Don't Just Tell Us About The Pen You're Using, *show* Us!

OcalaFlGuy

fpn_1407874206__img_0312_742x1024.jpg

fpn_1407874702__montblanc_we_nib_compari

fpn_1407874830__montblanc_we_nib_compari

Amberlea, the stub on the Sheaffer Legacy is one of Sheaffer's finest nibs, I think (and its not just me, others share the opinion). It is crisp with sharp corners like an italic nib and has a bit of spring due to it being 18k, which in my experience "takes the edge off" the sharp corners and makes the writing experience smoother. The OBB on the Parker 75 Premier is another great nib, and fun to use, though because of the oblique angle it takes some getting used to. That is why you are noticing a "finicky" spot when you write, because the oblique angle requires a more exact, consistent writing angle at all times. Once you get accustomed to it the finicky spots seem to disappear. The Parker OBB nib isn't nearly as sharp on the corners as the Sheaffer stub. Does that make sense?

Thier, what a great find! If you listen closely you'll be able to hear little gasps and noises associated with envy, directed your way from around the world! :D

Troy, I have a Gold Starry safety pen in RMHR I've been meaning to ink and show you. Sometime soon, I promise.

OOO --- learning all the time.

And your anniversary gifts are all stunning.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• tringle

• Uncle Red

• dcpritch

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/slides/20140812_125721.jpghttp://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_1170.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

A few weeks ago, I've found a box full of beautifull nibs and bought it for nearly nothing.

fpn_1407874762__dscn0703.jpgfpn_1407874803__dscn0702.jpgThis morning, I took one out of the box and put it on my Jinhao 159. Woaw, it's just another pen : that good old gold nib is one of the most flexible I ever had .... Compared to the original stuff, it's from black to white !!!!!

As soon I have a day off, I will try the others on different pens ....

Nice purchase! I like the vintage nibs much more than modern nibs.

Troy

fpn_1407874206__img_0312_742x1024.jpg

fpn_1407874830__montblanc_we_nib_compari

Amberlea, the stub on the Sheaffer Legacy is one of Sheaffer's finest nibs, I think (and its not just me, others share the opinion). It is crisp with sharp corners like an italic nib and has a bit of spring due to it being 18k, which in my experience "takes the edge off" the sharp corners and makes the writing experience smoother. The OBB on the Parker 75 Premier is another great nib, and fun to use, though because of the oblique angle it takes some getting used to. That is why you are noticing a "finicky" spot when you write, because the oblique angle requires a more exact, consistent writing angle at all times. Once you get accustomed to it the finicky spots seem to disappear. The Parker OBB nib isn't nearly as sharp on the corners as the Sheaffer stub. Does that make sense?

Thier, what a great find! If you listen closely you'll be able to hear little gasps and noises associated with envy, directed your way from around the world! :D

Troy, I have a Gold Starry safety pen in RMHR I've been meaning to ink and show you. Sometime soon, I promise.

Amberlea - Vintage pens! yea!

Jodyw - :W2FPN: Really like the MOP panels.

@Uncle Red

Thank you kindly for the flattering comment on my hand.

The Ink is MontBlanc 90 years Perm Gray :) Rapidly becoming one of my favorites

Please excuse my lack of a handwritten post, I am mobile and I wanted to respond before I forgot :)

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Okay, I rewrote this at least five times...I'm never satisfied...
I've 'practiced' a capital 'A' for hours and I just couldn't get it right...and now I'm sad...

http://kepfeltoltes.hu/140813/P1210595_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Edited by attika89

I am not the neatest writer in the world. I really haven't used cursive since high school (in the 80's if your wondering lol) .. So I am really trying to work on it a little. If you can't read it, I will be happy to translate it for you. :D

(I write small, so let me also just type it out):

Uncle Red,

Yes, I was bit pretty badly by the fountain pen bug. I will say that most of my pens aren't very expensive, but as I keep looking and reading .. the prices keep climbing.

I did know there have been several lefty presidents of late. On the whole, being a lefty isn't bad ... but choices of paper and ink have to be considered.

Today's Pen:

Monteverde Imressa

With a F NIB Inked with 54th Massachusetts

by Noolder's Written on custom printed

WhileLines paper on

HP 24lb Laster Jet Paper.

post-114982-0-21287200-1407952743_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jodyw

Thank you, Uncle Red! They really feel great in my hand and write very fine with no pressure, which means they're good for work AND for fun :)

Today:

http://i60.tinypic.com/wsv8f5.jpg

I had a rough weekend and have been doing a lot of tutoring, and seeing this pen every time I go to my local B&M pen shop has left me haunted by pretty ebonite ripple for hours afterwards... so, I figured Monday was as good a time as any to break down and buy this! It's a very wet writer for sure, much wetter than my Nib Creapers, but I am really enjoying it. A real pleasure to write with. I am 3 for 3 re: Noodler's pens, now!

Thank you! :)

BTW, I think it is a color you would like.

Uncle Red, I really like that Papier Pecan ink. Who makes it?

Thanks Attila, they are far nicer than I deserve. :blush:

fpn_1407967052__gold_starry_safety_800x1

Ink is Noodler's Cayenne

fpn_1407967079__gold_starry_safety_1_102

fpn_1407967095__gold_starry_safety_2_102

fpn_1407967115__gold_starry_safety_4_509

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

So, I still don't know what makes a "safety" pen different from any other pen. I asked before, but think all the safety pen owners were ignoring me and looking at my inks. :P

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_1179.jpghttp://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/slides/20140812_174351.jpg

Gift from kids at summer camp.... they found time to go shopping for mom.

They left on the price tag and used my credit card too, but that's okay, it was within their budget.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/slides/20140813_160915.jpghttp://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/slides/20140813_160959.jpghttp://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/slides/20140813_161023.jpg

Amber; Safety Pens were an early attempt to prevent leaks. The nib retracts into the barrel and the cap fits tightly over the opening. When you unscrew the cap you put it on the base and push or twist the nib into position. Here are pictures of my Moore safety.

2012-08-05%2B20.50.06.jpg

2012-08-05%2B20.51.11.jpg

2012-08-05%2B20.52.16.jpg

So, what is it and did they over pay? Can it be made to use FP ink?

Amber; Safety Pens were an early attempt to prevent leaks. The nib retracts into the barrel and the cap fits tightly over the opening. When you unscrew the cap you put it on the base and push or twist the nib into position. Here are pictures of my Moore safety.

2012-08-05%2B20.50.06.jpg

2012-08-05%2B20.51.11.jpg

2012-08-05%2B20.52.16.jpg

Oh like those horrible lipstick fountain pens?

and

THANK YOU!