Lamy Safari Colours

macthemaths

Joys are my desk pens. I just change nibs to suit the need for a particular treatment. I don't need a base. In fact, I'm not keen on the constant nib down position for these pens. They might need some feed tweaking and a new nib size...or section redesign.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hans-Peter Ording

• bphollin

• menick

• Uffuffa

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, I am new to FPN, I am a Lamy pen collector and sell some of them on eBay.

I just try to list out all the colors I know for the Safari and AL-Star fountain pens.

Vista:

Transparent (Also known as Clear or Demonstrator)

For the sake of clarity, there is a Safari demonstrator that is not the same as the Vista.

The Safari demo is quite scarce, and should not be confused with the common (but nice) Vista.

Regards, greg

Safari Demonstrator on top and Vista below it. The Safari Demo also has a black nib instead of silver color.

fpn_1317861304__demovista.jpg

I got a couple of PMs about the Safari Demo. I don't know the age, but the barrel end is marked "Germany" and the black screw holding the clip looks to me like it's plastic. I bought it as part of a lot of several pens, thinking it was just a common Vista, I was really after a couple of the other pens in the group.

fpn_1317952879__demo1_sm.jpg

fpn_1317953021__demo2_sm.jpg

I got a couple of PMs about the Safari Demo. I don't know the age, but the barrel end is marked "Germany" and the black screw holding the clip looks to me like it's plastic. I bought it as part of a lot of several pens, thinking it was just a common Vista, I was really after a couple of the other pens in the group.

You managed to get what is probably the least common / most valuable Safari there is. Your pen appears to be the older version of the two different demonstrators that I have seen. From the pictures you posted the cap screw looks metal to me. That would match the rest of the features of your pen.

I posted pictures of my two demos along with a Vista here. Older demo on the left (like your pen), newer demo in the middle and Vista on the right.

Thanks for posting the pictures. I searched for a long time before I found one of these pens - yours is only the 4th or 5th that I know of.

/Woody

I , too, have the original demonstrator. There's a brass female receptor inside the cap which is circular... 4 the black plastic X button to screw into. The rest is id'l to the pic above. My nib is a black medium+... without inscription. My complete Safari & Joy lineup is a busy working gp. I have multiples of the, now hardly attainable, d/c'd subset....incl. their " coffin cases". The pic, granted, has a demo + one Vista. The center pen looks to be a "frankenpen". The clear top of the cap, where the button resides, is too tall for the issue. Although the button might be black and all the rest original...if you examine the exposed threads on the barrel, there r too many of them....and the black seal ring is almost exposed...there is no overhang as in all other issues. That part might b from a rb or cap part from an old bp? Knowing the German penchant for precision, I think it might be a non- original issue. I only know of two clears produced to date.S, manfs. Can someone give a reason why there isn't a Lamy Safari/ Demo/ Vista/Joy/ Al-Star Forum ? Certainly, the ongoing interest in Lamy's pens are as much a part of pen Hx... as say some of the pedestrian issues that already have their own following on FPN... aye? Note, the only metal X-screw issues, I've been able to discern, are the Savanah green, Terracotta, and Alpin White, all 3 with black clips and nibs. I think Lamy already went to plastic buttons when the demonstrator was issued. Notably, they r all too glad to use up d/c'd parts in repaired pens when the fit is OK.....although it compromises the pens originality....as an issue. I also put in newer inner liners to make the really older issues functional again....of course I saved the old inner cap liners.....silly me. The frail white plastic whatever it's composition, craps out very easily over time and use, and Lamy doesn't want to replace the cap liners after x years , the # varies and depends on who u talk to....although, the co.boast a lifetime warrantee. I guess lifetime has a different meaning to certain groups....lol.

Edited by SnowLeopard

You managed to get what is probably the least common / most valuable Safari there is. Your pen appears to be the older version of the two different demonstrators that I have seen. From the pictures you posted the cap screw looks metal to me. That would match the rest of the features of your pen.

Yes, I see the brass inside the cap like the older picture you have. I am not going to risk taking the cap apart, because I already decided to sell the pen. Though it's a nice pen, it's not that special to me.

Edited by Alohamora

I have a special edition "Coffee Brown" Al-star FP.

http://image.rakuten.co.jp/atn/cabinet/lamy/lamy-439.jpg

round-letter-exc.pnground-postcard-exc.png

The Safari...the beanie baby of fountain pens

I'm still waiting for a Savannah reissue or something (anniversary pen?)

Ha! Yesterday my wife looked at my pile of Safaris and said, "You're worse than my mother with those d$%m beanie babies."

Ha! Yesterday my wife looked at my pile of Safaris and said, "You're worse than my mother with those d$%m beanie babies."

ahhh.. thought I was far too tired to smile, much less snorty laughter..

full-on grin.

during the beanie "craze", my co-workers had, (real), maps with , and fan-out plan to acquire Each, and Every new release.

they thought I was absolutely nuts to be hunting old buttons.. cool.gif

jury is still out..

have an old blue, and grey safari - now winging to me in the mail.

perhaps? there might be a surprise or two at the MI Pen show tomorrow - someone moving up to deluxe apartment in the sky, pens??? : )

entirely forgot it started todaydoh.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Just thought I'd share a couple of recent observations...

Firstly, the colour of the Lime 2011 seems to be a very slightly richer shade than the 2008 version, which appears ever so slightly pasty in comparison. Of course these colours do have slight variance between runs anyway so that observation may not absolutely hold true every time. I thought I'd post this as a point of interest because, as has been noted many times before, similar can be said for the difference between the shades of the original 2004 Flame and the 2009 commissioned Flame (run by a well-known USA penshop) in that the original was consistently a slightly warmer shade of orange compared to the re-issue. Interestingly, the reissued Flame actually has exactly the same shade of orange as the Special Edition orange of 2010 (the one with a chrome clip).

Secondly, the clip of the recent Japan/Germany "Friendship" issue is a completely different shade of yellow to the rather rare Swedish Safari. The yellow of the Japan/Germany clip is a very clear mustard shade (actually quite similar to the mustard yellow body of the old black-clipped pens). However, the yellow of the Swedish clip is almost flourescent in comparison (even brighter than the "refreshed" yellow body of the newer chrome-clipped pens). This I thought was important to post for Safari collectors because the blue barrel of the Swedish Safari is exactly the same shade of dark blue as the standard dark blue issue pen. So, if anyone spots a "Swedish" Safari out in the wild, be careful that it is the true issue rather than a Frankenpen utilising the yellow clip from the Japan/Germany issue swapped onto a standard blue... Thought I'd post this observation because I would suspect that a Swedish Safari would command quite a frenzy of bidding amongst international Safari collectors if it ever surfaced, correctly advertised, on an auction site.

That being said, I guess it would also be important to watch out for a red clip (such as from a Joy) being swapped onto a standard orange special edition as this would resemble the Flame reissue (it would not, however, have the correct shade to resemble the original Flame)...

Just my tuppence worth :)

...I wonder what next year's colour will be... :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Just thought I'd share a couple of recent observations...

Firstly, the colour of the Lime 2011 seems to be a very slightly richer shade than the 2008 version, which appears ever so slightly pasty in comparison. Of course these colours do have slight variance between runs anyway so that observation may not absolutely hold true every time. I thought I'd post this as a point of interest because, as has been noted many times before, similar can be said for the difference between the shades of the original 2004 Flame and the 2009 commissioned Flame (run by a well-known USA penshop) in that the original was consistently a slightly warmer shade of orange compared to the re-issue. Interestingly, the reissued Flame actually has exactly the same shade of orange as the Special Edition orange of 2010 (the one with a chrome clip).

Secondly, the clip of the recent Japan/Germany "Friendship" issue is a completely different shade of yellow to the rather rare Swedish Safari. The yellow of the Japan/Germany clip is a very clear mustard shade (actually quite similar to the mustard yellow body of the old black-clipped pens). However, the yellow of the Swedish clip is almost flourescent in comparison (even brighter than the "refreshed" yellow body of the newer chrome-clipped pens). This I thought was important to post for Safari collectors because the blue barrel of the Swedish Safari is exactly the same shade of dark blue as the standard dark blue issue pen. So, if anyone spots a "Swedish" Safari out in the wild, be careful that it is the true issue rather than a Frankenpen utilising the yellow clip from the Japan/Germany issue swapped onto a standard blue... Thought I'd post this observation because I would suspect that a Swedish Safari would command quite a frenzy of bidding amongst international Safari collectors if it ever surfaced, correctly advertised, on an auction site.

That being said, I guess it would also be important to watch out for a red clip (such as from a Joy) being swapped onto a standard orange special edition as this would resemble the Flame reissue (it would not, however, have the correct shade to resemble the original Flame)...

Just my tuppence worth :)

...I wonder what next year's colour will be... :thumbup:

You're right.

Compare between Flame and 2009 Orange (which you said 2010 Orange) seem so hard just by eyes, but if you take the photo, the difference is easy to recognize.

Here is my photo:

post-72626-0-66042200-1321465794.jpg

post-72626-0-47490300-1321465823.jpg

By the way, could you please explain more about Flame in 2004 and 2009? I only know 2004 Version.

Best Regard.

• 5 months later...

I got my Lamy Apple Green 2012 colour Safari today from Cult Pens, UK.

But it came in a blister pack. I wish Lamy would make special packings for the special edition colours.

Do you know where can I find a flame?

eBay at this point. There's a cohort of sellers that list repeatedly at a price that's IMHO high. Then occasionally, an individual will list one for whatever the market will bear (i.e. low starting bid). Seek out the latter.

I got my Lamy Apple Green 2012 colour Safari today from Cult Pens, UK.

But it came in a blister pack. I wish Lamy would make special packings for the special edition colours.

Congratulations on your Apple Green.

Yes it would be nice to have a Special or Limited Edition box even if it is a different colour to the usual one.

I've noticed some sellers have blister packs (a UK pen shop among others)and others the slotted grey box. Is that due to geographic distribution ?

sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink

http://i44.tinypic.com/2d6umop.jpg

From left to right:

2012 Apple Green

2011 Aquamarine

2010 Pink

2009 Orange

2008 Lime

2007 White

2006 Blue-red

(here goes the flame :( )

Shiny Red

Yellow-black

Griso Grey

Charcoal

Lovely collection. I just want to ROYGB that, though. :)

http://i39.tinypic.com/21liu84.jpg

Edited by malpei