Don't Just Tell Us About The Pen You're Using, *show* Us!

OcalaFlGuy

A new pen but a gel tip.....

fpn_1405735844__img_5518.jpg

Did they send the car that goes with it?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• tringle

• Uncle Red

• dcpritch

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did they send the car that goes with it?

No I wouldn't mind if they did either!

CALLIQUE! YES! THANK YOU! I have the same problem. I thought maybe it was just me and I just held my pen differently than everybody else and did not know it. It's funny, the Safari's are very popular and this is the first mention I've seen about the nib not lining up "right". It does not line up "right" for me either!

Sharkpie, now we've mentioned it, perhaps others will come out of the woodworks and say the Safaris don't suit them either? There is a reply from Saskia where she suggests a solution.

I discovered something when I was trying to fix the flow on my Lamy Safari. If you remove the nib, you can wrap some duct tape or scotch tape around the feed, and then remove it. If you wash out the feed, that improves the flow dramatically. BUT ... a side benefit is that when you put the feed back in, you can change the rotation in the grip. Put the nib back on and see if you like it better. If not, remove the nib again, remove the feed again, rotate it a bit, and then insert everything again. Repeat until you're happy with the angle!

Hi Saskia, thank you for your information. I wrote back to the seller of the pen who told me the feed was not removable and therefore that I would not be able to adjust it. I did have a little try at moving it but it seemed quite firm in there and I didn't want to break anything. So you just turned it and it eventually came out??

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q485/Occipital_Lobe/Pens/Inked/IMAG0370_zpspu9nccih.jpg[/urlhttp://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q485/Occipital_Lobe/Pens/Inked/IMAG0369_zpszuo088kn.jpg

Tested three pens today and came back here after a long break. Hope you like these low cost pens.

fpn_1405877980__img_0003.jpg

fpn_1405877950__img_0002.jpg

fpn_1405877923__img_0001.jpg

Edited by sanyalsoumitra

Sanyasoumitra,

I really like the look of your Parker 65. I can't say that I ever had one of those. I recently filled my demi Parker 51 '47 Vacumatic. Oh, what a joy it is to write with this pen. I have loved it since we first met! Your hand writing is well done and very readable, for me. Better than some who post, which is why I hide mine away.

I'd like to hope that the whole world is feeling the same sentiments you mention on your third paper/pen combo! Yes, the world seems to be tearing itself apart at the seams. Why can't we all just get along?

I love this thread and some day I'll get brave enough to actually post a picture of my scribble

Fair winds and following seas.

Tested three pens today and came back here after a long break. Hope you like these low cost pens.

fpn_1405877980__img_0003.jpg

fpn_1405877950__img_0002.jpg

fpn_1405877923__img_0001.jpg

Excellent review of your pens!

photo+%25288%2529.JPG

Hello everyone... Forgive the question but what do you call this script? It looks amazing!! will that look decent using a non flexible nib?

Hi Saskia, thank you for your information. I wrote back to the seller of the pen who told me the feed was not removable and therefore that I would not be able to adjust it. I did have a little try at moving it but it seemed quite firm in there and I didn't want to break anything. So you just turned it and it eventually came out??

No, you don't need to turn the feed. It's not like a Pelikan that needs rotation. You put the duct tape on the tip of the feed, right where the nib you removed used to sit, clamp your index finger and thumb on the top and bottom of the feed (on top of the duct tape, of course), and then just pull directly out. I know it can be tight, but it really does come out. If it's *too* tight, try running the section under warm water for a few minutes and then try again.

Thanks to Wastelanded who informed me the feed was removable and that duct tape helps the process! :)

Beautiful writing, as always! I have an Esterbrook J with a 2048 nib, and it's very elegant, but one of the tines is a little sharp, and it cuts the paper if I am not careful. I've just found a new Esterbrook with a 9048 nib, and I hope the new one is easier to use!

Keep sharing your handwriting with us --especially more poems by Pessoa. My Portuguese is not as strong as it once was, but I love seeing the poetry you write out!

Hi HalloweenHJB,

Thanks for kind words. My Esterbrook 2048 nib is a little scratchy too and it's work better when I don't flex it too much.

Despite being Brazilian, Fernando Pessoa is one of my favorite poets. I'll try to post some American or English poem in the future.

:)

Hello everyone... Forgive the question but what do you call this script? It looks amazing!! will that look decent using a non flexible nib?

Hi Jadehawk,

I try to practice Copperplate and Spencerian style. I believe the Spencerian style fits better with not flexible pens because it shows less line variation.

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

[socrates]

Sometimes I post something about pens and penmanship at my blog

Instagram@carretera18

@carretera18

Thank you for your reply.. As I understand the font used on the picture I included of your penmanship is called Copperplate since you use a flex nib..

If you tried to write the same lines using a non flex nib how bad would it look?

@carretera18

Thank you for your reply.. As I understand the font used on the picture I included of your penmanship is called Copperplate since you use a flex nib..

If you tried to write the same lines using a non flex nib how bad would it look?

Hi Jadehawk,

This is a sample with my BIC. I prefer with semi flex nib... and you? :)

photo+%25288%2529.JPG

[socrates]

Instagram@carretera18

You can get line variation with a Bic - it's done with a completely different technique.

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

You can get line variation with a Bic - it's done with a completely different technique.

You can get shading too! Some of the best drawers I know prefer pasty Bic ink because you can smear it for shading tones and with pressure you can vary the line width and greyness.

You can get shading too! Some of the best drawers I know prefer pasty Bic ink because you can smear it for shading tones and with pressure you can vary the line width and greyness.

Hi Sinistral1 and Finalist,

Could provide some links to these tips?

thanks!

[socrates]

Instagram@carretera18