Don't Just Tell Us About The Pen You're Using, *show* Us!

OcalaFlGuy

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• tringle

• Uncle Red

• dcpritch

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag32/akustyk/CAM00492_zpsf3f1444d.jpg

At one end of the scale are the Indian HR pens that Peyton Street Pens started selling. Teri is alligning the Indian nibs or replacing them with Western ones.

In the middle you can get an Ebonite pen in lots of patterns from either Watch_art or Edison Pens.

Towards the top of the scale is

http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/?s=gaw&gclid=CO-t8Lq-rLYCFYqf4Aodq3UA2w

Edited by Uncle Red

Link to the "ebonite pens" page of FPH

Link didn't work....search"ebonite"

Edited by esterbex

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

hey guys its been like a week and suddenly i have.....

post-102276-0-85168700-1364928897.jpg

7 fountain pens, and thats not including my Esties.. (or should that be Esti plura!!!)

dan

I had to share this one, and this seems about the best spot to do so... Sunday, I was sitting out in the front yard, watching the neighborhood kids play. They saw me doing this weird thing... I was using this stick-like object, and making these odd scratching, scraping sounds upon a rather bizarre flat, crinkly substance. Somehow, that action left behind a foreign, dark green, oozy substance that seemed to intrigue them... They approached and asked what I was doing...

My reply "just working on my handwriting a bit..." seemed to confuse them... All six girls - early teens - stood and stared in stunned silence as I kept making the strange scratching noises... May have been silent for all of 15 seconds... One finally ventured "whoa... that's the coolest pen I ever saw!" I replied that a very dear friend of mine had given it to me. "What is it?" they wondered. "This is a fountain pen," I responded, "and once you start writing with a nice one, you won't ever want to use anything else..." I inquired as to whether they would like to try one, themselves (first one's free kiddies; next one will cost ya...), and they all jumped at the chance...

I took out my Midori notebook, unrolled my pen roll (to which one gasped "Oh my Gosh! Do you, like, collect those??"), explained what each was, and allowed them to choose their implements of ink and instruction... Within moments, they had all tried one pen or another (a couple of pens were off limits - "they're special to me, and will be in my hands only," quoth the ERB, "for evermore...")... I managed to save one of the scraps of paper where a couple of the girls had scribbled... I was testing to see just how small I could write with the EF nib of my Prera, so, I had prior claim...

fpn_1364928663__pen_action.jpg

Some ink from the prior page smudged, but, one of the girls made a few hesitant strokes with the Romus ("Well go on! give it a wave!"). Another, shy, wrote "hi", and the boldest of them wrote me her name...

You would have thought I had given those girls the moon... I touched base with some of their parents, and told them that, if the interest continued, I would be happy to help them get started into the joys of fine writing instruments (at least as far as I had experienced them, myself).

I can't wait for them to see me enjoying a cigar and a snort of bourbon next weekend... :-D

Be forewarned... I will eye-bang the bejeezus out of your pens...
Never play leapfrog with a unicorn...

hey guys its been like a week and suddenly i have.....

post-102276-0-85168700-1364928897.jpg

7 fountain pens, and thats not including my Esties.. (or should that be Esti plura!!!)

dan

Be careful Dan... They breed in the dark recesses of a desk drawer... That's why I keep mine either on display, in separate tubes in my pen roll, or in my hand...

That is a PRICELESS story Zon !!! :cloud9:

Nurturing next generation's love for fine writing instruments..and writing in itself.. should be the goal of everyone in the Fountain Pen Community... :thumbup:

I had to share this one, and this seems about the best spot to do so... Sunday, I was sitting out in the front yard, watching the neighborhood kids play. They saw me doing this weird thing... I was using this stick-like object, and making these odd scratching, scraping sounds upon a rather bizarre flat, crinkly substance. Somehow, that action left behind a foreign, dark green, oozy substance that seemed to intrigue them... They approached and asked what I was doing...

My reply "just working on my handwriting a bit..." seemed to confuse them... All six girls - early teens - stood and stared in stunned silence as I kept making the strange scratching noises... May have been silent for all of 15 seconds... One finally ventured "whoa... that's the coolest pen I ever saw!" I replied that a very dear friend of mine had given it to me. "What is it?" they wondered. "This is a fountain pen," I responded, "and once you start writing with a nice one, you won't ever want to use anything else..." I inquired as to whether they would like to try one, themselves (first one's free kiddies; next one will cost ya...), and they all jumped at the chance...

I took out my Midori notebook, unrolled my pen roll (to which one gasped "Oh my Gosh! Do you, like, collect those??"), explained what each was, and allowed them to choose their implements of ink and instruction... Within moments, they had all tried one pen or another (a couple of pens were off limits - "they're special to me, and will be in my hands only," quoth the ERB, "for evermore...")... I managed to save one of the scraps of paper where a couple of the girls had scribbled... I was testing to see just how small I could write with the EF nib of my Prera, so, I had prior claim...

[iMAGE]

Some ink from the prior page smudged, but, one of the girls made a few hesitant strokes with the Romus ("Well go on! give it a wave!"). Another, shy, wrote "hi", and the boldest of them wrote me her name...

You would have thought I had given those girls the moon... I touched base with some of their parents, and told them that, if the interest continued, I would be happy to help them get started into the joys of fine writing instruments (at least as far as I had experienced them, myself).

I can't wait for them to see me enjoying a cigar and a snort of bourbon next weekend... :-D

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Poor little things... When I told them how the ink would get under their skin and make them crave more, they thought I was joking...

That is a PRICELESS story Zon !!! :cloud9:

Nurturing next generation's love for fine writing instruments..and writing in itself.. should be the goal of everyone in the Fountain Pen Community... :thumbup:

zoniguana: great story! :thumbup:

post-98688-0-41612800-1364932881.jpg

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q794/china_line/FPN_signatur2_zps0fbd4f6c.jpg

fpn_1364931723__pens_open.jpg

Ok, so I have a couple more inked... Somehow they just seem to get ink in them! Almost time for me to clean the lot. There were a couple of questions about what the pens were..

Across the top…

Kawaeco AlSport

Copper Esterbrook J 2668 nib

Noodlers Flex pen Psychedelic Pumpkin

Waterman Expert II

Across the bottom

Zebra V301 ($2.99 at Walgreens)

Parker Sonnet

Pilot Vanishing Point

Rotring 600

Eberhard Faber Permapoint

Esterbrook J Green 9048 buttery smoth nib

Esterbrook Black J 9128 SEF nib

Edited by Prvt. Toter

If you think everything is going well... you obviously have no idea what is really going on!

@Zon --- you're neighborhood ink dealer. Good job!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

@Zon --- you're neighborhood ink dealer. Good job!

In so many ways, I corrupt this neighborhood... I could almost be the next Ben Rumson... :unsure:

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj229/Popsjill/pens/DSCN1343_zps8fd98029.jpg

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag32/akustyk/CAM00493_zpsef76775d.jpg

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag32/akustyk/CAM00494-1_zps5f8bc374.jpg

Edited by akustyk

---

Please, visit my website at http://www.acousticpens.com/

Some more fun with my neighbors... When I was building the pergola in the back yard, the neighbor's kids came over to "help." When we finished up, I went inside, grabbed a couple beers, emptied the bottles, rinsed & filled with water, and grabbed a couple more for myself and their dad... Came back outside, and handed everybody a bottle... His eyebrows popped when he saw his kids slug it back (one was 5, the other, 7, at the time). He already knew I was up to something, so, he just rolled with it. Then their mother came over...

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj229/Popsjill/pens/DSCN1343_zps8fd98029.jpg

Zon - that is an awesome story. Well, both stories, what did the mom have to say????

Zon - that is an awesome story. Well, both stories, what did the mom have to say????

Oh in case you did not see this the first time.

Edited by tringle

She wanted to know where her beer was... ;-)

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag32/akustyk/CAM00494-1_zps5f8bc374.jpg

Thanks!

I use fountain pen ink on dip nibs, but it is probably not the best ink for this purpose, cause it drops too fast from the nib. It's better to use sumi ink for manga drawing, I think. This ink is a bit thick and "sticky", which I don't like, but the line gets better. I would like to find something in between these two inks (thicker than fountain pen ink, but not as sticky as manga ink). I've read somewhere that India ink is good, whatever that is... I wonder; is it a trademark or a special kind of ink formula?

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q794/china_line/FPN_signatur2_zps0fbd4f6c.jpg