Lamy Safari Colours

macthemaths

My Ocean Blue & Raspberry Al-Stars arrived today (a UK seller had them on Ebay for a very reasonable £11 each). The raspberry one is a much warmer red than I was expecting, - more strawberry than anything else. Nice though. I blame this thread for my current Pokemon attitude towards Safaris and Al-Stars. I used to be quite happy with just the one.

And here's something else I've been fretting about. Why is it that the pale blue Safari is the only one which has a circular cap button? All the others have a cross on the end ...

John

Hi John,

I think the Flame has a round button, too. Has to do with the red clip, methinks.

Kath

Why, sometimes I'd like to take a switchblade and a peppermint and a Cadillac and throw it all in a fire.

Danitrio Fellowship

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hans-Peter Ording

• bphollin

• menick

• Uffuffa

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My Ocean Blue & Raspberry Al-Stars arrived today (a UK seller had them on Ebay for a very reasonable £11 each). The raspberry one is a much warmer red than I was expecting, - more strawberry than anything else. Nice though. I blame this thread for my current Pokemon attitude towards Safaris and Al-Stars. I used to be quite happy with just the one.

And here's something else I've been fretting about. Why is it that the pale blue Safari is the only one which has a circular cap button? All the others have a cross on the end ...

John

The orange (i.e. flame) also has it.

Don't know why!

I want to start a thread with all models and all details about each... but lack the time at the moment.

nick

For sale: nothing!

Looking for: money!

To Buy: Visconti Titanium Skeleton, Omas Ogiva Demo (HT Piston filler), Stipula Etruria nuda, other demos :P

How is the special FPN Lamy Safari edition coming along? Any luck?

Friends,

Sorry for the belated response. I have checked with the local Lamy rep, who incidentally also set up the deal for the Blue and Yellow version. With a minumim order of 200 Lamy will deliver any combination of standard colours. A special FPN colour is thus not possible but an FPN combination of body, end plug and I assume clip (as the "swedish" version version had a yellow clip I guess that there are some additional freedom here - I will investigate - black and chrome are the only standard clip colours at the moment and I would hope that a bit more flexibility in the choices are available).

I would expect that different colours on cap, body and section is possible but I personally do not see any attractive combinations in that.

P.,

Go Strand Go!

You can put pressure by saying we are the freaks buying all the old ones on ebay for too much money, helping the hype that makes them sell...

:P

To Buy: Visconti Titanium Skeleton, Omas Ogiva Demo (HT Piston filler), Stipula Etruria nuda, other demos :P

I got my Savannah Green and Terracotta pens today, plus he threw in two White pens for free. All for $50.00

Boy am I happy. Except for the new Lime Green and Raspberry Al-Star, I'm done.

Skip

Concerning the ebay seller who made offers on the side, just wanted to let you know the output. I'm the one who asked the question to ship to canada (question that was on the item page). He had offered 2 savanna and 2 terracotta for 20 euro, shipped to Canada.

Got the 4 pens today! So unless he went halfway, the other who did transactions, you should expect them shortly!

Congrats on your sumgai spoils! :)

Skip Williams

www.skipwilliams.com/blog

I got all excited at my pen store because the saleswoman had one (hers) with a gold/brass clip. Turns out she put paint thinner on it to try and get an ink stain out and it took the paint off the clip. It looked really cool, though. Doh.

Kath

I haven't been on here for ages - quite a shame really since I've missed everyone so much... but I digress. Does anyone know where I can see some photos of the Raspberry Al-Star? I certainly don't need another Lamy, but this color is pretty tempting! A Google search came up dry so I'm hoping that one of us can shed some light on the situation.

Thanks so much!

Mike

Flow good, ooze bad!

Mike

John

Lol, I missed that comment on your previous post, blaming this thread for your "current Pokemon attitude towards Safaris and Al-Stars".

Hahaha :roflmho: My nephew has an encyclopedia of all the Pokemon creatures. It's an ingenious way of not getting tired of the characters, I guess Lamy and Pokemon do have similarities!

JetPens.com - Japanese Pens and Stationery

http://www.jetpens.com/images/jetpens_logo.gif

Find us on Facebook and Twitter.

Well yes, that's just the way it's got me. Back in the 1980's I bought the smooth charcoal edition (without the little ears* on the converter and the well, smoothness) and thought I was hip for resisting the 'cheap' green 'n' orange. How wrong I was.

Because the differences are subtle, I wonder if my smooth charcoal 1980's pen may turn out to be the rarest of them all....

John

*now revealed to be a Lamy obsession

ProfMike, please see my post(#125) on page 9 of this thread for a photo of Raspberry :)

Re: round (?) top of red clips...I've heard a rumor that red clips are parts from Lamy Joy (calligraphy pen).

Well yes, that's just the way it's got me. Back in the 1980's I bought the smooth charcoal edition (without the little ears* on the converter and the well, smoothness) and thought I was hip for resisting the 'cheap' green 'n' orange. How wrong I was.

Because the differences are subtle, I wonder if my smooth charcoal 1980's pen may turn out to be the rarest of them all....

John

*now revealed to be a Lamy obsession

Hi John,

I would love to see a picture of your smooth charcoal Safari. I noticed in Hans-Peter's master list that he says early pens are smooth and later ones are textured. I have a very early charcoal safari which is textured. I know it is an early one because it came with the color-matched crate case, the old press-bar converter and has no "Germany" stamp in the bottom. Is your pen stamped?

I also remember the green and orange sitting next to the charcoal when I bought my first Safari (textured charcoal) and I couldn't bring myself to buy one of the "loud" colors. :headsmack:

/Woody

Edited by haywoody

Yeah, the savanna green must cost much more than the army green!

I had the incredible luck to get a savanna green one for $ 8,50 including shipping. The seller offered "Buy it now" and probably didn't know what it's worth.

Regards

Hans-Peter

There one on eBay now. Bidding is up to $48: http://cgi.ebay.com/Lamy-Safari-Fountain-P...tem310032651068

Seller claims it doesn't appear to have been used, but the picture of the nib doesn't look too good.

Ouch!!!!!!

It just ended at US $142.50

Hans, you made a real deal at 8.50!

nick

I was the crazy one who paid $142.50 for that pen on eBay! I agree that the price was high but it wasn't for me. Vintage Safaris are really hot in Japan right now... a NOS Terracotta with no box or converter went for just over $200 on Yahoo.jp a few weeks ago. I bought the Savannah pen for a friend in Japan and he feels like he got a great deal. There it is probably worth twice what he paid.

The pen was actually in quite nice shape. It had been filled once or twice and left to sit so there was ink dried around the nib. It cleaned up easily and looked good as new. The crate case had a small tear but was otherwise in great shape... and it came with the old press-bar converter.

/Woody

Yeah, the savanna green must cost much more than the army green!

I had the incredible luck to get a savanna green one for $ 8,50 including shipping. The seller offered "Buy it now" and probably didn't know what it's worth.

Regards

Hans-Peter

There one on eBay now. Bidding is up to $48: http://cgi.ebay.com/Lamy-Safari-Fountain-P...tem310032651068

Seller claims it doesn't appear to have been used, but the picture of the nib doesn't look too good.

Ouch!!!!!!

It just ended at US $142.50

Hans, you made a real deal at 8.50!

nick

I was the crazy one who paid $142.50 for that pen on eBay! I agree that the price was high but it wasn't for me. Vintage Safaris are really hot in Japan right now... a NOS Terracotta with no box or converter went for just over $200 on Yahoo.jp a few weeks ago. I bought the Savannah pen for a friend in Japan and he feels like he got a great deal. There it is probably worth twice what he paid.

The pen was actually in quite nice shape. It had been filled once or twice and left to sit so there was ink dried around the nib. It cleaned up easily and looked good as new. The crate case had a small tear but was otherwise in great shape... and it came with the old press-bar converter.

/Woody

Mmmm... smuggling old safari japan for fun and profit! Sounds like a plan!

:P

nick

About the custom FPN Safari project, what about a shiny black one with a red clip. It would remind me DarthVader

http://e8.img.v4.skyrock.com/e8b/soradu25/pics/481738351_small.jpg

and the match with the white "Stormtrooper" one would be perfect :

http://uk.gizmodo.com/stormtroopers.jpg

:happyberet:

Edited by el3ssar

About the custom FPN Safari project, what about a shiny black one with a red clip. It would remind me DarthVader

I'd buy one or three. Being a Gator I wouldn't mind blue with an orange clip either :rolleyes:

~Brian

"Mostly I just kill time, and it dies hard." - Raymond Chandler (The Long Goodbye)

That was the 1977 limited edition. You mean you didn't pick one up!!!??? You are welcome to borrow my time machine when it is back from the shop...

:) ... cap from a Lamy Joy stuck on the black LE. You can build your own and fulfill your need for the 1.1 and 1.5 nibs at the same time!

/Woody

That was the 1977 limited edition. You mean you didn't pick one up!!!??? You are welcome to borrow my time machine when it is back from the shop...

:) ... cap from a Lamy Joy stuck on the black LE. You can build your own and fulfill your need for the 1.1 and 1.5 nibs at the same time!

/Woody

I tought the Lamy Joy cap was black with an orange trim... But it definitely looks red on your picture !

http://forum-images.hardware.fr/images/perso/roi.gif

This custom is perfect !

So I'll stick on my previous idea for the custom FPN Safari, ie a pink safari !

/Woody

I tought the Lamy Joy cap was black with an orange trim... But it definitely looks red on your picture !

http://forum-images.hardware.fr/images/perso/roi.gif

This custom is perfect !

So I'll stick on my previous idea for the custom FPN Safari, ie a pink safari !

Hmmm... white with orange trim... go vols!

P.,

Pennshoppen - quality pens, inks and paper

Pennshoppen - www.penshop.se

Reservoarpennor - Reservoarpennor.se

Bloggen - Pennshoppens blogg

On facebook and twitter as well @pennshoppen

I wish one could buy Safari and AL-star "bits" to allow us to assemble them as we wish. I guess one could to an extent. I want the bright aluminum AL-star, but with the bright metal clip rather than black...

Doug

I wish one could buy Safari and AL-star "bits" to allow us to assemble them as we wish. I guess one could to an extent. I want the bright aluminum AL-star, but with the bright metal clip rather than black...

Doug

You mean, like here : http://lamyusa.com/alstar3.html ? :)

Edit : actually it's not what your looking for, since the cap won't match your pen color...

Edited by el3ssar

Just wanted to add my support for a custom FPN Safari.

I'm definitely in for two and maybe more if it comes to pass.

Can I be so bold as to suggest a fresh thread for those who are serious about subscribing to such an edition if the member making the original suggestion is still prepared to look into organising it?

I am open to any of the ideas so far but a "Darth" (gloss black / black nib / red clip) in Lamy packaging (as opposed to built out of pieces) is my narrow favourite so far.

This thread is not good for my wallet but great for my motivation to work on my collection.

Thanks to all!!

Edited by DuncanIdaho

"When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes."

Erasmus, (1466 - 1536)