Don't Just Tell Us About The Pen You're Using, *show* Us!

OcalaFlGuy

fpn_1391050130__bozo.jpg

Pen is a Faber Castell Loom... Medium Nib, Black International Cartridge

fpn_1391054034__reply_jan_28.jpg

So, I ran out of ink cold on that last b... so....

fpn_1391058020__mixer.jpg

But, my mix is not producing the browns.. might need to adjust... Hmmmm... the mix does flow extremly well and takes a bit of time to dry on this art stock...

fpn_1391058143__test.jpg

Edited by Prvt. Toter

If you think everything is going well... you obviously have no idea what is really going on!

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• tringle

• Uncle Red

• dcpritch

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh Man! I cannot believe how much worse my handwriting looks when I take a picture and post it. :wacko:

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

So, I ran out of ink cold on that last b... so....

fpn_1391058020__mixer.jpg

But, my mix is not producing the browns.. might need to adjust... Hmmmm... the mix does flow extremly well and takes a bit of time to dry on this art stock...

fpn_1391058143__test.jpg

Yippee!!! That's fantastic. LOVE the name too.

Play around to your liking, I use 3 parts Sepia, 1 part Grey, 1 part Black but whatever makes it work for you. You may want to double up on the Sepia if you like.

The VHS is a very wet writer, that might play a role in the equation of colour. Not sure.

It's the washed out feel I went for though.

I feel a little bad that it's not really to your liking. I do my very best to show on screen what is on my paper - I use a regularly calibrated monitor as I've been burnt too many times by some on screen ink reviews that look NOTHING like the ink.

By the way that Esterbrook nib is gorgeous . . .

fpn_1391053451__image.jpg

Hi TedA.

None at all. In fact the opposite. I have a Pilot Parrallel Pen filled with just Sepia and it always needs a lick to start whereas my VHS (where the mix has been used exclusively in since Dec 25th) has been faultless. I wonder why R&K have said that. I'll have a Google and see. thanks.

Edited by Tas

To whom this may concern. TedA is right. I just lifted this from paperandco.com's site.

Why does R&K not recommend that Sepia be mixed with other inks unless it is used immediately?

Is there a PH difference? What is the reaction if it is stored for a long period—sludge?
About the Sepia ink : why a mix ink made with Sepia ink have to be used immediately and the pen cleaned after use?

Sepia contains a dye that is not compatible with the dyes used in the other inks. This could lead to flocculation.

R&K obviously know what they're talking about but as I've not had ANY issues in over a month I will continue to use my mix but not try to make another concoction.

Apologies to those who may have had a go. :blush:

Edited by Tas

Ok, so I mixed 3:2:2 and that explains the coloration, but... I also mixed 70 mL.... I will run an experiment and leave the remaining mix undesterbed and chedk it in a week.. I will let you know... as for the mix in my pen... i am going to use it as it is awesome... I really have no fears with the esterbrook as I can just pull the sac and ultrasonically clean the nib.. I will let you all know... By the way, it looks totally awesome on cream paper.

RW

If you think everything is going well... you obviously have no idea what is really going on!

70ml?
You loon, ha!

So glad you like it :bunny01: and yes it loves cream paper - that Seawhite of Brighton pad and Tomoe River paper really make it sing.

I mix inks all the time but not that many become keepers like this one.

Just so you know, I've had 20ml sitting in a bottle on my desk since early Jan, no "flocculation" to be seen. Lucky I guess.

I think you misunderstood what R&K is saying.

R&K states, that all THEIR inks are compatible and mixable with each other to create whatever color you like, except Sepia (as the mix might not be stable for a longer time).

But this is only related to mixing R&K inks with other R&K inks, and say nothing at all about mixing with other ink brands.

No manufacturer will state something about mixing with other brands.

IMO It is remarkable that R&K publishes that mixing THEIR inks together is possible (beside Sepia).

Not many manufacturers publish such info.

So this say nothing about the stability of your mix, by mixing 3 different brands (only 1 of them is a R&K ink).

Ahh. OK. I get it, thank you.

fpn_1391035497__sheaffertuckaway.jpg

Dug mine out and boy have I missed it!
Thank you.

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_sheaffer_triumph_1942.jpg
(Please excuse the double post - couldn't resist showing it in the 'What is A "real" fountain pen' thread)
Edited by Tas

Great stuff!!!

I'll post up stuff soon.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Write not type.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_065b.jpg

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_065.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Is than an m800, m600, or m400 size, amberleadavis? I've got the m600 and m400, and I love the dark blue colour!

I think it's an M200. I bought it in 2005? I think. It's small and light weight. I purchased three and gave the other two as gifts. This is my favorite pen to use. It has a BB nib.

Mock trial doodles.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_069b.jpg

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_069.jpg

First day with a flex pen! Love it.

I noticed I can't whip through the thin strokes as fast as I'd like or it dries at about the half way point of a circle and then will start again. If I slow down it works very well. The softness feels fantastic compared to my EF TWSBI mini. That spring back soft feeling is amazing. I need more flex pens. No more nails.

Hi Amber,
I hope drawing/painting is also ok ;)
As you liked my Red Dragon I made another dragon. :P

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/571/8l7p.jpg

Used tools:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/854/goz1.jpg

(Staedler Retro 0.5 - 3H)
(Serwex MB - flex EMF ..... ESS Registrars Blue/Black)
(Pegasus 2/0 Red Sable)
(Montblanc 344 - OB ..... Rohrer & Klingner Helianthus)
(Parker 45 Flighter - F ..... Rohrer & Klingner Leipziger Schwarz)
(Pelikan 140 - OF ..... Rohrer & Klingner Blu Mare)
(Pelikan 400 - OM ..... Rohrer & Klingner Solferino)

Sweet! Great colors and subject matter - how did you know that Vespas are the chosen mode of transportation for most blue dragons?

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

Sweet! Great colors and subject matter - how did you know that Vespas are the chosen mode of transportation for most blue dragons?

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/853/mztg.jpg

(Montblanc 344 - OB ..... Rohrer & Klingner Helianthus)

Edited by Pterodactylus