. But my older bottles are more blue than your review shows on my monitor. A very wet ink, so those who prefer drier nibs should avoid this one. Love what it does in my 3B nibs. :thumbup:

One of my faves.

It is overflowing and sloppy and mixes great with my scrawl of a handwriting, smears all over the page.

Even your awesome review captures the wildness of it.

I like this one, but it's not a go to ink. It works well in ink mixes.

Pray tell what you are mixing this great ink with?

Always open to new mix and dilution recipes...

This is a favorite for me. But my older bottles are more blue than your review shows on my monitor. A very wet ink, so those who prefer drier nibs should avoid this one. Love what it does in my 3B nibs. :thumbup:

The fast dry version is not as wet, which is good as it works in pens that would gush ink with the standard version.

May I ask why you prefer North African Violets to PR Tanzanite? I have tried NAV and I love the color. I am curious what the downside of Tanzanite is?

He came down from heaven and was made man.

fpn_1305512260__inkdroplogofpn.jpg member since May 15th, 2011

Alas, my first bottle of Tanzanite got a case of SITB, but I recently got a bottle of Tanzanite fast dry and no issues so far.

I have purchased two bottles over the past two years and both had or developed SITB. I love the color, but it is the only ink where I've experienced this problem. I am currently using cartridges without any problems, but I will probably try a bottle again.

I helped index the the 1940 US census

I have purchased two bottles over the past two years and both had or developed SITB. I love the color, but it is the only ink where I've experienced this problem. I am currently using cartridges without any problems, but I will probably try a bottle again.

None of the 13 Tanzanite bottles emptied had that problem.

I guess SITB is random and can strike at any brand, the 4 so far lost to it were not PR.

I guess SITB is random and can strike at any brand, the 4 so far lost to it were not PR.

I really like this ink, but I don't think I will go through 13 bottles in my lifetime. Are you painting with it?

All I want is 1 more pen, and 1 more bottle of ink, and maybe 1 more pad of paper. Well, at least until tomorrow. Oh yeah, and throw in that bottle of single malt. Is that asking for too much?

thanks Chris.

• 2 weeks later...

very nice and sober color :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I really like this ink, but I don't think I will go through 13 bottles in my lifetime. Are you painting with it?

Weaving my tale of woe with it.