Don't Just Tell Us About The Pen You're Using, *show* Us!

OcalaFlGuy

fpn_1371429771__dscf0027.jpg

fpn_1371429801__dscf0028.jpg

Be forewarned... I will eye-bang the bejeezus out of your pens...
Never play leapfrog with a unicorn...

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• tringle

• Uncle Red

• dcpritch

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

fpn_1371430185__dscf0029.jpg

The line variation is SOOOOOOOO IMPRESSIVE.... :puddle:

Did Nathan design an affordable Wet Noodle ??? :cloud9:

P.S.... That Black ink is GORGEOUS... :drool: and I do not like Black inks in general... (I do not own any black ink)

fpn_1371430185__dscf0029.jpg

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

A shot of the pen in hand (and I have fairly big hands), plus the end result...

fpn_1371473385__dscf0032.jpg

fpn_1371473655__dscf0033.jpg

The black ink from the NE Pen Show is a deep rich black - I really like it. It dries extremely slowly with this pen, on Black and Red paper. On Clairefontaine, it's slow, but not egregiously so. Filler paper eats it up and bleeds right through (this pen lays down a heavy, VERY wet line, so, that's expected). It is an amazing flex, such that even a complete novice (me) gets some pretty astounding results - now if I can learn to control it... Yes, yes, Master Yoda, I must learn [[expletive deleted]] control...

XF or XXF at the narrow end...

fpn_1371473929__dscf0034.jpg

to "Mother of God How thick is THAT??" at the thick end...

fpn_1371474154__dscf0035.jpg

Ignore the fact that my scrawlings look like some drunken chimp has molested a dizzy chicken, half drowned it in ink, shared some of his bourbon (he's a generous chimp) and then turned the chicken loose on the paper to stumble home... This pen is amazing, and I'm working on learning to use it... ;-)

Size comparisons, for folks not yet aware...

Top to bottom:
Noodler's Neponset with flex nib

Noodler's Neponset with music nib

Noodler's Ahab

Noodler's Creaper

Esterbrook J with 2668 nib

fpn_1371488434__dscf0039.jpg

Safe to say, the Neponset is a huge pen...

post-81520-0-55670700-1371493638_thumb.jpg

Flexy stuff. Very strange for me to use since I never used flexy mode before. :P

"Every man has his secret sorrows which the world knows not; and often at times we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q794/china_line/FPN_17juni13_zps4c97480b.jpg

Pen: Pan jr. with donor nib from Eagle pen

Ink: Iroshizuku fuyu-gaki

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q794/china_line/eaglenibonpanjr_zpsddcabf9c.jpg

donor nib from eagle pen

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q794/china_line/FPN_signatur2_zps0fbd4f6c.jpg

Ah, that donor pen looks way to good to destroy! :(

It is cracked in the "pump end", so it doesn't hold together. Probablybsome way to fix it, but I don't know how. Super glue, maybe?

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q794/china_line/FPN_signatur2_zps0fbd4f6c.jpg

It is cracked in the "pump end", so it doesn't hold together. Probablybsome way to fix it, but I don't know how. Super glue, maybe?

sadly, probably not since it's hard rubber, and inclined to crack with age... it could be used as a dip pen however.

nice looking even with its issues.

sadly, probably not since it's hard rubber, and inclined to crack with age... it could be used as a dip pen however.

nice looking even with its issues.

I agree, it is a pity! I wouldn't have robbed it if it wasn't cracked. Anyway, I'll keep it. Using it as a dip pen is no bad idea :-)

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Tutuguans/0617131646-1_zps5e2ae438.jpg

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Tutuguans/0617131649_zps79e628c6.jpg

GClef, that looks like a Wahl at the bottom so I'll guess that one.

Line, Oh, yeah you can't fix hard rubber. Too bad but it's a good donor pen then.

Since I can easily see the line variation.. I will guess some flex... .The Noodler's Flex..

The one in the middle... (beside the Blue Esterbrook)

Nope

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

OK, I am still pretty new at this flex thing, but, I'm working on it, and learning... That said, below is a review of the Neponset with Nathan's new (actually old Esterbrook) flex nib that he fitted on there, yesterday... In short, it is an amazing pen...A transcription of my scribbling follows..

fpn_1371503771__neponset-pg1.jpg

fpn_1371503977__neponset-pg2.jpg

fpn_1371504335__neponset-pg3.jpg

Noodler's Neponset with Flex Nib

Nathan, chief cook, alchemsit and bottle washer at Noodler's built this pen for me, yesterday, at the New England Fountain Pen Expo. He warned me, as he fitted the nib over an alcohol burner, that, particularly if held vertically, nib down, this pen might "drool" a bit, but, he failed to warn me of just how much I would drool over it. Apparently, I am not alone in that!

The pen, itself, is one of the Neponset line, and it is huge. Larger than the Ahab, which was already considerable, it rivals the Mont Blanc 149 for sheer immensity. Even the understated elegance of a black pen with silver trim is offset by the scale of this pen. Anything more would be ostentatious. As it is, it commands attention and respect, like Robert Wadlo walking into a bank. Then, off comes the cap...

This stunning, imposingly elegant pen has something special. The nib looks like bronze. It has none of the silver or gold commonly seen; it is brown, and it is sharp, and it is big. Jutting out nearly half again as far as a modern counterpoint, the nib tapers to a sharp, needle-like point. Something is very, very odd here - delightfully so. And that is before it hits the paper.

You know that sound you hear in the movies, when some old man is writing with his feather pen? That "scritch scritch scritch" of a sharp point catching the fibers of the paper parchment? That's the sound of this nib on the smoothest papers I own. I find, and despite my having large hands, I have a very light hand when writing, that I cannot make this nib not write. If it is in contact with the paper, so too is ink. And once the ink is flowing, this writer does not want to stop!

Now, for this pen to flex requires very little pressure, and that is something I will need to learn to control. The variability of this nib, which is extreme, mandates that it also be quite wet - in fact, Nathan recommended I not even ink it until ready to write, to prevent the pen's initial potential to drool, but, once inked, we're off and running with an enviable variation.

[some scribbles] Yes, it will go wider, but not controllably so in my hands...

Since I can easily see the line variation.. I will guess some flex... .The Noodler's Flex..

The one in the middle... (beside the Blue Esterbrook)

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Tutuguans/0617131730_zpsad51222b.jpg