Don't Just Tell Us About The Pen You're Using, *show* Us!

OcalaFlGuy

Most flexible nibs are found on vintage pens of all makes and models (and prices). They are usually 14kt gold, but I have some 18kt semi-flexible nibs on my French made Waterman Gentleman pens made in the 1970s and 1980s. There are also some Noodler pens (the Ahab and several others) with flexible nibs, a modern pen that is fairly inexpensive ($20 here in the US).

As a long time Calligrapher, I adore mine, because I can quite easily write script that it very pretty and don't have to fuss with a dip pen, making my own ink, etc. It is a very deliberate writing style, I can't write "normally" with my full flex nibs, they flex too easily. It's like writing with a piece of cooked pasta.

Don't push your wee pen too hard or it will rebel and your non or semi-flexible nib will teach you a lesson. This is an example from a Waterman 3V with a full flex nib, a lever filler from the 1930s that I got for $50 here on FPN about a year ago. I have managed to get pens on eBay for less than $50, but some have not been "keepers".

fpn_1415337441__image.jpg

I am lefthanded. The wide part of the letters result from applying pressure to the point of the nib on the downstroke, and the thin lines are the upstrokes with as little pressure as possible.

YES, YES, THAT!, THAT THERE, I WANT IT, ME, ME, ME.

All joking aside.

I can get noodlers pens here in the Uk for around £20, but they all seem to be f-med nibs? is this the norm, as I would prefer something a bit broader.

I'll also be trawling ebay for a flex job, with a view to spending "the christmas money" when I get it.

My christmas list has changed several times in the last week or so, especially now that I want a pen with a flex nib.

Thanks Sinistral1, you are a gent.

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• tringle

• Uncle Red

• dcpritch

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ah, make that a gentle woman and you'd be right! If you are handy with a Dremel or metal files, check out the "Ease My Flex" threads here that give instructions on how to modify the Noodlers flex nibs to be way more flexible by removing some material. It's a fun way to start the process and adventure into flex writing.

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

Ah, make that a gentle woman and you'd be right! If you are handy with a Dremel or metal files, check out the "Ease My Flex" threads here that give instructions on how to modify the Noodlers flex nibs to be way more flexible by removing some material. It's a fun way to start the process and adventure into flex writing.

Please accept my humblest apologies. :blush:

I'm sure I could manage, I'll get onto the ease my flex threads right away.

Next stop, the Ahab shop...

Thanks again

You are a "poppet" ;)

Ian

I'm using this interesting Wahl-Monitor pen. I find the brown and black celluloid quite beautiful, and the design of the clip and cap is charming. It looks rough, but still works very well. Recently resacced. :)

img_0440.jpg?w=634&h=634

10367132_10153472356048868_1055591799917

Looks GREAT!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I like the dark colors. What is the ink you are using?

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

I love the story... did you post that in the Inky TOD about the long and inky road?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

So, this is Kar-E-Inky.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/slides/20141117_115644.jpg

Beautiful as always... what ink?

I love the story... did you post that in the Inky TOD about the long and inky road?

Did you mean me...? Or who?

I have missed that thread. Sounds interesting.

Did you mean me...? Or who?

I have missed that thread. Sounds interesting.

Inky T O D - How Did You Get Started On The Long And Inky Road? Merged With Your Inky Journey?

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/262754-inky-t-o-d-how-did-you-get-started-on-the-long-and-inky-road-merged-with-your-inky-journey/page-2

I've been working lots but had a chance to be out in our ridiculously cold weather, and I had with me a late 1920s Wahl RMHR and a journal filled with Tomoe River paper. The ink (not seen here) is Sailor Jentle Ink Tanna japonensis, which I love!

fpn_1416342350__img_1395_736x1024.jpg

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

OHMY... what is that white stuff????

For those of you who thought he wouldn't behave and I couldn't take a picture while he was behaving - here is Charlie the Betta. What do they say about a fish in the hand? BTW, for some reason it rotated the photo 90 degrees to the left.

fpn_1416190683__image.jpg

OOPhoto - your writing looks like it was done on a computer, such a steady and beautiful hand!

Amber, that white stuff in David's photo is why I take baby steps when I'm outside for about six months each year. Picture Tim Conway as the white haired old man in the Carol Burnet Show. I go slower than that. Otherwise, I could fall and go boom.

Edited by Sinistral1