Looking For A Thick, Fat Journal...

Jadie

Sigh! I really, really want a book that has some good contents/index pages, numbered, and hard-bound smythe sewn journal that is wider than the typical 5-1/2 inch journals. So far this as been a very expensive search.

Yes, I wonder why they don't make notebooks like that. The closest I've found had a table-of-contents section, numbered pages, and wonderfully thin lines...but it was a lab notebook, and not the most fountain-pen-friendly book in the world. (It was also too thin, alas...)

Your Tsubame notebooks look very appealing. I especially love the name--it means "swallow"* in Japanese, right? How poetic. Now if only they had the cover and the notebook on the same website. :P

*Edit: The bird, not the verb.

That's my understanding of the translation of Tsubame--to mean "swallow". My first experience of "laid" paper and I absolutely love it! :cloud9: :bunny01: Not for everyone...the paper is firm, does not cushion the nib and it does have a tactile feedback. I wouldn't call it toothy. I like how the ink color is expressed too and how the ink lines remain sharp. I wouldn't try to compare this to paper that has a smooth surface. It's just a different writing experience.

I agree about lab notebooks and still have a few from my days as a chemist. But honestly they ended up regulated to the pile of notebooks that really have no purpose or provide any specific service. I'm afraid I've been terribly corrupted since discovering FPN. :ninja:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mm1624124

• Jadie

• FLZapped

• UncleJoe420

If you want American made, you might look at li'l old New Mexico. Renaissance Arts in Santa Fe makes a ton of journals and will custom make one for you for a reasonable price. I have a black combination messenger bag and Circa notebook and it is incredible. For what they do, I think they are a bargain.

Take a look at their website.

http://www.renaissance-art.com/

Edited by Doug C

the Danitrio Fellowship

Sigh! I really, really want a book that has some good contents/index pages, numbered, and hard-bound smythe sewn journal that is wider than the typical 5-1/2 inch journals. So far this as been a very expensive search.

Yes, I wonder why they don't make notebooks like that. The closest I've found had a table-of-contents section, numbered pages, and wonderfully thin lines...but it was a lab notebook, and not the most fountain-pen-friendly book in the world. (It was also too thin, alas...)

Your Tsubame notebooks look very appealing. I especially love the name--it means "swallow"* in Japanese, right? How poetic. Now if only they had the cover and the notebook on the same website. :P

That's my understanding of the translation of Tsubame--to mean "swallow". My first experience of "laid" paper and I absolutely love it! :cloud9: :bunny01: Not for everyone...the paper is firm, does not cushion the nib and it does have a tactile feedback. I wouldn't call it toothy. I like how the ink color is expressed too and how the ink lines remain sharp. I wouldn't try to compare this to paper that has a smooth surface. It's just a different writing experience.

I agree about lab notebooks and still have a few from my days as a chemist. But honestly they ended up regulated to the pile of notebooks that really have no purpose or provide any specific service. I'm afraid I've been terribly corrupted since discovering FPN. :ninja:

"Laid paper", hmm...sounds like the Exacompta sketchbook paper. I filled up one before I got my Paperblanks---it felt nicer to write with M nibs or wider on it. And the Exacompta loooved showing sheen in inks when I wrote with a dip pen.

I remember thinking the experience was like...walking on a forest trail compared to a stroll on the sidewalk. Earthy and organic, kind of. XD

Nowadays I use lab notebooks to take notes in class, haha. And I agree about FPN being a corrupting influence---honestly, I wouldn't have half the stuff I have today if not for reading other people's excellent ink/pen/paper reviews.

Maybe we should petition for a new notebook design---there's got to be other people who feel the same way.

--

Doug C: Thanks for the info on the Renaissance Arts notebooks. I've heard of them, but I wasn't sure if the paper was fp-friendly. Since they work for you, that's a point in their favor for me.

FLZapped: Yes, I've seen the Epica journals too. They're a lovely thickness, but waaaay too expensive for me. At that price I feel tempted to just buy a giant stack of paper and make my own journal like UncleJoe420. XD (It's just that I'm too busy and lazy to actually do that, haha.)

David R. Munson: The Miquelrius notebooks -do- sound pretty appealing. Do you have a link to the 600 page one? I've only seen the 100 and 200 page ones---though I didn't check the spiral-bound ones, because in my experience, spiral notebooks like to catch on lots of things. D= I'll keep looking until I find it, though, if you can't recall the link....

topendoodle/tenney: Went searching and found a recent review of the Zenquez on June 13, 2011 at this blog and a 2010 FPN review here. Seems like it's a bit hard to find in the US?

Thanks everyone for all your input. Maybe I should just buy them all and try them in turn. :ph34r:

Sheen junkie, flex nib enthusiast, and all-around lover of fountain pens...

These aren't SUPER fat but they're fat compared to say a moleskine. It has 156 "leaves" so approx 312 if you count front & back? I have purchased one of her journals before and they're very high quality. The leather smells wonderful (doesn't everyone smell their leather?). Anyway it's a nice paper and a nice journal, handmade and very well put together.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/DancingGreyStudio?ref=seller_info

here's a pic of one of her journals, she has small, med, and large sizes

http://www.etsy.com/listing/80863715/handmade-leather-journal-red-with-dark?

Have you ever checked Leuchtturm 1917 journals?

They have all the features you are asking for and the paper is really good. I have recently acquired dot and blank versions of both A5 (5.8 x 8.3 in, called 'Medium', 249 pg) and A4 (8.3 x 11.7 in, called 'Master', 233 pg) sizes. Master Notebook comes with 100 gsm paper whereas Medium has 80 gsm paper. I could only test Master Notebook so far and it’s not bad at all.

P.S. I’m going to post some comparisons between these Leuchtturm 1917 journals and Rhodia Webnotebooks here as soon as I receive my new A4 size Rhodia Webnotebooks. So it’s going to be a head-to-head test in both sizes, A5 & A4.

Regards,

Halid

Have you ever checked Leuchtturm 1917 journals?

They have all the features you are asking for and the paper is really good. I have recently acquired dot and blank versions of both A5 (5.8 x 8.3 in, called 'Medium', 249 pg) and A4 (8.3 x 11.7 in, called 'Master', 233 pg) sizes. Master Notebook comes with 100 gsm paper whereas Medium has 80 gsm paper. I could only test Master Notebook so far and it’s not bad at all.

P.S. I’m going to post some comparisons between these Leuchtturm 1917 journals and Rhodia Webnotebooks here as soon as I receive my new A4 size Rhodia Webnotebooks. So it’s going to be a head-to-head test in both sizes, A5 & A4.

I have given Leuchtturm journals serious consideration especially the Master journal. I've hesitated because of the mixed reviews of the medium journal paper and couldn't find one for the A4 size. I'm **slowly** learning that not all journal/notebooks are equal within a brand.

Looking forward to the comparison. I have some exposure to the Rhodia Planner (meh, nothing I'd buy again) and Circa Rhodia for Levenger (great paper, I love it).

Folks - (this post is bringing me out of lurker status - as I had exact same wishes as OP)

Not the most common place to look for a journal - but give the Lee Valley Tools Everyman's Journal a look. Cloth-backed hard bound, acid free, 400 pages, Smyth-sewn, lightly lined, numbered pages, index, page index, page marker ribbon, 8" * 9-3/4", $19.00 and change. My wife gave me one of these as a gift, love it (and her). I've had no issues with feathering or bleed through using Lamy and Pelican cartridge inks, Noodlers bottle (Ebony Black, Hunter, Luxury Blue, Fox, Bulletproof Black) and most recently Platinum Carbon Black bottle laid down with Lamy Safari (F), Pelicano (M), Kaweco Sport, and Rotring Artpens (F,EF). Only issues with a bit of bleed through have been very wet cheapo off the shelf Pilots (M) (hate to admit I use the last one - but sometimes you just need a writing stick). The edge of page drop off issue mentioned above does come into play - but I mainly ignore it for having a decent page size that's bigger than 5-1/2" of typical journals. Looks nice with other tomes on bookshelf to boot.

Link here:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=32477&cat=1,46096,46132

An aptly named journal. And it even has an index page! Plus 400 pages, and the ability to lay flat (at least from the pictures), all for under $20?

Okay, this one is going on the short list asap. Thanks for your input!

Edit: Anyone recognize the model of the fountain pen in the picture? Looks to be something small and cute...

Edited by Jadie

Sheen junkie, flex nib enthusiast, and all-around lover of fountain pens...

Folks - (this post is bringing me out of lurker status - as I had exact same wishes as OP)

Not the most common place to look for a journal - but give the Lee Valley Tools Everyman's Journal a look. Cloth-backed hard bound, acid free, 400 pages, Smyth-sewn, lightly lined, numbered pages, index, page index, page marker ribbon, 8" * 9-3/4", $19.00 and change. My wife gave me one of these as a gift, love it (and her). I've had no issues with feathering or bleed through using Lamy and Pelican cartridge inks, Noodlers bottle (Ebony Black, Hunter, Luxury Blue, Fox, Bulletproof Black) and most recently Platinum Carbon Black bottle laid down with Lamy Safari (F), Pelicano (M), Kaweco Sport, and Rotring Artpens (F,EF). Only issues with a bit of bleed through have been very wet cheapo off the shelf Pilots (M) (hate to admit I use the last one - but sometimes you just need a writing stick). The edge of page drop off issue mentioned above does come into play - but I mainly ignore it for having a decent page size that's bigger than 5-1/2" of typical journals. Looks nice with other tomes on bookshelf to boot.

Link here:

Must give this a go. Just ordered one. I'll let you know how it turns out. I generally use fine to medium nibs, so crossing fingers and hoping...

Epica has the answer....

Worlds Largest Journal

And just in case you think that might be too much, there is also this one:

Worlds Thickest Journal

See you in Miami this weekend?

Call 1,000 pages thick? Don't mean to boast, but I've made one with 4,000 pages... Took me awhile though... Lol

Did you have to stand on a chair to write in it????

• 2 weeks later...

Link here:

Folks,

Reporting back after purchasing a journal from Lee Valley Tools. Can't promise pics, but if ambitious this weekend will try.

First, the construct is very similar to Levenger's Ledgerdomain book. I like that! Levenger: Ruling that goes across the entire page with a wide, red-lined vertical margin down one side of the page. The margin is on the opposing sides of the page for opposing pages. This allows for sidebar comments/notations without interfering with the main body of thought. Lee Valley's: The ruling stops about 1/2-inch before the edge of the page on the left and right sides. There is no vertical margin line separating the ruling. Instead there is a 1/8-inch space that creates a 1-inch "section" for other notes, etc. The section is on the same side for opposing pages--left side. Levenger has a wider top margin for titles, dates, etc. and is paginated on the top corner. Lee Valley has a wider top margin and provides a long and then short line for user notations. It is paginated on the bottom corner and the numbers are subtler. Both are hard-backed section sewn--very sturdy. Lee Valley has 380+ pages with a generous front index. Levenger has 200 pages and no index. Levenger has a classier exterior look and feel. Lee Valley includes a hokey diatribe about journal and copyright info on the inner leaves--frankly dimishes the whole purpose of the book. Since the purpose of the book is not for inner, personal thoughts or experiences I can ignore the Lee Valley branding.

I'm discovering my tastes and preferences for journals are guided by the writing experience where paper rules over all else in making my decision. So what is the paper like? Well, in can't compare with Epica, Clairefontaine, Rhodia, G. Lalo, or any of the Japanese notebooks. However, it could be a second running mate to the Apica 6A10 for surface writing and general performance. Apica 6A10 is all recycled paper so has a rougher, more absorbent texture. 6A10 out shines Lee Valley in bleedthrough and spread by a slight margin. Lee Valley does pretty good though. I'd rank it in the B- category simply because there is bleedthrough, the ink line will spread and sometimes be mistaken for feathering due to the fiberous nature of the paper. Overall, Lee Valley took the fine/medium nibbed pens well with no showthrough and miniscule bleeding. I even tried my Parker flex that is very wet with the nastiest bleeding ink I have. Yes, it failed for bleedthrough, but the other ink/pen combinations were satisfactory. Not great, but good to very good. The paper is absorbent so even inks that tend to take forever to dry simply don't. I expect to be able to write furiously and flip a page without smearing or smudging.

The book does not lie entirely flat, but I would not expect it to for the type of binding involved. The way it is ruled compensates for the "hump" in the middle. Ruling is roughly estimated to be 7mm. I can't recall the paper weight but it is substantial and similar to Levenger's.

Overall, for me, this book is a keeper. Both Ledgerdomain and Boorum & Pease failed me on the paper. One simple trial with a dry, fine nib and well behaved ink for both and they were given away immediately--the bleeding, outright feathering and ink line spread were too much to be forgiven. Lee Valley's paper is not the best, but it's not the worst in as far as I have tried not just one ink/pen combo but several before the paper utterly failed. It wins with the hard-backed smyth sewn binding and the overall interior design of the pages. Unless some other manufacture can give me similar design and construction with better paper, my search is over. In the meantime, I'll be encouraging Lee Valley to improve their paper quality every chance I can.

Now to order a nice renaissance art journal cover. :P

Edited by mm1624124

Epica has the answer....

Worlds Largest Journal

And just in case you think that might be too much, there is also this one:

Worlds Thickest Journal

See you in Miami this weekend?

Call 1,000 pages thick? Don't mean to boast, but I've made one with 4,000 pages... Took me awhile though... Lol

Did you have to stand on a chair to write in it????

Heck, I still got to put a cover on the danged thing!! Hehehe :P

"Is this thing on??"