How Wide Do You Like Your Paper Ruled?

krbmsw

81 members have voted

1. 1. What size ruling do you prefer?

• 10mm
    • 8mm (just shy of American wide-ruled)
    • 6mm (just shy of American narrow-ruled)
    • 5mm
    • None at all. I prefer blank journals.
    • Seyes ruled

The Book Factory (no affiliation) replied to an inquiry of mine stating that they are working on a fountain pen friendly journal. They specifically asked what I like in terms of rule width. This got me curious as to what others like. Personally I prefer a minimum of 8mm.

Edit--I changed the poll for those who aren't familiar by measurements.

Edit--Seyes ruled per request.

Edited by krbmsw

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

— Dr. Seuss

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• krbmsw

• TMLee

• BeachBum

• celesul

I have no idea what rule I prefer in millimeters.

Most composition books are "Wide Ruled" which is MUCH too wide for my taste. I would rather have something in the "College Ruled" size ... even smaller would be nice, then I could practice my fountain pen writing using two lines.

What size rule is the Rhodia lined notepad? I'd like it that size or even a bit smaller WITHOUT the ugly wide margin on the side.

"You have to be willing to be very, very bad in this business if you're ever to be good. Only if you stand ready to make mistakes today can you hope to move ahead tomorrow."

Dwight V. Swain, author of Techniques of the Selling Writer.

I prefer a narrow rule (about 5mm). I absolutely *hate* ruling as wide as 8mm, though it looks like I'm in the minority. My writing isn't tiny, but I find there's so much wasted space on wide-ruled paper, and you can't fit much on a page. Most lined notebooks are ruled so wide that I have to pick plain instead, but I like lined because it keeps my writing neat. No matter what the ruling though, it shouldn't be really dark. It's one of my gripes with the lined moleskines (and the squared ones) that the dark grey lines are far *too* dark, and I don't see the need for it.

It's funny how our tastes change. I used to love extra fine pens and narrow rule. I've moved on to broads and stubs and wide rule. I loved the rule in the old Habanas (8mm). I bought a Webbie and struggle to like the narrow rule (5mm) and slightly smaller page size. It just feels cramped to me.

Technically wide ruled is around 8.7 and narrow ruled is about 6.5. I suppose I should have used those measurements when I set up the poll, but I was thinking about Clairefontaine and Rhodia measurements.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

— Dr. Seuss

8 mm is what Staples' Bagasse composition books have, and it works pretty well for me. When I started going back to FPs, I wrote smaller, with a finer nib. I've grown to enjoy the wider lines of medium, stub or flex nibs to show off the inks I have discovered. Has anyone else found this trend in their own changing writing style, or is mine an unusual instance?

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

I prefer narrow rule, at the most 5mm. BUT... if I like the paper, I'll ignore the rule and double up, so I prefer light lines.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Where's the Seyes rule option?

Added. Forgot all about French rule. I don't think I've seen anyone use it in person but I understand it has its advantages. :thumbup:

— Dr. Seuss

I answered 5mm. If interested, one can experiment with quite small increments at www.incompetech.com. It'll let you play around with differences as small as a quarter-millimeter, if I remember correctly. You can find a pretty precise "fit" for what you prefer.

7.1 mm - College Ruled. Hate wide ruled and any smaller and you can't read my writing.

Erm. So, I have a lot of use for every one of these. If I'm writing anything where I want the writing to look gorgeous, elegant, and flowy, then wide ruled (8mm-10mm) is best. For note-taking, nothing beats narrow or college ruled (6mm-7mm). For math, a 4mm-5mm grid is ideal. And for handwriting practice (mine tends to need it, because I get wretched scrawl without practice. I had the worst handwriting some of my high school teachers had *ever* seen), Seyes ruled is great. It's also best if you're trying to learn a new hand. And, naturally, for the very most formal cards, I use unruled (which I draw wide ruled lines on, and then erase them after finishing my writing). Unruled is obviously also best for art.

...I might have a paper problem. :unsure: But I usually just make do with college ruled and blank. College ruled is perfect for my speedy, inelegant writing, which is how I usually write.

Edited by celesul

7mm

(becos 5mm is too small and 8mm is too wide)

And

in light grey dots please, spaced apart at say 3mm.

... 671 crafted ... one at a time ... ☺️

instagram

My preference is college-ruled, so I voted for the 6mm width. I always use fine or extra-fine nibs. Wide-ruled is just way too much for me.

Unruled is absolutely out of the question. My hand-writing is so atrocious that if I write on an unruled journal, it looks like I was drunk by the time I finish the page. :embarrassed_smile:

“All growth depends upon activity. There is no development physically or intellectually without effort, and effort means work.” ― Calvin Coolidge

Blank and preferrably in loose sheets that I can then print whatever lines I want, should I want them, at whatever ruling I choose. Otherwise, if I have to have lined, I prefer a fairly narrow ruling. Maybe 5-6mm.

1/5 inch (a tad more over 5mm) is what I print to use at work.

In my journal, I use 1/4 in, and seyes rule.

I used to love extra fine pens and narrow rule. I've moved on to broads and stubs and wide rule.

I don't think that narrow rule has to require fine nibs. It depends on your writing style. I have a broad VP nib with a BLS Pendleton point and using a compact writing style (James Pickering's book hand) I find that I like using 5 mm grid ruling most of all.

Edited by cellmatrix

Prefer 5mm for school and work so that I can be neat and organized.

Prefer blank for my journal so that I can scribble freely.

I often use Seyes rule paper, but when I don't, I either use guide sheets or, when that isn't practical, I print my own paper: very faint lines every 2mm (it almost looks like laid paper). The minuscules are 2mm, the ascenders and descenders are 6mm, and majuscules are whatever strikes my fancy. I add no extra space between lines except at paragraph breaks, where I add an extra 2mm.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

I've used blank paper for a long time but I started using home-made dotted paper at 5x5mm

Printing those is something for unlazy people so instead I got myself a page with very visible black 5x5mm squares and I put that behind every blank page I have. I get a faint outline of the grid that I can use as a guideline but the paper itself remains blank.

My Pilot Falcon does ok with 5x5 but it does feel a bit cramped with the 1.1mm stubs or bigger that I have. So I'm going to make a few 6x6 and 7x7

8x8 feels too big imo.

I use Clairefontaine trophee coloured paper in 80g with a 160g page behind it. It also doubles as a bookmark :3

>8[ This is a grumpy. Get it? Grumpy smiley? Huehue >8[

I tend to ramble and write wallotexts. I do that.

I've used blank paper for a long time but I started using home-made dotted paper at 5x5mm

Printing those is something for unlazy people so instead I got myself a page with very visible black 5x5mm squares and I put that behind every blank page I have. I get a faint outline of the grid that I can use as a guideline but the paper itself remains blank.

My Pilot Falcon does ok with 5x5 but it does feel a bit cramped with the 1.1mm stubs or bigger that I have. So I'm going to make a few 6x6 and 7x7

8x8 feels too big imo.

I use Clairefontaine trophee coloured paper in 80g with a 160g page behind it. It also doubles as a bookmark :3

Do you think you could share those guide papers? @_@ I am in serious need of help writing in a straight line on blank paper