Don't Just Tell Us About The Pen You're Using, *show* Us!

OcalaFlGuy

Gosh Eduardo... they are SOOO SLIM!!!!... Makes the Targa looks like a fatty... :lticaptd:

Sorry guys... haven't posted anything in AGES!!!

fpn_1392997867__geha.jpg

One of my all times favorite..pen: Geha Schullfuller

Ink: Van Gogh Starry Night..

Love that Starry Night!!

Be forewarned... I will eye-bang the bejeezus out of your pens...
Never play leapfrog with a unicorn...

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• tringle

• Uncle Red

• dcpritch

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Arnold, I just got the Tac Pen, the nib is smooth but too fine for me. A replacement will be a problem since it's bigger than a Jowo #6. I wish it took a converter.

While I haven't tried it, it would seem to me that the Shrade Tactical Pen would accept any converter that is "international standard". Since the pen uses the international standard cartridge.

Uncle Red,

The only thing that keeps the Schrade pen from taking a standard international converter is the brass weight in the end of the barrel. It's tubular with one closed end and one open end, the open end being visible when you look into the barrel. I don't see any easy way to get it out.* But, if you can disassemble a converter and trim the knob by the amount that the barrel and section don't meet, then reassemble the converter, all should be well. The threaded shaft of the piston should fit into the open end of the weight after the larger diameter knob end is removed.

If you just trim the knob and shaft together, you will reduce the capacity of the converter because you won't be able to get a full stroke of the piston. I suppose you could trim the knob without disassembling the converter if you were extremely careful not to cut so deeply that the piston shaft is damaged.

This is theoretical, of course, I have not actually tried this. I simply use a syringe to refill empty cartridges.

*Afterthought: It might be possible to get a long screw to bite into the weight so that you could extract the weight. What that would do to the balance of the pen I couldn't say.

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

Uncle Red,

The only thing that keeps the Schrade pen from taking a standard international converter is the brass weight in the end of the barrel. It's tubular with one closed end and one open end, the open end being visible when you look into the barrel. I don't see any easy way to get it out.* But, if you can disassemble a converter and trim the knob by the amount that the barrel and section don't meet, then reassemble the converter, all should be well. The threaded shaft of the piston should fit into the open end of the weight after the larger diameter knob end is removed.

If you just trim the knob and shaft together, you will reduce the capacity of the converter because you won't be able to get a full stroke of the piston. I suppose you could trim the knob without disassembling the converter if you were extremely careful not to cut so deeply that the piston shaft is damaged.

This is theoretical, of course, I have not actually tried this. I simply use a syringe to refill empty cartridges.

*Afterthought: It might be possible to get a long screw to bite into the weight so that you could extract the weight. What that would do to the balance of the pen I couldn't say.

Not to be contradictory, but I don't think you'll have to do anything. The pen that I got came with a "ballpoint" point and full size replacement cartridge as well as the fountain pen point. In fact, here's a pic of me putting the converter I got with my Jinhao X450 in my Shrade Tactical Pen. It went into the pen pretty as you please. :)

post-110161-0-19770700-1393081665_thumb.jpg

Ah, the clear converters might work. The Schmidt converter is too long in mine, in fact I can't put a spare cart in the pen or an International long cart. I'd rather use up the carts I have than do surgery on a converter. I still need a new nib though.

20140218_201400.jpg

. Sorry I can't get it any clearer. When the cap goes on the ribbed part retracts into the body. It's 4 1/2" when capped.

Yes, it turns out that all converters are not equal. I did find that I have a Monteverde converter that comes very close to fitting. With the Monteverde converter installed in the section, the section can be threaded into the barrel but will not quite turn all the way down, it stops with a 1/10" gap between the section and barrel. It's usable that way, or you could trim the very end of the knob by that 1/10". Since the piston shaft doesn't even go back that far you don't even have to be very precise.

There could be any number of other converters out there that may work, or could be made to work. But the standard Schmidt, Waterman, etc. converters aren't even close to being able to fit into this pen without major surgery.

Also, I was wrong about my original assumption that the converters were hanging up on the brass weight in the end of the barrel. After careful measurements, I have determined that the knobs actually do fit into the opening in the weight and actually bottom out at the end of the barrel. Here is a photo of a generic Schmidt-type converter above a Monteverde converter showing the difference in the overall length.

http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/NTTFw,ykzNTNMM/7481094.0/org/p/Two_International_Style_Converters.jpg

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

post-80414-0-68948200-1393098939_thumb.jpg

post-80414-0-56656000-1393098962_thumb.png

Hi!

The Preppy with Noodler's Heart of Darkness is what i usually use to write checks, but find that it shows through too much for regular use on my Tops notebooks for classes, That's what the Lamy's are for, although there's a Pilot 78G F nib on order that i might change to :)

I need to improve my cursive and make it more consistent, reminds me of primary school and all of that little books... ugh, though i never used FP regularly until around the time i joined here.

Petro - that's great!

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_116c.jpg

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_116.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

English Parker 51 with what I think is a medium nib. Still need to do some research to date it. Ink is Diamine Sapphire Blue.

post-97540-0-22321500-1393166916_thumb.jpg

English Parker 51 with what I think is a medium nib. Still need to do some research to date it. Ink is Diamine Sapphire Blue.

See, that exercise book, that's the thing I need, nice work by the way. I've only been working on my hand for a couple weeks now and I've got lots of room for improvement.

Here's my modest offering for the day. My two workhorses. The Metro doesn't like the Noodlers, she didn't want to write at all this morning, guess it's back to the Iroshizuku after a good and thorough cleaning.

post-110646-0-70524800-1393169868_thumb.jpg

Nice shot of the pen and the ink. And the workbook. What workbook are you using?

---

Kenneth Moyle

Hamilton, Ontario

Nice shot of the pen and the ink. And the workbook. What workbook are you using?

See, that exercise book, that's the thing I need, nice work by the way. I've only been working on my hand for a couple weeks now and I've got lots of room for improvement.Here's my modest offering for the day. My two workhorses. The Metro doesn't like the Noodlers, she didn't want to write at all this morning, guess it's back to the Iroshizuku after a good and thorough cleaning.

Thanks! The workbook is "The Italic Way to Beautiful Handwriting, Cursive and Calligraphic", by Fred Eager. So far I like it, but it's catered to italic nibs, of which I have none.

I'm doing the same thing, no italic nibs so I just practice with my Safari. I just ordered a Noodler's Ahab, and I'm excited to see what I can make it do.

I have some italic nibs, but no workbook. I think I'll get one and see if it can help me with my writing. You guys/gals are awesome!

Ptero, great drawing of the Manatee. Very restrained and subtle, I think.

Here's the pen I inked today:

fpn_1393267775__nettuno_idra_minuskin_st

I'm having a hard time getting the colors to show as they really are, with our weak sun, but here are a couple of pics that give a good idea:

fpn_1393267844__nettuno_idra_minuskin_st

fpn_1393267962__nettuno_idra_minuskin_st

fpn_1393267866__nettuno_idra_minuskin_st

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

fpn_1393271361__img_4199.jpg[/url

Another Italian vintage pen I have inked today. Along with my old standard Sheaffer Flat Top with a big nail head nib.

fpn_1393271401__img_4195.jpg

fpn_1393271433__img_4196.jpg

fpn_1393271466__img_4197.jpg

Edited by tringle

David, DON"T YOU DARE change your writing !

It, is, purrrfect . . . :)

(as is your MBRG ink and pen marriage, again) :notworthy1:

tringle, your pen & ink marriage is a stunner too.

*Googles De Atramentis Communion INK, no joy : (

Edited by Tas